How do I buy a Birkin?

Hello ladies,

I am shocked at how much you suffer to get a Birkin!

I have been in the Paris store in June. There were so many tourists (including me) there. Except for the SAs, I don't think I saw a single French person there.

I saw quite a few Kellys and Birkins. Somehow they felt cheap, the way all these tourists want to own something that's clearly hyped for profit but not exemplary of the best handbag quality and beauty.

I used to dream of owning a Kelly or a Birkin when I couldn't afford it. Now I can, yet I lost the desire for it. I can think of so many other fun things I can buy or do with 10,000 USD.

In short, I suggest that you fly out to Paris and bump into what's on the floor or place an order there.

Having done a lot of shopping globally, I can attest the French keep their best pieces (not just Hermes, but other designers as well) in their capital. Go for it there!

Forget your local bullying, snobbish SA and buy your ticket to Paris while they spend their miserable lives feeling better about themselves by putting others down, while you can enjoy kick-ass shopping in Paris with your Birkin!

Yippee! :yahoo:I couldn't have said it better myself! In fact, when we went back to Toronto this past summer, I didn't even bother to look, because the relationship with SA's here in Europe is so much more relaxed, and I never realized there was such a process to cultivate an SA.

That's why the thread I started about if my Hubby could get one in Bahrain this weekend was honest, not naive (The post about being a virgin in the Shopping section here, sorry I can't remember how to LINK!!). That's just how it is here. It appears we are very lucky in this respect!!

Anybody wanna come visit yer Old World PF members????:graucho: :yahoo:

Wooohooo, we're gonna have a Christmas rush!!!:nuts:

well, heres my two cents.... I'm in Norway, and i called the store in Oslo up (live in a different city) and said I wanted to order one. Would be fine to do so on the phone, the SA said, and i said I wanted a 35 in epsom in Ebene. He was unsure that they made it in that colour still, and I told him then that chocholate would be fine to order if they didn't do ebene. He saif it might take a year or so.... So we'll see.
He also asked if he should give me a call if any other brown tones became availiable, so I said as long as it was a brownish colour and in either togo, fjord or epsom it would be fine.

We'll see. I will keep you posted if and when I get the call... but it did seem to the SA that there was not more to placing an order than that....

do norway ship oversea?
well, heres my two cents.... I'm in Norway, and i called the store in Oslo up (live in a different city) and said I wanted to order one. Would be fine to do so on the phone, the SA said, and i said I wanted a 35 in epsom in Ebene. He was unsure that they made it in that colour still, and I told him then that chocholate would be fine to order if they didn't do ebene. He saif it might take a year or so.... So we'll see.
He also asked if he should give me a call if any other brown tones became availiable, so I said as long as it was a brownish colour and in either togo, fjord or epsom it would be fine.

We'll see. I will keep you posted if and when I get the call... but it did seem to the SA that there was not more to placing an order than that....

Just bumping this one up as I was in paris last wk for a week and in paris I couldn't buy a hermes bag. The sa said don't bother buying in europe as they r alwats out of stock and don't take orders so u pretty much need to be there at the right time. She said just buy in aust or wherever there's availability even if more expensive... Where do u guys buy from ? Anyone done phone orders before?? Since I prob can't keep going back randomly hoping they have stock! Or what to suggest??

I lust over images of the Birkin, I couldn't even imagine having the money to buy one, how lucky you ladies are!

Having said that, if I did have that sort of money, to spend on an accessory, I obviously have an overinflated view of how I would be treated! I am picturing champagne in tall glasses, to be fed grapes and fanned by a Hermes scarf. No? Why not?

You're spending an absolute fortune on their merchandise, and they can turn to you and say 'no'? There are people buying these SAs gifts to stay in favour? I never imagined that this was necessary, as well as simply having the funds in the first place, in order to buy one of their handbags.

Come on ladies! This company would be nothing if you didn't purchase their bags and accessories, you deserve to be treated with respect and gratitude for not taking your money elsewhere, this is madness!!

• Haha
Reactions: Muffin_Top
I think you'll find that whilst a lot of us have heard a 'sorry it's not available at the moment' most of us are extremely well treated in the H shops we visit. I for one have never bought something in a boutique when I thought the service was underpar... be it H or another brand. In my opinion (and that's just my opinion) H SAs treat customers with a lot better service than other luxury brands.

From there to expecting champagne, I don't know,... when I'm shopping I'm shopping, not interested in sitting down for a drink! But I love receiving invites to special events :smile:

Just my 2 cents and I hope this is helpful. Just came back from the South of France. Was unsuccessful in scoring my "Holy Grail" of Birkins (orange Jpg 2) but was offered a Box black Birkin 35 in the Cannes store by the most awesome of SA's (her name is Sophia). She said that technically right now the waiting list is closed but she 'happened' to have one in the back that a very picky other customer was not interested in. What a love. I almost bought it, if it had been any other leather that was more slouchy. Mind you, I felt a little intimidated in Monaco , and there was very little inventory in Beaulieu and Aix for some reason. Basically I think if you are kind and respectful you will be treated similarly. I speak French fluently, but don't know if that really matters. Quite frankly, I think you are better off at bigger stores with more inventory since some of this seems to be luck.

well, i will purchase any birkin if they offer to me
Just my 2 cents and I hope this is helpful. Just came back from the South of France. Was unsuccessful in scoring my "Holy Grail" of Birkins (orange Jpg 2) but was offered a Box black Birkin 35 in the Cannes store by the most awesome of SA's (her name is Sophia). She said that technically right now the waiting list is closed but she 'happened' to have one in the back that a very picky other customer was not interested in. What a love. I almost bought it, if it had been any other leather that was more slouchy. Mind you, I felt a little intimidated in Monaco , and there was very little inventory in Beaulieu and Aix for some reason. Basically I think if you are kind and respectful you will be treated similarly. I speak French fluently, but don't know if that really matters. Quite frankly, I think you are better off at bigger stores with more inventory since some of this seems to be luck.

Hi, is there a way of talk to the SA when looking for a birkin?

Like I read a lot of post sayin, u are not suppose to jump in and ask if they have a birkin in store, u need to "work ur way to it"

But how exactly is the "work ur way around it?"

Any tips? Tks for sharing ur experience.