How do I buy a Birkin?

Dont forget to check the other resellers, LZ, Jemz, Luxwear! They often have lovely bags for less that some of the markups on Ebay.

And dont forget to look at the Hermes threads for the Kelly and bolide, these are lovely bags as well, and a big orange box with one of those inside may make your wait easier!!!

Good luck!

I'm wondering if there is such a big difference between Europe and US.
In Europe nobody has to buy anything to get on a waitlist. 2 years a go I told my husband that I would like to own a birkin for a birthdaypresent and that it would take some time to get one. AND I wanted a red Shoulder B with palladium. So the SA told him, it might take a while cause there was no red collection at that time. After 15 month my bag was ready to collect. And I had the piece I wanted in the color and size! Buy the way: In the meantime I was offered to four other Birkins if I had changed my mind. The first offer came about 1 month after the reservation for a black one, second brown after 4 month .. There are always people who order a piece and cannot afford at the time the bag comes in. So they call you and you have 48hours for your decision. Thats the way how it works in Europe all round.

I think its a matter of luck, first time i went to H store for a birkin, i was lucky enough to find it available, in the size/color that i wanted!! however for my 2nd birkin it took many many visits and phone calls, but it eventually happened. Goodluck and just stay positive :yes:

Just to be sure--you might want to go in to H and try on bags. You might find that one or the other shape is more complimentary. I thought I was a B gal, but I'm not. Other bags look better on me. Good luck!

The bolide (outside of these forums) is a very underrated bag. I think it's quite a lovely design as well. :smile:

Vanmiracle--Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. :smile:

My family already had an established relationship with the local boutique here so my DH and I were able to get lucky. My black one did take like almost 3 years to get.

Sometimes, you just get lucky too. Call other stores as well. It depends on the SA and what kind of mood they're in. ;)

Sorry but if a purchase depends on the "mood" of the SA then I'd take my money and go elsewhere!

I hate SA's that look you up and down and decide in a split second whether you are deemed "worthy" of owning "their" brand. Given that many SA couldn't afford ANYTHING in some of these shops, I think they have a cheek! :cursing:

Personally, I think the Birkin is overated myself. OK, so you have to have a few dollars in the olde bank to buy one but they aren't that exclusive and to be told what colour you can and can't have is a joke...The prices seem really high for what you get (I've been looking at the Evelyne bag as I like the style - at least you can distribute the weight across your shoulder with that one :yes:) but it's not even lined! When I'm spending that amount of hard earned cash on a bag, I expect it to be really high quality...afterall, I can now buy a Emilio Pucci leather handbag in TK Maxx for $100! (I bought a gorgeous Pucci purse that was originally $400 for $25 about a week ago!).

Anyway, before I get flamed for hating Hermes, I do love their scarves and some of the colours of their bags are gorgeous but I would NEVER want to feel that I'm somehow inferior to any SA and not worthy Hermes or not!

Rant over.
:wtf:

Especially when you can find (really quickly) "Birkins, Evelynes" etc on a website such as

With prices starting at $190 or so [seemingly including dustbag and card of authenticity - granted, it's an authentic fake but from a distance would most people be able to tell the difference?].:shrugs:

With these sorts of prices, I'd assume a good lot of Ebay bags are "authentic fakes"...guess it's a case of buyer beware.

I know that in Edinburgh, although there is a LV store, many of the bags being carried along Princes Street are from market stores and that if you are carrying a geniune LV bag, everybody thinks it's a fake anyway!!:roflmfao:

I'm wondering if there is such a big difference between Europe and US.

Yep, all my Hermes bags are from Europe. I'm not as patient as the other lovely PF members. I don't have the time to visit the local H btq every month:sad:. I usually order my bag in Europe and voila...within 1 yr (more or less depending on the leather/color), I get it. Personally, flying to Europe for me to pick up a Birkin is easier than to buy small pieces at a time at the local H btq. FYI, I asked an SA in BH how I'd be able to put my name in for a Birkin and he mentioned...."Keep buying from just 1 SA". I figured out there are way more H btqs in Europe as compared to US. Hence, the ease in ordering a bag. Also,the desire in the US is much stronger than in Europe eversince the entertainment industry has hyped the bag up so much in the last 10 yrs.

When I was at Harrods, I asked for a Birkin and the SA offered me an Orange Ostrich. But that was not what I wanted.

And my friend's mom once walked-in into Hermes (I think it was the one in Sloane Street) and got herself a Red Birkin. BTW, she was just a tourist. :biggrin: