Zoe Kravitz

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but her cheeks look especially swollen in the most recent pictures. Normally they look high and almost sharp, and in these pictures she looks like she has fillers (or has been punched), which would be absurd because her cheekbones are already so prominent...

Zoe Kravitz to Star as Catwoman in 'The Batman'

By Borys Kit

The actress tested last week opposite Robert Pattinson.

Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.’ upcoming The Batman has found its Catwoman: Zoe Kravitz has nabbed the role of one of the highest-profile members of the Caped Crusader's rogue's gallery, according to several sources.

The decision came down over the weekend after a rigorous testing process that saw saw Ana de Armas, Ella Balinska, Eiza Gonzalez and Kravitz read with Robert Pattinson, who is set to play the Dark Knight. The testing process occurred over the first week of the month, and the four were then narrowed to two late last week.

Reeves is directing what is described as a grounded take with a large rogue’s gallery as the antagonists. Jeffrey Wright is already on board as Batman ally Commissioner Jim Gordon.

Catwoman is one of Batman’s classic foes who also happens to be one of his longest-lasting loves. A cat burglar whose weapon of choice is a whip, the antihero is the alter ego of Selina Kyle. She was a fixture on the 1960s Batman television show, on which she was played by Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt. Michelle Pfeiffer portrayed the character in her most popular big-screen incarnation, 1992’s Batman Returns, while Halle Berry toplined a 2004 solo outing, which bombed at the box office. Anne Hathaway also played the character in 2012's The Dark Knight Rises.

Kravitz is already well-known at Warners, as she has appeared as Leta Lestrange in the studio’s Harry Potter Fantastic Beasts spinoffs. She also voiced the role of Catwoman in 2017’s The Batman Lego Movie.

Kravitz recently co-starred on HBO’s Big Little Lies and is set to star in the small-screen version of High Fidelity, which is being made for Hulu.

The Batman is set to open June 25, 2021.

Hollywood Reporter

Zoe Kravitz to Star as Catwoman in 'The Batman'

By Borys Kit

The actress tested last week opposite Robert Pattinson.

Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.’ upcoming The Batman has found its Catwoman: Zoe Kravitz has nabbed the role of one of the highest-profile members of the Caped Crusader's rogue's gallery, according to several sources.

The decision came down over the weekend after a rigorous testing process that saw saw Ana de Armas, Ella Balinska, Eiza Gonzalez and Kravitz read with Robert Pattinson, who is set to play the Dark Knight. The testing process occurred over the first week of the month, and the four were then narrowed to two late last week.

Reeves is directing what is described as a grounded take with a large rogue’s gallery as the antagonists. Jeffrey Wright is already on board as Batman ally Commissioner Jim Gordon.

Catwoman is one of Batman’s classic foes who also happens to be one of his longest-lasting loves. A cat burglar whose weapon of choice is a whip, the antihero is the alter ego of Selina Kyle. She was a fixture on the 1960s Batman television show, on which she was played by Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt. Michelle Pfeiffer portrayed the character in her most popular big-screen incarnation, 1992’s Batman Returns, while Halle Berry toplined a 2004 solo outing, which bombed at the box office. Anne Hathaway also played the character in 2012's The Dark Knight Rises.

Kravitz is already well-known at Warners, as she has appeared as Leta Lestrange in the studio’s Harry Potter Fantastic Beasts spinoffs. She also voiced the role of Catwoman in 2017’s The Batman Lego Movie.

Kravitz recently co-starred on HBO’s Big Little Lies and is set to star in the small-screen version of High Fidelity, which is being made for Hulu.

The Batman is set to open June 25, 2021.

Hollywood Reporter
Wow! Great decision, she'll be perfect for the role of catwoman!
I'm really looking forward to this, although I'm not so sure about Robert Pattinson as batman but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. TBH anything is better than Ben Affleck :yucky:

Attending the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards on January 05, 2020 in Beverly Hills, California.

Tumblr
ENjssU2X0AAqVI4

ENjtT8IXYAA7kvF

ENjtiJLXkAEdD4n

Zoë Kravitz Has Finally Found Her Zen
With a new husband, two seasons of Big Little Lies under her belt, and a starring role in a buzzy series on Hulu, Zoë Kravitz has plenty to smile about. So why is she crying?

BY
FIONA GOLFAR

I've made Zoë Kravitz cry. I’ve only been sitting with her for three minutes, and tears are trickling down her unbearably beautiful face. It’s an unusual way to start an interview.

When Kravitz arrived for afternoon tea at the Rose Bakery nestled at the top of London’s coolest store, Dover Street Market, full of instant hugs and apologies for being a bit late due to oversleeping from jet lag, I told her that we shared a sentimental connection. Around 30 years ago, I was staying on Harbour Island in the Bahamas with a boyfriend who had a young daughter back in London named Zoe. While we were there, we made friends with a fellow guest, a warm and friendly woman named Roxie who was thrilled to have just become a grandmother. “Look,” she said, opening a locket around her neck. “That’s my Zoë.”

I later learned that Roxie was Lenny Kravitz’s mother—but to me she will always be the vivacious woman in white high heels with whom I spent a night dancing in a tin shack.

The boyfriend didn’t last, but as Zoë grew up—in the glare of the public eye thanks to the fame and extraordinary beauty of her parents—I watched her affectionately from a distance.

Now here we were, crying. “I lost my grandmother when I was seven, and it’s kind of overwhelming to meet someone out of the blue who carries a piece of your history, but in a nice way,” she says, reaching over the table, affectionately clasping my hands between her own tiny tattooed ones. Her wedding finger is host to a five-stone, rose-cut eighteenth-century diamond engagement ring and a twisted gold band from her recent wedding to the actor Karl Glusman. Her nails are covered in the raggedy remnants of apple-green nail polish.

I am instantly besotted by this glimmering creature sitting in makeup-free perfection, who’s ordered a ginger and honey tea with a double espresso chaser to help wake her up. She is absolutely not what I was expecting. I had anticipated an overtired actress who, as the scion of rock ’n’ roll royalty, loathes interviews and interviewers and is wary of letting anyone see the secrets behind those languid lidded eyes. Certainly, her onscreen persona appears much cooler and more distant than she is. In person, she comes across as a warm, friendly, sensitive, and smart young woman. She’s 30 but looks younger. Her hair is chopped pixie-short, and she’s dressed in a black The Row cashmere sweater, Dickies black work pants, and zip-front boots, her tiny waist cinched with a silver-buckled vintage black leather belt. “Fashion, it’s an addiction,” she admits as she shoves her crinkled-leather Saint Laurent bag (she is a global ambassador of Yves Saint Laurent Beauty, and a brand ambassador for Saint Laurent) onto the windowsill next to her.

Kravitz is in London filming opposite Robert Pattinson in Matt Reeves’s upcoming movie The Batman, in which she plays Catwoman, but today she has come to talk about another project that is close to her heart: the new gender-flipped Hulu series High Fidelity. In addition to serving as one of the show’s executive producers, she also stars as Rob. The show is based on the classic relationship novel—one of the first to be written from the male point of view—by the British author Nick Hornby. Published in 1995 and adapted as a movie in 2000 starring John Cusack, it tells the story of Rob, a failing record-shop owner with an equally hopeless love life. The film was a hit, with a legendary breakout performance from Jack Black—and a love interest role for Kravitz’s own mother, Lisa Bonet (she played one of Rob’s paramours, a singer named Marie De Salle). Watching the two performances in close succession, the resemblance between mother and daughter is uncanny.

The 10-part series follows Rob, who has a habit of replacing her real opinions and feelings for a series of “top five” lists. When her boyfriend Mac (played by Kingsley Ben-Adir) breaks up with her, she makes a list of her top five relationships and goes on a mission to discover where she has gone wrong. As she examines her failed attempts at romance and happiness, she is forced to examine her own behavior and is dragged, albeit reluctantly, toward adulthood.

There will no doubt be talk about this show being a “woke” attempt by Hollywood to check many of the current PC boxes: a beautiful woman of color playing a famously downbeat male lead. But Kravitz is not interested in beating the “politically correct” drum. It’s the content that speaks to her.

“The part of Rob is the closest thing to me I have ever played,” Kravitz tells me as she inhales a piece of the café’s legendary carrot cake. “I know Rob so well. I, too, found being a teenager and young adult hard to navigate, and music was a refuge for me, somewhere to hide. I made playlists and would lie on the floor of my room listening to Jeff Buckley, learning the lyrics to songs that were the emotional soundtrack of my life.”

It’s not just the music in this show—David Bowie, Ann Peebles, Nick Drake, Swamp Dogg, Frank Ocean—that makes it such a good fit for Kravitz. The hip, nostalgia-tinged production was also shot in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, not too far from her own home in Williamsburg. The costumes, by Colleen Atwood, are mostly tweaked vintage finds that Kravitz helped seek out and that look as if they could have been plucked directly from her own wardrobe. “Most of them are now living in my closet,” she says with a laugh. She even wears a leather coat that’s similar to the one Cusack sported in the film.

The melding of vintage and modern is the central theme of High Fidelity, which also casts a funny and ironic look at the world of influencers. As Rob struggles with contemporary concepts like streaming, social media, and modern dating, she and her sidekicks use the record store as a refuge from the outside world. Debates rage about moral integrity—including the thorny issue of selling a Michael Jackson album. In the remake, Jack Black’s shoes have been hilariously filled by a sassy-mouthed Da’Vine Joy Randolph. And while Bruce Springsteen made a cameo appearance in the original film, jamming in Cusack’s bedroom and offering him advice on love and life, Blondie’s Debbie Harry turns up in Kravitz’s living room in this retelling (look out for her fashion-forward flip-flops).

Hornby himself—with whom the actress regularly exchanged playlists—has given the project his blessing. “When I first met her, I could see how bright she was, and how well she knew the book and the film—and how much it resonated with her, along with her innate love and understanding of music,” he says. “I immediately wanted to do anything I could to help her.”

It may be hard to imagine that Zoë Kravitz has much in common with the angst-ridden Rob, but coming from a family with such immaculate hipster credentials wasn’t as easy as one might think. Her father, Lenny, and mother, Lisa Bonet—best known for her role as Denise Huxtable on The Cosby Show—split when she was two, and her early years were spent living an easy, outdoorsy life with her mom in Topanga Canyon, California. There was limited TV, and she went to a Rudolf Steiner school, which she loved. At 11 she moved to Miami, where she lived with her father in an altogether more sophisticated scene, filled with celebrities. It wasn’t a comfortable world for her: “I didn’t like my new school. I didn’t feel like I fit in anywhere, and I was surrounded by an enormous amount of beauty and posturing. I was a chunky, perfectly normal-looking 15-year-old, but I had this remarkably beautiful skinny mother and a father who was dating a supermodel, and I felt short and ungainly.” At one point, Nicole Kidman—her future costar in Big Little Lies—was secretly engaged to her father, rendering her a potential stepmother. “I was a grumpy teenager with her,” Kravitz remembers.

It was a lot to handle, and Kravitz became bulimic. Not long after, she moved to New York, so she was able to hide her condition from her parents at first. But once they discovered what she was going through, she began therapy. She suffered from the illness for about a decade. “I’m okay now,” she says thoughtfully. “But I am very vigilant. It’s a disease, and I never let myself forget that.”

In New York, she enrolled in another Rudolf Steiner school and later took acting classes at the Conservatory of Theatre Arts. She was in her mid-twenties when she landed the roles—in 2015’s postapocalyptic Mad Max: Fury Road, followed by Big Little Lies in 2017—that would catapult her into the major leagues. These projects addressed sensitive issues about women and empowerment at a time when Hollywood was having to reassess itself and its own behavior. “I learned so much from my Big Little Lies family,” she says. “Much as everyone would like us to have been *****y and competitive, we all got along so well.” She counts Reese Witherspoon as one of her best friends. And of the once “grumpy teenager,” Kidman now says, “I feel protective, like a big sister, toward her. She is carving her own path with confidence and grace.

She’s having a big moment now, but it’s only going to get bigger. She’s a triple threat because she can dance, sing, and act. She is deeply feminine, and she always smells so good!”

Family life is rarely easy for an actor, but Kravitz is pragmatic. “I’m used to my family living in different cities, yet we stay close while all doing our own things.” Does the same go for being a newlywed? “Yes. I mean, Karl has his own career and needs to focus on that, but we’ve been together for a few years now, and we know where we are. If anything, the best part of being married is being able to have the odd fight and knowing neither of us is going to walk out the door. The commitment feels safe.”

Kravitz has her acting family to hang out with while in London. Tonight, she will meet up at one of London’s select music venues, the Jazz Cafe, with Ben-Adir and Callum Turner, her costar on Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

But first, there’s shopping to be done. We decide to grab a glass of champagne and take advantage of Dover Street Market’s expertly curated fashion floors. Molly Goddard snoods are snapped up, delicious tiny suede evening bags by The Row are admired, and the genius of Bottega Veneta creative director Daniel Lee’s twisted knitwear is shown respect. Kravitz pulls out an ethereal tea-stained Victoriana top by Peng Tai. “That would look amazing on my mom, even though she’s not that into fashion...unlike me, who loves it.”

But it’s when we get to the warren-like basement of the store, where the cooler young designers are sold, that she really gets excited. Once on, a leopard-print beret by Noah does not come off her head. She pulls out an Ashley Williams yellow silk skirt covered in black cats and takes it to the fitting room to try on. The assistant looks at her when she comes out, delighted and twirling in it, and says, “Look at you, Catwoman!” Kravitz turns to me with a conspiratorial laugh. “Oh my God, he doesn’t even know! That’s a sign!” As if she needs one, I think. Her sign is written high in the sky, in spotlights.

elle.com