Zipper closure on a Love Me? Any opinions?

nomoreroom

Aug 26, 2007
I'm happy to see that in the options for BE Couture is a zipper closure, for an additional $80. Seems expensive but it could be a deal-maker for me because I'm not happy with the magnets.

Has anyone seen a Love Me with a zipper closure? What does it do to the look and functionality of the bag (for instance, could I still cinch the drawstring?) Even if you haven't seen one with a zipper, I'd love to hear you thoughts on it.

Thanks!

If you look on the auction site, the 'bay, there is a Love Me Midi currently listed with a zip top. I don't think it looks bad (and at one point I was considering adding a zip top to the TMA Midi, however it does change the look of the bag a bit [it wouldn't allow you to gather it at the top as much so you'd loose that look ... I'm assuming]). Now I haven't seen it in person, so I'm just going by the photos you can see on the one that is posted in the auction.

There was a thread recently about zipper tops; let me see if I can find it for you:

http://forum.purseblog.com/belen-echandia/top-zipper-closures-466704.html

I have a black pebbled leather Love Me (regular size) with a zipper top that should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. If you can wait that long, I'll take a picture.

Although, after reading the comments in the other thread, I'm starting to get nervous that it will look funny with a zipper

I have a black pebbled leather Love Me (regular size) with a zipper top that should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. If you can wait that long, I'll take a picture.

Although, after reading the comments in the other thread, I'm starting to get nervous that it will look funny with a zipper

I wouldn't worry. I don't think it will look funny, it just may not allow you to gather the top as much. I don't have any of the pebbled leather yet, but from seeing pics, I think this leather would allow more slouchy/gathering than the others (even with the zipper).

I can't wait to see your bag! I'm sure it will be gorgeous! :smile:

Yes, gga -- please post pix when you get your bag. I'm very curious. I'm also pretty patient. The leathers I'm considering aren't on sale and I'm interested in seeing if any new colors will be added to the fall lineup.

I wouldn't worry. I don't think it will look funny, it just may not allow you to gather the top as much. I don't have any of the pebbled leather yet, but from seeing pics, I think this leather would allow more slouchy/gathering than the others (even with the zipper).

I can't wait to see your bag! I'm sure it will be gorgeous! :smile:

Thank you, Moonstarr! I never gather the top anyway, so I guess it won't make much difference then to me.

I'm anxiously awaiting the fall colors in the pebbled leathers too, nomoreroom.

nomoreroom, perhaps you could e-mail Jackie, ask her how the zipper closure would change the look of the LM, and tell her what you'd like in your bag and what you want it to do for you (e.g., you'd like to be able to, or not, still cinch the drawstrings at the top with the zipper closed, etc.). She'll be able to tell you what you gain or lose in the bag's functionality and appearance by adding a zipper closure.

I had thought about adding a zipper closure on a TMA Midi I had on order, but as you'll read from the aforementioned zipper closure thread, I decided not to because I didn't want to sacrifice the original intended "look" of the bag, that being able to have a "soft" look with the cinched drawstrings. I had really wanted the extra security of the zipper, but after assurances from others that the magnet closures were sturdy (and after using them for some time on my other BE bags), I decided I'd feel all right about not having the zipper.

Personally, I think the magnet closures do a good job. But, if you don't feel comfortable with just the magnet closures, then see what Jackie has to say. Maybe even wait to see what new styles Jackie will release for AW09. There might be a zip top bag in the line-up. It's a good thing you're a pretty patient person!

I think that adding a zipper top on the LM will make it look a little more boxy at the top. It just depends on your preference as well as just how important it is to you to have the zipper.

Thanks for your input, Belenistas!

TenKrat, I think you chose well by not getting the zipper on the TMA.

I will wait and do a little more looking and questioning before deciding. I hope some others will have ordered the optional zippers and will come and post their photos. I'll look forward to seeing them.

That auction listing does show quite well how the zipper would be attached to the bag.

What inspired my question in the first place was this bag, which is made of what looks like soft, smooshy leather and has a zipper closure.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3033209?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=sorial+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

I have ordered two BEs with the zipper top. A WTM and a TME Midi. On the WTM, the zipper is placed below the magnets, and there is no extra leather used. The TME Midi will look like that Love Me on *bay.

I don't think having a zip top will have that much effect on the the two styles because the TME has a tapered shape so there isn't really a need to cinch it. As for the WTM, I think it's still possible to cinch it due to the way that the zipper is placed. I have not used it though.

Anyway, on both bags, I requested for the magnetic snaps as well so that if I don't feel like zipping the bags, I don't have to.

I'm happy to see that in the options for BE Couture is a zipper closure, for an additional $80. Seems expensive but it could be a deal-maker for me because I'm not happy with the magnets.

Has anyone seen a Love Me with a zipper closure? What does it do to the look and functionality of the bag (for instance, could I still cinch the drawstring?) Even if you haven't seen one with a zipper, I'd love to hear you thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Hi,

I haven't had a chance to read this thread yet with the majority input but I thought I'd quickly share mine:

I find the LM to be overall a "boxy" style. And I love how the drawstrings when cinched help to soften and lessen that look.

I'd be concerned with the zipper that it might not allow for as much "slouch". Although, I do understand your worry re a more secure bag.

Hm.... If it were me I'd still experiment more with the drawstring closure or move on maybe to another style entirely.

I also in the past have made changes on BE designs and I would warn other's to be very careful in doing so!;)