YSL newbie

Hello Ladies,

I'm a YSL newbie and Ivan kicking myself for not getting into YSL a long time ago.

I want to know, what got you into switching from your old favorite to YSL; quality, style, name. etc. Did you see someone carry a YSL bag or a celebrity, or an add in a magazine?

Also, for my first bag, what should I get? I'm leaning towards Downtown, Muse, easy or roady? In an over the shoulders or. Crossbody girl. I'm a mother and I need hands free at all times. I dress casual trendy (skinny jeans w over size shirt and a Blazer.

Any advise is appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

My first YSL was the muse, but since then I found myself veer towards carrying the downtown (I went crazy and got several colors) more often.

Surprisingly, I discovered YSL when I saw a photo of Paris Hilton (I know...) with a white muse. Even though I can't stand her, I thought the bag was a classic and went to the YSL boutique the very next day and picked out a large black muse. With the gold hardware, I thought it was an instant classic.

I would recommend you look into the downtown, or even the roady, as your first bag. You've mentioned you need something that will fit over the shoulders and easily accessible. I would say the downtown (medium size) is a great bag. It goes well with casual wear, and it has that front pocket that you can put your cell phone, ID, or whatever else you'd like.

Thanks bubbleoba! Can I ask what r ur thoughts about easy? And I hear the zipper can sometimes get stuck on the DT. Is that true? Which colors of the DT do u have? Thanks so much for the info !

Thanks bubbleoba! Can I ask what r ur thoughts about easy? And I hear the zipper can sometimes get stuck on the DT. Is that true? Which colors of the DT do u have? Thanks so much for the info !

I prefer the muse, downtown, and roady over the easy. If you are looking for a shoulder bag, the easy probably wouldn't be the best fit for your lifestyle. I haven't had any problems with the downtown, and I have one black and one white. Hope this helps!

I would personally recommend a Rive Gauche, retired but pop up on ebay and other second-hand shops from time to time http://www.ebay.com/itm/YSL-Yves-Sa...78?pt=UK_Women_s_Handbags&hash=item3cc054ff8e (this one is really expensive, because it is Ostrich, but just so you can see the look, since it is retired from YSL stores) http://www.ebay.com/itm/230731734397?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649. Also, vesna has a couple and loves them too, she has some pictures posted I believe you could search for as well.

I see you have a small child, and I find mine (I have 2) very convenient, because it has both should straps and can also be worn cross body when your child is running around! I had the Downtown, and loved its look, but because it wouldn't close all the way, didn't find it convenient because things would fall out of it more easily. I also have 2 Muses, and love them too, but just find the Rive Gauches more convenient because of the cross-body strap. Good luck!

marbella8 said:
I would personally recommend a Rive Gauche, retired but pop up on ebay and other second-hand shops from time to time http://www.ebay.com/itm/YSL-Yves-Saint-Laurent-Olive-Green-Ostrich-Rive-Gauche-/260924833678?pt=UK_Women_s_Handbags&hash=item3cc054ff8e (this one is really expensive, because it is Ostrich, but just so you can see the look, since it is retired from YSL stores) http://www.ebay.com/itm/230731734397?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649. Also, vesna has a couple and loves them too, she has some pictures posted I believe you could search for as well.

I see you have a small child, and I find mine (I have 2) very convenient, because it has both should straps and can also be worn cross body when your child is running around! I had the Downtown, and loved its look, but because it wouldn't close all the way, didn't find it convenient because things would fall out of it more easily. I also have 2 Muses, and love them too, but just find the Rive Gauches more convenient because of the cross-body strap. Good luck!

Thanks Marbella8 and Bubbles for the advice.

Marbella - I will definitely look into RG! I actually have 2 kids 3 and 1 year olds and definitely need hands free!

Thanks again!

I got a Muse shortly after it came out--was that 2005 or something? I lost track of th brand and then rediscovered it. I've had a Roady and currently own two Easys and a large downtown.

I find the Roady incredibly stylish but a bit heavy and for some reason mine was uncomfortable on my shoulder. The Downtown is great for work. The Easy? Let me put it this way; someone asked in the general purse sub forum what is your favorite bag of all time. And for me it is my beige crest Easy. The color is so versatile, the beg transitions from work to casual effortlessly, and it can be a tote or satchel. I am 5'10" nd a swimmer and have good sized shoulders and can easily carry it on my shoulder. With two straps one can fall off though.

Yep- I know what you mean. The good thing about the Rive Gauche is that the 2 shorter shoulder straps with hang well and high on a "Mommy Hook" on your stroller, whereas some of my other crossbodies aren't hangable on it. Good luck on your search for the perfect YSL bag. Any YSL bag you choose will be a great choice, they are the best made bags, in my opinion, and LV too.

Thanks Marbella8 and Bubbles for the advice.

Marbella - I will definitely look into RG! I actually have 2 kids 3 and 1 year olds and definitely need hands free!

Thanks again!

Currently, I have 2 Roady's, a Multy, 2 Muse, (oversize Muse and large Muse), 2 Besace's and 2 Downtowns (medium and small)- maybe I have a 'Noah's Ark of Bags', I seem to have pairs:smile:. Out of my collection, I really like each one for different reasons and enjoy each one, however, the ones I carry the most are the patent Roady and large Muse. I find the Roady to be a very easy bag to use, the only downside is that it is a deep bag and sometimes things can be difficult to find, but I love the ease and look of the Roady. Really can't find a downside to the Muse, but I do feel it is a more structured bag. I feel the Roady is more casual.

Good luck with your selection, don't think you can really go wrong with YSL.

BTW, the RG is a great bag, I've been on the lookout for the right one. I had one and returned it (still kicking myself), if you like cross-body, it might be the best choice.

Marbella was right, it is Rive Gauche I would recommend...here is the reason I searched for a YSL bag and found it a year later:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did get it and am deadly afraid to get it dirty, so I got myself a glazed brown/tan Rive Gauche for work and virtually everything

two hand straps 9some call it shoulder straps, but I am 5'6 and with coat it is hard, fits but hardly...so cross-body strap is PERFECT

I love easy but it is not a shoulder bag, nor is Muse or a downtown..I mean I can carry them on the shoulder, but they look best if hand held

I also have a fringe hobo which I LOVE from Tom Ford era

Ivory Muse is still my secret love, but i can not justify two ivory bags hidden in dust bags from dirt, I promissed myself, if I start carrying ivory Rive Gauche more, I can get a Muse as well. Black muse is, as Bubbleoba pointed, a perfect classy bag, but who could resist this casual chic

Attachments

• kate-moss-and-muse.jpg
    kate-moss-and-muse.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 376