YSL Lou or Gucci Marmont Camera Bag?

act1980

O.G.
Jul 26, 2008
I love both but have to pick one. Also not sure what colour to go for, love the black but also want something that I could dress up or down.

What would you choose and why?

I don't own either but this review does compare between the two, with comparison pictures :

I too prefer the look of the Lou over the Marmont for its cleaner design

I’ve seen this question come up a number of times on the forum, so you are definitely not alone. I was originally considering both of these bags (in black) as well, and ultimately went with the YSL - which I absolutely love. I personally prefer the clean, classic chevron on the YSL, to the much busier (and JMHO, a little tacky) pattern of the Gucci. I also agree that the Loulou seems like more of a classic than the Gucci - definitely due in part to the ubiquitousness, and again, the busier pattern (IMO) of the Marmont. I‘ve used my Lou for errands during the day, as well as dinners out in the evening, however, I do feel that the all-leather strap (as opposed to a partial or full chain) is a bit more casual. That being said, the Lou is a wonderful bag - it’s incredibly lightweight (due in part to the lack of chain!), it holds a lot, and after 2 years of regular use, it still looks pretty damn good!

Last edited:
Reactions: act1980
I recently developed a taste for the YSL Lou Camera Bag. I visited both Gucci and YSL stores yesterday and so many more color options available in YSL than Gucci. I have both but love my new YSLs. The strap however is more dressy and substantial on the Gucci.

2208EB10-F2E2-46C6-9EA7-9865A7622826.jpeg

8EB4928F-127F-4623-BF13-E0A1B1891B8B.jpeg

025C2B13-DAEB-4646-A2F5-13567DFC3E8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: skyqueen
They are both made in the same factories by the same people, and it's virtually the same 'retro' style camera bag.

Just choose your hardware which supports your 'team': The YSL was created in Art Deco style by Cassandra, both logos were created in the 1960s.

Apparently, the YSLs leather version(s)can be a bit more delicate (we have this question about the same models quite often).

I don't mind the Lous in any of the hardware finishes, but I prefer the Marmont with wither silver or all-black.

There are more colour options with Saint Laurent.

I actually prefer the non-chains straps of the YSLs - but I'm not a fan of chain straps unless on evening bags. However, if you want a day>night bag or one that 'zhooshes-up' up a casual outfit, the Marmont is a better candidate.

Thanks so much for the replies! I didn’t know that the Gucci has lost popularity. I wonder why that is?
A look losing its' popularity can be because of several reasons. For Marmont, IMO the very visible pattern and the big metal logo are the ones that have made the look a bit dated. The bag is a look in itself unlike the YSL camera bag that's not as IYF.

The positive thing about a bag losing the hype is you might be able to get one for a very good price on the preloved market soon- so I second buying the YSL now as their prices are just going up.

Thanks so much for the replies! I didn’t know that the Gucci has lost popularity. I wonder why that is?

It's not really, just forum fashion herd (late-adopter) behaviour and insta/TikTok behaving like they are fashion. Always looking for the next 'X' for bragging rights.

People use the words 'tired' and 'dated' like they know what they're talking about :sleepy: , I see some very cool looking people carrying marmonts, luxury is not (supposed to be) throwaway. Some very nice new colours that make the Marmont look cool including olive and grey. I love all the comments about how people wish they'd bought Dior Saddles and Fendi Baguette before the relaunches - or H Kellys before you couldn't get one anymore. And that's why people love what they love and stop chasing fashion. If you do you, you can't actually go wrong.

Plus, I would say these (Marmonts) are far more tasteful (if that's what people are after) than most designer bags right now. Don't let me put you off the Saint Laurent Lous either, because they are lovely too.

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 12.11.11.pngScreenshot 2022-11-12 at 12.11.36.pngScreenshot 2022-11-12 at 12.12.06.png

Reactions: bagnut1 and mliLV
It's not really, just forum fashion herd (late-adopter) behaviour and insta/TikTok behaving like they are fashion. Always looking for the next 'X' for bragging rights.

People use the words 'tired' and 'dated' like they know what they're talking about :sleepy: , I see some very cool looking people carrying marmonts, luxury is not (supposed to be) throwaway. Some very nice new colours that make the Marmont look cool including olive and grey. I love all the comments about how people wish they'd bought Dior Saddles and Fendi Baguette before the relaunches - or H Kellys before you couldn't get one anymore. And that's why people love what they love and stop chasing fashion. If you do you, you can't actually go wrong.

Plus, I would say these (Marmonts) are far more tasteful (if that's what people are after) than most designer bags right now. Don't let me put you off the Saint Laurent Lous either, because they are lovely too.

View attachment 5651170View attachment 5651171View attachment 5651172
Agree 100%.

And I think you have convinced me I need a Marmont!

• Haha
Reactions: papertiger
Do you have the option to try on both in person? I have both, and I like them for different reasons. I also feel like the marmont bag can be more of a statement piece. And I think the Lou bag has a more simple, classic look. But I do think the marmont can hold more than the Lou in capacity. I think the marmont is wider.

Do you have the option to try on both in person? I have both, and I like them for different reasons. I also feel like the marmont bag can be more of a statement piece. And I think the Lou bag has a more simple, classic look. But I do think the marmont can hold more than the Lou in capacity. I think the marmont is wider.
I don't live in a an area that has these stores unfortunately. The only way would be to oder them online and try them at home.