YSL Black Loulou, Gucci Marmont in lilac, or Chloe (the new Marcie) in red?

1. YSL - Classic look that can go with everything
2. Chloe - unique design and beautiful color
3. Gucci - dated and not a classic look in terms of color and material. If you like the camera bag style maybe look into the YSL mini lou camera bag?
Thanks!. I already have a YSL small camera bag. The Gucci Marmont camera bags are slightly different style from YSL though, so I was considering this one too as one of the options. :smile:

"1 being the one that you like the most, and 3 being the one that you like the least. Please rank them only in terms of looks and popularity.... All 3 are equally practical to me, and I just want to get the one that looks very nice, cool, stylish, fashionable, popular, and will still be in style several years from now and will not look dated."

1) YSL
2&3) Gucci and Chloe

This is a little tricky. Popularity does not necessarily go hand in hand with "still be in style" and "will not look dated".
Most popular things are trendy, and therefore, will not be in style and will end up looking dated.
There the the classic of course like the Chanel CF, reissue, or Hermes quota bags, that are both popular and still in style. But they are classics for a reason.

I chose YSL because:
1) I'm a fan of YSL, have been for years. I'm not as into their bags as much as before, but I have a lot of experience buying and using various bags over the years and they are generally sturdy and well made.
2) You can't go wrong with black. Black on black has been very popular for the past 5 years or so, but in general, black is classic and will not date.
3) Chevron quilting pattern is a classic pattern that is very timeless and will not date
4) YSL is currently having a moment, especially with their more "reasonable" pricepoint. I would say they have been popular in the past few years.

Gucci:
Personal opinion- I'm not a Gucci girl and I don't have much experience with Gucci but I'm also biased, don't like the color pink, and am not a big fan of logos. Also, camera bags are not for me. Too casual for my style (but I know people love it and find it very practical). As a brand they are popular but that bag, I don't think so. It will also date quite a bit, relatively fast, not because of the design (the camera bag is classic), but because of the print and color.

Chloe:
Sigh, Chloe uses wonderful leathers for their bags. And their construction and quality is great! I had one before and it was stunning. Here's the issue. Because you asked for something popular and will not look dated, Chloe does not fit either of these. Chloe is not a popular brand in general, it has not been popular since their run with the Drew bag that was all the rage in 2014-2017. While the style of bag you chose is simple and clean and not too "out there". I do not think it is popular and I am uncertain if it will look dated or not. Because it is a simple design that has been used before, you could say it's closer to being more "classic" or you can style it in a classic way.

Also, if we are considering resale value in terms of popularity (the greater the demand, the higher the price people are willing to pay). YSL will have the highest resale value. Most likely, because of the color, the Gucci bag will not resell well. Most likely because of the brand itself, the Chloe will not resell well either. A quick look at Fashionphile will tell you how much Chloe bags plummet in price. And the more colorful bags of brands in general, do not resale well.

Just my thoughts and experience. At the end of the day, it will be your bag. You wear it in your style. Each person style is iconic and classic to him or herself.
I have bags that are "classic" and I have bags that are not. I have bags that were not popular that became popular later on, and bags that were popular that are cooling down, etc. At the end of the day, I don't care if they're popular or not. I wear them for as long as I love them and as long as they suit my aesthetic and lifestyle. Once those criteria are no longer met, then I will let them go.

"1 being the one that you like the most, and 3 being the one that you like the least. Please rank them only in terms of looks and popularity.... All 3 are equally practical to me, and I just want to get the one that looks very nice, cool, stylish, fashionable, popular, and will still be in style several years from now and will not look dated."

1) YSL
2&3) Gucci and Chloe

This is a little tricky. Popularity does not necessarily go hand in hand with "still be in style" and "will not look dated".
Most popular things are trendy, and therefore, will not be in style and will end up looking dated.
There the the classic of course like the Chanel CF, reissue, or Hermes quota bags, that are both popular and still in style. But they are classics for a reason.

I chose YSL because:
1) I'm a fan of YSL, have been for years. I'm not as into their bags as much as before, but I have a lot of experience buying and using various bags over the years and they are generally sturdy and well made.
2) You can't go wrong with black. Black on black has been very popular for the past 5 years or so, but in general, black is classic and will not date.
3) Chevron quilting pattern is a classic pattern that is very timeless and will not date
4) YSL is currently having a moment, especially with their more "reasonable" pricepoint. I would say they have been popular in the past few years.

Gucci:
Personal opinion- I'm not a Gucci girl and I don't have much experience with Gucci but I'm also biased, don't like the color pink, and am not a big fan of logos. Also, camera bags are not for me. Too casual for my style (but I know people love it and find it very practical). As a brand they are popular but that bag, I don't think so. It will also date quite a bit, relatively fast, not because of the design (the camera bag is classic), but because of the print and color.

Chloe:
Sigh, Chloe uses wonderful leathers for their bags. And their construction and quality is great! I had one before and it was stunning. Here's the issue. Because you asked for something popular and will not look dated, Chloe does not fit either of these. Chloe is not a popular brand in general, it has not been popular since their run with the Drew bag that was all the rage in 2014-2017. While the style of bag you chose is simple and clean and not too "out there". I do not think it is popular and I am uncertain if it will look dated or not. Because it is a simple design that has been used before, you could say it's closer to being more "classic" or you can style it in a classic way.

Also, if we are considering resale value in terms of popularity (the greater the demand, the higher the price people are willing to pay). YSL will have the highest resale value. Most likely, because of the color, the Gucci bag will not resell well. Most likely because of the brand itself, the Chloe will not resell well either. A quick look at Fashionphile will tell you how much Chloe bags plummet in price. And the more colorful bags of brands in general, do not resale well.

Just my thoughts and experience. At the end of the day, it will be your bag. You wear it in your style. Each person style is iconic and classic to him or herself.
I have bags that are "classic" and I have bags that are not. I have bags that were not popular that became popular later on, and bags that were popular that are cooling down, etc. At the end of the day, I don't care if they're popular or not. I wear them for as long as I love them and as long as they suit my aesthetic and lifestyle. Once those criteria are no longer met, then I will let them go.
Thank you so much for your detailed analysis!. I greatly appreciate your opinion. :smile:

Reactions: lill_canele