Your opinion on COACH producing in China now

I think that it's ridiculous, especially since their prices keep going up. I genuinely like Coach because of my love for 60's, Jackie O style, but it's just far too common for me to carry with pride. :sad:

The wallet I got for Christmas last year looks horrible already - the way the leather is aging compared to my SUPER old demi pouch (like 4 years old - I got that thing when I had just turned 16!) is horrible. The wallet is turning this brown/green/almost poo-y color! And the mini zip thing that is currently serving as my key chain, the lining and the jacquard are ripping inside and out.

I do think the quality has gone down as both of those items are made in China vs. the pouch which was made in Turkey.

It says in the Coach's 10-K: "Our manufacturers are located in many countries, including China, India, United States, Philippines, Mauritius, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Korea, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan and Thailand."
--> So it doesn't seem it put all of its product offshore into China...MarieG, where did you see that?

regardless of where their products are being made..shouldn't Coach have a quality assurance team that makes sure the products produced are up to their standards? It doesn't make me upset that their bags are made in China specifically. I'm sad that it seems like Coach doesn't care about their quality as much anymore.

I love coach, but never knew their bags were being made in china. Now I'm having serious issues spending all this money on a bag that is made by a young person being paid 50 cents a day in China! Wake up ladies. There are more important things in life than a good coach bag. People in China are practically slave laborers, how can you in good consciousness buy a Coach bag now? I can't. That's for sure.

this is why i also love prada, I love reading on the lable (made in Italy), it feels special to me. I guess american labor and chinese labor aren't that different, it depends on the employees, maybe the chinese are even better at it, who knows, but something's in my head with "made in the us" or "italy" or "france" something extrordinary that I am awaiting for a pricey item no matter purse or shoe... Thinking of china- the thought of "mass production" "cheap quality" or so is common, but I m sure coach does quality control!!! So I guess it's fine, every company nowdays uses china. As long as the quality is still good, I don't know how they were in the 70's, but so far i m happy in the 2008's :smile:

Yes, you are right it's really the cost of labor and China has young girls working to support their families. It's not just Coach if you look at a majority of things you purchase where does it say it's made from "China"

There is a Coach bag in the Aug. 2009 issue of Vogue- the ocelot duffle for $1400. Coach is obviously jumping on the animal print bandwagon which is hot for fall. I bought Coach decades ago when they were all leather and the little embossed creed inside proudly proclaimed "Made in USA". The bag is not in stores yet but there is no way I would pay that kind of money for a bag with a little loop tag hidden in the seam that reads "Made in China". Absolutely no possible way. For a bag at that price point, I expect it to be hand-crafted in europe (France, Italy, Spain) or the US.

I am in a state of shock looking at the current prices and seeing most of Coach is made in China. At this rate, I will stick with LV and Hermes or better yet, shop the closet.

It doesn't bother me at all...but I work for a major manufacturer that sells 50% of our product outside the US ...and manufactures a great deal of it all over the world as well.

But lets face it...how many of us own Japanese made electronics/cars???? And clothes made from all over creation.... Unless someone truly buys EVERYTHING 100% made in america (which I think would be pretty hard to do)...I don't see why they are complaining about coach making some of their bags in china.

In the 1950's, US manufactured EVERYTHING here. Slowly, we let our manufacturing slip away. The world became a "Global Economy." I HATE all this "Global Economy"...we have to manufacture something here in the US if we want to survive!!! As far as Coach bags made in China, I don't think quality is a problem. AND, China DOES buy products made in USA. General Motors (Buick) is China's favorite auto maker. So, I don't have a problem with China. But, Japan WON'T let other country's products in, and WON'T buy anything but their own. THAT I have a problem with...not China.

As far as Coach's quality, THEY are determining their quality. THEY are selecting the leather. Not China. I hope Coach decides to go back to better quality leathers. And, I'm not referring just to the (heavy) Legacy leathers. A lighter weight leather CAN be high quality...and I'm not seeing Coach go in that direction!

Last edited:
I'm not trying to get all political or anything, but items made in China (or elsewhere outside of the US) contribute to the state of our economy. We've been importing too much from other countries for a loooong time now, and its all starting to catch up.

You got it, Girl! But, this "global economy" didn't just begin. This has been a Polital Agenda years ago. Our government has continued to make it very expensive for a company to produce and compete here. So, our manufacturing slowly left. We MUST produce something in the USA to maintain any decent standard of living...or we'll only have "rich and poor."

i was kind of wondering about that myself.... i just bought my first coach recently. My first bag was flawed, and so was the second that they ordered from JAX for me. I finally took one off the floor because it had no flaws, but I was slightly disappointed that I ended up with a floor model instead of a brand spanking new bag.

I was really shocked when I found out the bag was made in China. I thought that sort of explained the quality issues I went through getting a bag in good enough condition to take home.

Definitely disappointing, especially at the pricepoints of the bags.

I will buy Coach that is under $300 and under. Last year I returned 4 bags because they had problems. Coach is ok but I think they need to use better materials and up there qulaity control for me to drop money on them like I use to. The materials have gotten cheaper. I hate the cheap looking stuff that they are using on some the bags lately. Maybe one day they will realize but for now I stay at a limit.

I just wanted to bump this thread up a bit to add...has it occurred to anyone that one of the reasons the coach knock offs are getting so good is because they are made in China?

The owners of these factories that produce designer lines are no dummies. Out the front door goes the label item, out the back door goes the knock off.

Personally, I think moving the production to china cheapened the brand. Also, the signature bags cheapened the line further because they were so CHEAP and easy to knock off.

I love love coach....have been a fan since the 80's at the height of the preppy thing. The styles are great, I love them even today with the trendy thing they are doing, but there is no way I'd pay full retail for anything from coach. Primarily because they are produced in China. I'm all for profit, but when you go for a 1000% markup, to put it bluntly, eat me.

I do not have any issue with the Made in China issue... Most of the items I buy are made in China and they are very good quality...

Quality has to do with how your company develops and quality controls it products. The materials used, the care the products are given.

A company can have bad quality wherever it is made.

Something that was not metioned in this tread is the great Customer Service and Guarantee that Coach has. If ny any chance the quality is bad on a bag you can return it for a full refund or an exchange with out any issues.. If your bag is damaged by time you can send it to Jax for only $20 for shipping and have them take care if it.. It is very hard to find that with any other Company in general.

Reactions: Vidalita
I know this post is way old but I'm SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW, my wife stopped buying coach purses because of the Chinese manufacturing move years ago. So last week on her birthday outta the blue I figured I'd do something way different and buy her this extravagant French made large purse(I'm actually so pissed and on duty at work I forgot the name of company but googled and found this site forgive me) she has horses and is into fashion like Rosie O'Donnell is into food, always ontop of newest this that and she's model beautiful honestly,,,,Soooooooo anyways mr. Neanderthal here buys this beautiful pink purse/ totes from France handmade this that in France since this that blah blah has beautiful horse on it that's why I bought it and found entire thing and idea because I honestly was buying myself a Graham watch from dealer overseas and it was like meant to be anyways she gets it and absolutely dies over the look and the F'ing BRAND WHICH ESCAPES ME COMPLETELY NOW, AND I KNOW I hit homerun right, she's looking it over "how'd I know about this company it's beautiful thank you" so after our dinner and walk she's placing items from current purse to this one only TO SEE IT'S MADE IN CHINA..3k dollar purse and some 9 year old in China threw it together, because she's classy unlike myself she made a joke as I'm about to turn fridge over in anger, she doesn't have the heart to return it but I'm going to do it for her. I was in China for nearly 2 years not long ago helping friends setup their manufacturing base for items that had they not done so they'd be living under bridges, so I've seen first hand how horrid the conditions are and how dishonest even after contracts are signed about specifics that most be followed as in no lead paint, no this or that they ALL... ALL blatantly do what they want as soon as you board the plane home and your at their mercy upon first container of this crap arrives to your home country, POINT is there's NO POINT in this market of items to manufacture anywhere except your stated homeland. At this point it's not survival it's pure greed. I'll post back with brand when my head isn't swollen. I hope NOBODY buys coach or any brand that's over 10 bucks that's made in that toilet overseas.
Hi everyone, I just stated this in a related discussion and would be very interested in your opinions:

First of all, I absolutely love COACH.
Yet, in parts of this forum, I continuously read people arguing that the quality of COACH bags has decreased since it moved its production to China recently. I am not sure I believe that just because the production of COACH items has been relocated to China that the quality of the items has decreased. Furthermore, aren't the materials still the same? Moreover, I believe Chinese workers are just as capable of assembling these parts properly as American ones and I am sure that COACH makes sure of that since they might loose a multimillion dollar business if they don’t. Additionally, various prestigious car companies, cell phone companies and designers have done the same. I strongly disagree with the fact that COACH relocated in order to exploit cheap labor but I do not believe that the actually quality of their products has decreased. Thus, I believe quality of Coach items to be as excellent as always.

What do you guys think?

[/Q