Your Most Regretful Bag Purchase

Valentino Rockstud Spike in the small size in black. I have not used it once. Right when I took of the labels from MyTheresa I was like „****, what did I do?!“

I thought it would be nice for going out but in reality I go out maybe once a year if anything.

Also I hated the chain strap it came with right from the beginning so idk why I kept it. I actually believe you should love every aspect of a bag right away and if one thing bothers you, it will always bother you.

Very true about Valentino bags, I bought the rockstud bag and did not use it even once. Somehow, I did not feel the bag .

Always regretted buying at high price and sold for a huge loss. Also regret buying few miu miu bags. Resale value of miu miu bags is very bad.

I have now learnt a lesson to only buy bags from these designers if am not going to think about resale and only if am 100% in love ❤️

Probably my Teddy Blake Birkin look alike. What a dumb purchase. It’s really a beautiful bag but when I use it (rarely, very rarely) I feel like it screams fake Birkin. It wasn’t cheap either. It just sits in my closet looking pretty.
My other lux bags are the real deal. The ones I regretted or didn’t use were sold. I don’t know what to do with my Birkin look alike, haha.

Chanel Jumbo, I wanted m/l, SA kinda persuaded me that it looked better. Well, this started the whole bag addiction.

Never let SAs persuade your decisions, that’s my opinion. The jumbo is more expensive than the medium, hence the SA earns more commissions. That’s also why I don’t really build relationships with SAs. If I like a bag, I’d do lots of research online, then I go into the store to buy that and go. Because I have already done my research, so I am not easily persuaded.

Probably my Teddy Blake Birkin look alike. What a dumb purchase. It’s really a beautiful bag but when I use it (rarely, very rarely) I feel like it screams fake Birkin. It wasn’t cheap either. It just sits in my closet looking pretty.
My other lux bags are the real deal. The ones I regretted or didn’t use were sold. I don’t know what to do with my Birkin look alike, haha.

I think I know which bag you’re talking about. That bag was talked about a lot on YouTube at one point. And I never understood the hype. To me, it looks like a Birkin wanna be, but that’s just my opinion. Some people may genuinely like the bag, and that’s totally fine.

You’re probably going to have a hard time selling it. Even a lot designer handbags don’t retain their resale value, I don’t see how the Teddy Blake would sell for much (if someone would be interested in it at all).

What motivated you to make the purchase in the first place?

Mulberry Tillie drawstring. I could have bought a Bayswater or a Dorset tote, but went for a drawstring that was a silly size had the stupidest strap drop that was too short for shoulder carry with a jacket and too long for hand carry. I wore it 4 times until I traded it off and got seriously cheated in the process. It was a good lesson - an expensive one, but necessary.

Reactions: IntheOcean and 880
Prada Double Zip - It was a replacement for another Prada bag that got cracks in the leather after only being worn (and nowhere near packed full) a handful of times. Prada’s customer service was horrible to deal with. The replacement double zip was starting to wear terribly and the glazing started to peel after only being carried three times. I sold it and the resale value was awful.

Goyard Saint Louis. I bought it on impulse when I was traveling and in a pinch for a tote. I regretted it immediately - it was flimsy, had no closure, and was too recognizable. I didn't keep it.

Reactions: GrRoxy
I think I know which bag you’re talking about. That bag was talked about a lot on YouTube at one point. And I never understood the hype. To me, it looks like a Birkin wanna be, but that’s just my opinion. Some people may genuinely like the bag, and that’s totally fine.

You’re probably going to have a hard time selling it. Even a lot designer handbags don’t retain their resale value, I don’t see how the Teddy Blake would sell for much (if someone would be interested in it at all).

What motivated you to make the purchase in the first place?
I guess I just got caught up in the hype. Not one of my better decisions, ha! I can afford a Birkin but can’t justify the cost. I think I thought I might use it and decide if I really wanted to take the plunge. 3+ years later, I’m still debating a Birkin. I’m not wealthy but do have expendable funds. I love the Birkin but I just can’t pull the trigger. I am older, I would get a lot of pleasure having this bag. My only child thinks much differently. To her, 100. Is the max on bags. It’s complicated, haha

I guess I just got caught up in the hype. Not one of my better decisions, ha! I can afford a Birkin but can’t justify the cost. I think I thought I might use it and decide if I really wanted to take the plunge. 3+ years later, I’m still debating a Birkin. I’m not wealthy but do have expendable funds. I love the Birkin but I just can’t pull the trigger. I am older, I would get a lot of pleasure having this bag. My only child thinks much differently. To her, 100. Is the max on bags. It’s complicated, haha
My daughter once told me I wasn't allowed to buy a bag that cost more than her car.

Chanel 226 crumpled calfskin soblack Reissue.
I would LOVE this bag - just out of my price range for now. (One day 'my precious')
My 3rd bag purchase and 3rd Chloe was a silverado - not sure what i was thinking. made from buffalo, hard as steel, only handheld, no long strap. Lucky a tpf bff traded with me for a Chloe betty. Loved and used that bag for a long time.

Interesting viewpoints. My regret buying is the Fontana Milano A Bike in black. I absolutely have no use for it. I rarely use it and just sits in my closet. I’ll send it off to a reseller.

Strathberry East West. Smaller than I thought, and the chain strap is awkward. But the bag is beautiful. I did get it on sale, and will carry it. Just wish it were a little larger.

I picked up a Strathberry East/West Mini during my last trip to London. The bag (being mini) is very small and will fit only basic necessities (wallet, cell phone, few keys, etc.). That said, it is a beautiful bag and of very good quality. The customer service at the store was superb too. No regrets on that end; I actually miss using it since we’re in quarantine with nowhere to go!

However, a while back I picked up a Furla bag just because it was kind of cute and discounted. But it was white, and I rarely ever wear white, plus the backside got smudged bluish from my jeans. Sigh...don’t ever go against your instinct/taste with colors “just because.” I’m never going to buy a light-colored bag ever again.

Chanel beige bags are nice, but I am afraid it’ll get dirty really quick. Too high maintenance for me. Why did you sell your Kelly 28? Speaking of H, I am looking to buy a Lindy 26. Lol. No rush in purchasing. Whenever it comes, I guess :smile::smile:.

I bought two Kelly 28s, both preloved, years ago, when I thought I was a kelly person and a gold hardware person. BBK ghw and Porc Ghw, both with graceful lines and patina. The BBK was inexpensive, but I put too much money into the bag bc I took it to Hermes to replace the handle, arms (it took months and cost more than the original purchase) and bought a variety of canvas straps. Then I decided I was a birkin person (specifically a 30 birkin Or bizarrely JPG birkin) and phw. .I’m now thinking of buying another kelly , but wanted something different, so I picked up a JPG fringe kelly. . .

The lindy 26 is adorable and if you like preloved, there are a variety of lindys online in different sizes, happy shopping!

Same here, with efforts of saving up, it’s possible to buy a Lindy 26 (which I love). However, a part of me is still debating whether it’s justifiable to spend so much money on a purse.

Your daughter does have a point though :biggrin::biggrin:. With $100, you can buy a decent bag too (although may not be a designer piece).

Last edited:
I bought two Kelly 28s, both preloved, years ago, when I thought I was a kelly person and a gold hardware person. BBK ghw and Porc Ghw, both with graceful lines and patina. The BBK was inexpensive, but I put too much money into the bag bc I took it to Hermes to replace the handle, arms (it took months and cost more than the original purchase) and bought a variety of canvas straps. Then I decided I was a birkin person (specifically a 30 birkin Or bizarrely JPG birkin) and phw. .I’m now thinking of buying another kelly , but wanted something different, so I picked up a JPG fringe kelly. . .

The lindy 26 is adorable and if you like preloved, there are a variety of lindys online in different sizes, happy shopping!

Are you going to buy your Kelly preloved or new? Where I am at, I don’t have many choices in the preloved market. If I order online, there will be taxes and duties.