Your Most Regretful Bag Purchase

It would have to be the Louis Vuitton Suhali Lockit PM.

I bought it many years ago thinking it would compensate for the bag I really wanted (Birkin) and when it came time to selling it, I lost roughly $2,400, which was a tough pill to swallow. I debated on whether I should sell it or not based on resale value, but I wanted the small Chanel Boy more and thought the $800 would be handy in contributing towards the Boy.

I also found the bag dated quite quickly based on its yellow contrast stitching. At that time, I also went through a long phase of loving handheld bags.

Since that happened, I have been very strict in deciding which bags I allow into my collection. That's why I prefer to play it safe nowadays.

Yes, I went through a phase which I purchased a bag, thinking it’s gonna replace something I really wanted. It never worked!

Before I had my career, I bought quite a few bags from contemporary designers - Marc Jacobs, Kate Spade, MK etc. I sold all of them. Now, I am very careful with my bag purchases.

$2400 loss is rough :sad::sad:!! I believe many of us made “handbag mistakes”. Same, I play it very safe nowadays! I lost $400 on the Strathberry Midi Lana bucket bag when I sold it.

Yes, I went through a phase which I purchased a bag, thinking it’s gonna replace something I really wanted. It never worked!

Before I had my career, I bought quite a few bags from contemporary designers - Marc Jacobs, Kate Spade, MK etc. I sold all of them. Now, I am very careful with my bag purchases.

$2400 loss is rough :sad::sad:!! I believe many of us made “handbag mistakes”. Same, I play it very safe nowadays! I lost $400 on the Strathberry Midi Lana bucket bag when I sold it.

That's interesting. I find myself stricter nowadays on adding premier designer bags than contemporary designer bags. I feel like once you have the classics, that's the end of it (although never say never).

I feel like my premier bag collection is done, whereas some of the contemporary designers lure me in with their designs and friendlier price points, especially when on sale. I always try to buy contemporary bags on sale, so in the event that I decide to sell it, the loss is not as brutal.

:biggrin:
That's interesting. I find myself stricter nowadays on adding premier designer bags than contemporary designer bags. I feel like once you have the classics, that's the end of it (although never say never).

I feel like my premier bag collection is done, whereas some of the contemporary designers lure me in with their designs and friendlier price points, especially when on sale. I always try to buy contemporary bags on sale, so in the event that I decide to sell it, the loss is not as brutal.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I still have purses that aren’t from premier designers. I have a crossbody bag from Charles & Keith that I use when travelling. I also recently placed an order for the Senreve mini Maestra bag, which I plan to use for work.

I am more of a minimalist, relatively speaking. I have about 10 purses, and I think this is the right amount. Having too many choices is overwhelming. I am looking to add Lindy 26 to my collection, and that’s it (although just like you, never say never) :biggrin::biggrin:.

Fendi Limited Edition Velvet Squirrel spy...I really liked it, but the velvet started showing obvious wear very early on and the embroidering became coming undone...so sold it..but I remember it did not sell for much..I think $500ish, but I bought for like $3000 preloved.

Oh, and the YSL satin mini Muse bag with crystal hardware...after a few wears looked a bit dingy...also took quite a loss on this one.

So, from then on, no matter how gorgeous velvet and satin bags were and sometimes I almost caved and wanted to buy one again..but knowing how hard it is to maintain, I resisted from buying another one :sad:

Last edited:
:biggrin:

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I still have purses that aren’t from premier designers. I have a crossbody bag from Charles & Keith that I use when travelling. I also recently placed an order for the Senreve mini Maestra bag, which I plan to use for work.

I am more of a minimalist, relatively speaking. I have about 10 purses, and I think this is the right amount. Having too many choices is overwhelming. I am looking to add Lindy 26 to my collection, and that’s it (although just like you, never say never) :biggrin::biggrin:.

Sounds like you are a very practical shopper. I like it! Congrats on your new Senreve. I'm sure it will be the perfect workhorse for you. :smile:

Despite my title in my profile, bags are the one thing I find it hard to be a minimalist on. My jewellery, makeup/skincare, clothes and books are considered minimal, but I currently have 10 premier bags and 6 + 3 contemporary bags. The reason why they are split is because 6 are considered bags I will use on a semi-regular basis, where as 3 Longchamp's are only used for travel. 4 out of 9 contemporary bags are from Longchamp, so luckily they lay flat and don't take up much room at all. So it almost feels like I have 15 bags in my collection. Is that cheating? :lol:

Valentino Rockstud Spike in the small size in black. I have not used it once. Right when I took of the labels from MyTheresa I was like „****, what did I do?!“

I thought it would be nice for going out but in reality I go out maybe once a year if anything.

Also I hated the chain strap it came with right from the beginning so idk why I kept it. I actually believe you should love every aspect of a bag right away and if one thing bothers you, it will always bother you.

Sounds like you are a very practical shopper. I like it! Congrats on your new Senreve. I'm sure it will be the perfect workhorse for you. :smile:

Despite my title in my profile, bags are the one thing I find it hard to be a minimalist on. My jewellery, makeup/skincare, clothes and books are considered minimal, but I currently have 10 premier bags and 6 + 3 contemporary bags. The reason why they are split is because 6 are considered bags I will use on a semi-regular basis, where as 3 Longchamp's are only used for travel. 4 out of 9 contemporary bags are from Longchamp, so luckily they lay flat and don't take up much room at all. So it almost feels like I have 15 bags in my collection. Is that cheating? :lol:
I am both amused and horrified that I completely understand your counting system.

It would have to be the Louis Vuitton Suhali Lockit PM.

I bought it many years ago thinking it would compensate for the bag I really wanted (Birkin) and when it came time to selling it, I lost roughly $2,400, which was a tough pill to swallow. I debated on whether I should sell it or not based on resale value, but I wanted the small Chanel Boy more and thought the $800 would be handy in contributing towards the Boy.

I also found the bag dated quite quickly based on its yellow contrast stitching. At that time, I also went through a long phase of loving handheld bags.

Since that happened, I have been very strict in deciding which bags I allow into my collection. That's why I prefer to play it safe nowadays.
I smiled at your choice of Suhali Lockit. I had one, too, and also sold mine. Thanks for sharing your story and your learnings.

Lol!! I like your counting system :biggrin::biggrin:!! Everyone has something they love, and for you it’s handbags, and that’s ok.

Same here, I don’t have much jewellery. I have some earrings, but I don’t wear them often. The only ring I wear is the wedding band. No bracelet or necklace.

Yes, you’re right - I am a very practical shopper :biggrin::biggrin:! I sell stuff that I don’t use/need. I have heard lots about Longchamp, but never owned anything from them. I am guessing you love the brand, since you own so many of their bags?

Reactions: inverved
Fendi Limited Edition Velvet Squirrel spy...I really liked it, but the velvet started showing obvious wear very early on and the embroidering became coming undone...so sold it..but I remember it did not sell for much..I think $500ish, but I bought for like $3000 preloved.

Oh, and the YSL satin mini Muse bag with crystal hardware...after a few wears looked a bit dingy...also took quite a loss on this one.

So, from then on, no matter how gorgeous velvet and satin bags were and sometimes I almost caved and wanted to buy one again..but knowing how hard it is to maintain, I resisted from buying another one :sad:

The velvet bag trend has been huge, but I am never that into them because it’s so high maintenance :smile::smile:. $3000 vs. $500 is a huge loss :sad::sad:.

Reactions: 880
LV Metis handbag-- the lock always popped off, had it repaired twice. It was a birthday present from my husband, so I felt bad reselling it, but he's the best about "if you don't use it". The lock drove me crazy.
There are a few things I regret not buying-- a Gucci limited edition Neiman Marcus Anniversary angry cat bag, but I figure if it is meant to be mine, it will show up at the right price...