Your first designer purchase

Hmmm, as a young early 20 something I considered my mimco button bag my first 'designer' piece. It took a long time to hand over that $450 as that was A LOT of money to me (still is, but not in the same way). I still have the bag and haven't used it in years but can't bring myself to get rid of it!

First true designer was a pair of Bally flats I got on sale for $235. I still have these and wear them occasionally. They look brand new as well.

LV pochette in 1996 and it was only $155 ish. So cheap back then. It's still in great condition. I've since replaced the strap but it's my go-to bag to use on trips; specially at theme parks. I will have it forever! IMG_1478219828.315314.jpg

Technically, my first designer purchase was a second hand, damaged Charles David bag. It had a small tear on the back side, so the lady sold it to me for $10. Aside from the small tear, it was a very nice leather bag.

That bag inadvertently led to my first designer item purchased (that wasn't second hand) though also. Because not long after, we visited my Mother-in-law, who promptly noticed the tear on the bag while it was sitting on a chair and lit into my poor Husband about why he'd make his wife carry a damaged bag and to get me a new bag. It wasn't my Husband's fault though, I was much more of a cheapskate then and not used to spending on myself for indulgences, even though he has always been more than happy to enable & indulge me. And he finally had the opportunity to make me give in and pick out a new bag. Which was a nice black canvas & leather bag from Juicy Couture. I loved that bag and wore it until the straps fell apart. This was back in our first year of marriage, when Juicy Couture was still a popular mid-range Designer brand... (I still haven't convinced myself to take a plunge on my "real" designer wants... Which mostly are McQueen bags.)

Last edited:
Neverfull MM damier ebene, 5 years ago, gift from my husband which he bought from Switzerland. It should have been a surprise gift for my birthday, but he took a picture of it in his iphone, forgetting that it would also appear on my iphone. So when he got back home in UAE with it, I totally knew about it, and did not tell him that I knew he bought me a bag.

Reactions: dotty8
Mine was a mauve-purple Prada top handle bag. I think maybe 2005? At Winners. I remember seeing it thinking, wow, the leather is so soft. I didn't even know of designer names. I thought on buying it and had it on hold a couple of times wondering if it was worth the $$. I don't even remember what I paid for it. I guess that bag started my collection. I later sold it for what I'd paid. It looked similar to this (e bay) bag:IMG_1396.jpg

I guess it depends how you define designer and what type of item. I'm not much into labels or brands, but I have some Hilfiger, Lauren/Polo, Calvin Klein, Gloria Vanderbilt, Adrienne Papel and a few others. I have no idea which came first though.

Mine was a mauve-purple Prada top handle bag. I think maybe 2005? At Winners. I remember seeing it thinking, wow, the leather is so soft. I didn't even know of designer names. I thought on buying it and had it on hold a couple of times wondering if it was worth the $$. I don't even remember what I paid for it. I guess that bag started my collection. I later sold it for what I'd paid. It looked similar to this (e bay) bag:View attachment 3519838

Wow this is actually one of the bags that turned me on to designer items! I always liked bags but never knew much about designers. One day I was working at the mall and I saw someone walking with this bag. I loved it so much that I stopped her and asked what it was. About a week later I saw someone walking with one of those Dior bags that were popular around that time (don't remember the style name). Those 2 bags were the beginning of a great love!

Anyway, my first designer bag was a coach bag that my mom bought me. The first one I bought myself was a Burberry.