Your Favorite 5 Polishes for 2012...?

nordysgal

Dec 11, 2009
It's the end of the year, and since everyone loves to make a 'best of 2012' list for everything else, I thought we could make one for polish!

What were your top 5 faves of 2012?

(seriously, this is a stumper - it's going to be so hard to only pick 5!)

Okay, so I think I have my 5! I did a lot of reducing this year (I think I started the year with close to 400 polishes, and now it sits around 150!), but these were my standouts:

1. Chanel June - the perfect summer orange.
2. Dior Grege - my perfect nude! I've made a serious dent in this bottle in just a few short months.
3. Dior St. Tropez - you know how there's an LE polish that you hunt and hunt, and when you finally get it, it looks kinda crappy on you? Yea, that was not St. Tropez. It was just as stunning as swatches from 2011 showed, and it's the only backup I have in my whole collection. It's just that worthy.
4. OPI Call Me Gwen-Ever - I was not much impressed with the Spider-Man collection, but this orangey-coral was the perfect pedi this summer.
5. Vamps - sorry, I couldn't pick just one! I've never been much of a fan of dark, inky, near-black vamp polish for fear it would only read black, and not an actual color, on my nails. Well, 3 stunners have proven me wrong and I couldn't pick one, I love all 3 equally - Chanel Provocation, Rouge Noir, and Dior Poison. I've been rotating all 3 of them for the past month - love!

As for 2013... I think to further control my spending and addiction, I may limit myself to only buying Chanel and Dior polish, with one exception (the upcoming CG holos - I will NOT miss out on these like past collections). This year I pretty much only bought Chanel and Dior only, with a few OPI sprinkled in. I'm thinking next year I need to focus on growing my collection with the permanent Chanels and Dior - almost all the ones I own are LE!

In no particular order:

1. YSL Premiere Neige - it looks like a snowglobe in a bottle!
2. Nerd Lacquer Carbon Allotrope
3. Elevation Ama Dablam (for Elevation it could easily been Yushan and Marble Caves)
4. Dior Waterlily
5. Dior St. Tropez - have to agree with nordysgal. This is the perfect spring and summer polish

Honourable mentions are Gloss n' Sparkle Unicorn Droppings and Emily de Molly Insomnia (and I'm not even a big fan of black and white polishes)! I went crazy for awhile buying a lot of indies and premium polishes. I've been destashing heavily and need to downsize my polish spending for 2013.

It's the end of the year, and since everyone loves to make a 'best of 2012' list for everything else, I thought we could make one for polish!

What were your top 5 faves of 2012?

(seriously, this is a stumper - it's going to be so hard to only pick 5!)

great thread! i'm like knas, don't make me choose only five. i think my head my explode.

One stand out comes to mind though, and that's Hare's Bury The Hatchefish..... Love!!
The Zoya Ornate Collection was a home run too.

haha try, knas, TRY! :upsidedown:

In no particular order:

1. YSL Premiere Neige - it looks like a snowglobe in a bottle!
2. Nerd Lacquer Carbon Allotrope
3. Elevation Ama Dablam (for Elevation it could easily been Yushan and Marble Caves)
4. Dior Waterlily
5. Dior St. Tropez - have to agree with nordysgal. This is the perfect spring and summer polish

Honourable mentions are Gloss n' Sparkle Unicorn Droppings and Emily de Molly Insomnia (and I'm not even a big fan of black and white polishes)! I went crazy for awhile buying a lot of indies and premium polishes. I've been destashing heavily and need to downsize my polish spending for 2013.

aaaah, waterlily! I considered adding it to my list, too, but i think i've worn it once all year, which was a sign to me there was something i liked more. and interesting seeing a YSL on your list - i haven't tried any of their polishes, been trying to resist. May need to seek our one or two in these last days of 2012!

great thread! i'm like knas, don't make me choose only five. i think my head my explode.

One stand out comes to mind though, and that's Hare's Bury The Hatchefish..... Love!!
The Zoya Ornate Collection was a home run too.

Aaah, I totally missed the indie roller coaster this year! I don't know why, I just never got into them - I think I naturally dislike the having to hunt/stalk because the good ones are always out of stock. (Although, my Lynderella Connect the Dots is still one of the treasures of my collection! :love:) Plus, indies are not cheap, and there are sooo many! Maybe one day, once I own every Dior and Chanel I could possibly want...

haha try, knas, TRY! :upsidedown:

aaaah, waterlily! I considered adding it to my list, too, but i think i've worn it once all year, which was a sign to me there was something i liked more. and interesting seeing a YSL on your list - i haven't tried any of their polishes, been trying to resist. May need to seek our one or two in these last days of 2012!

Aaah, I totally missed the indie roller coaster this year! I don't know why, I just never got into them - I think I naturally dislike the having to hunt/stalk because the good ones are always out of stock. (Although, my Lynderella Connect the Dots is still one of the treasures of my collection! :love:) Plus, indies are not cheap, and there are sooo many! Maybe one day, once I own every Dior and Chanel I could possibly want...

YSL formula has been consistently amazing to apply. They don't have a ton of colours available in the US or Canada which is a problem. If you're into blues, I highly recommend Blue Majorelle or if you like jewel tones, any of the fuschia ones or violine surrealiste. I recently purchased Jade Imperial and Bronze Pyrite from their spring collection 2013. I have to say though Le Metier had released some fab polishes this year as well like the Northern Lights collection.

Be happy you missed the indie roller coaster! Your wallet would have been much much much poorer if you got in! :lol: Like me.:shame:

I think the polishes I've woen the most must have been Chanel Morning Rose, Holographic and Dragon. But I wiill make a spreadsheet and count when I get a few hours before christmas.

Chanel Distraction - Perfect coral
Chanel Malice - Great vampy red with surprise shimmer
China Glaze Prismatic - The whole collection was perfect and fun
Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream - Just a fab glitter
Essie Beyond Cozy - Perfect accent nail glitter

I couldn't pick just 5, I needed a sixth:

Chanel Blue Boy
Chanel Island
Chanel Tentation
Elevation Polish Higravstinden
Pretty Serious Claris
Zoya Belle by Capitol Hill Style