Home & Garden Your Dream Bedding

Olesya

O.G.
Aug 26, 2009
Tried doing a search but didn't find anything quite like this, please let me know if I missed it...

Say you have unlimited funds to spend on the best mattress, feather bed, any mattress padding, sheets, pillows, and so forth, with a king size bed, what specific items would you acquire?

Hubby and I finally decided to splurge on the best setup we can get, but we don't quite know where to begin.

I never found most hotel beds very comfortable, and the last time I LOVED a hotel bed (Sherry Netherlands in NYC), it was comprised of items that were unavailable for purchase.

Would love to hear your thoughts, ladies (especially if you already have your dream setup! ;)).

We love our sleep number beds. We have had several guests purchase them after staying at our home for a night or two.

When I moved to LA, I discovered a local company that makes the nicest bedding linens and towels called Matteo. They produce soft, garment dyed and natural linens that look as good as they feel. I live for their warehouse and overstock sales. The look is comfortable and effortless. They also make bedding for Restoration Hardware, but their own line is better! It is sold in specialty boutiques across the country. They also sell to several upscale hotels.

Not sure where you live, but if you get to LA they have a outlet center downtown.

I bought my 'dream' bedding 2 years ago after a heavenly hotel stay, where I would describe the bed as sleeping on clouds.

I'm not sure what the hotel used, but I have a warning to avoid latex-topped beds! I bought one and have regretted it ever since. They're super soft in-store but my bed is now notoriously hot as they trap body heat!

I bought my 'dream' bedding 2 years ago after a heavenly hotel stay, where I would describe the bed as sleeping on clouds.

I'm not sure what the hotel used, but I have a warning to avoid latex-topped beds! I bought one and have regretted it ever since. They're super soft in-store but my bed is now notoriously hot as they trap body heat!

Maybe a thick mattress pad would help? We have a generic memory foam mattress which is hot unless we use a good mattress pad.

My best bed is the memory foam (I'll never go back to anything else) with a thick mattress pad.

My favorite sheets are Sferra Giza 45 sateen finish.

Blanket or duvet doesn't matter as long as it's lightweight. I get so warm at night.

BTW, it's a luxury, but our sheets are high count so I send them to the cleaners to be washed and pressed.

I'm happy with a sateen finish but don't find the more expensive brands to be that different from Bloomingdales in house sheets. I have those, Pratessi and Frette I think. I used to have nice Ralph Lauren sheets in a sateen and those where great too. If anything I've been disappointed in how the more expensive sheets wear.

I actually just ordered new Eileen Fisher bedding yesterday. I've been eyeing the silk comforter and washed linen quilt and shams for a while, and noticed that Garnet Hill had them for 25% off the weekend. I decided there was no time like the present for indulging in new lovelies for my bed. Hah!

I splurged on a new bed and mattress about two years ago, and it was the best money I've ever spent. I see my newest additions as the finishing pieces to my perfect night of sleep. :sleepy:

Frette is the closest fine linen store to me, so I have several sets of their towels and sheets (one of the highest quality they make and a couple sets I bought from Gilt not realizing they were the lower end "hotel" version). I would not buy them again. My Pratesi sheets that are twice as old have held up much better. The Frette sheets and towels look and feel like rags in comparison, and I am already thinking of replacing them. I don't know why, but they seem to yellow much faster as well as just generally wear more. Pratesi is so much nicer, and I love that the duvets have zippers. I am sick of losing buttons on the Frette duvets, and it's so much easier to zip the duvet closed in the wash so that pillowcases don't get trapped inside.

Recently I purged all of my old sheets and duvet covers (they were ratty and over 12 years old - hate buying bedding [emoji38]) and I now buy from Parachute Home. Love their beachy and simple look. They also sell wool dryer balls so I have been able to stop using dryer sheets.