Youngsters crave luxury labels

I just saw 20/20 last night and there was a little something about the popularity of designer labels for the very young. A $300 pair of jeans for a toddler? :nuts:

The owner of this boutique where these jeans were sold said "how much do you value your kids?" when John Stossel asked how anyone could spend so much on clothing for little kids. We show value to our kids by what we buy them? What? Is it just me or is that just plain wrong.

Of course I want my daughter to have some nice things but I certainly don't want her to equate that to my love and care and my value for her.

There was even a piece a little later where this little girl mentionned that if you wore nicer clothing you'd be more popular unlike those with "ugly clothing".

I saw that episode too! I thought that woman who owned that botique was way off too! Yeah, and that little girl saying that clothes that weren't very expensive were "ugly"?!?! What have her parents been teaching her?

The other day I was at a place called "color me mine" it's a store that you paint pottery at. Three little girls came in to paint with an adult and I noticed 2 out of the 3 girls were wearing 7FAM jeans! Then the owner of the store asked how old they were and all 3 of them were FOUR years old! And they were coming to paint! Yes, I was wearing 7 jeans at the time (an old pair), but I am 19 years old and don't think I'm as likely to get paint on them. And these little 4 year olds painted in their 7's. I thought it was just crazy! Especially since I didn't get my first pair until my senior year in high school!

LOL I just left the mall and HAD to come directly to this thread. I saw a perfect example.

I was manuvering around in Macy*s shoe dept. with my son in tow in his stroller. I walked past the Coach shoe display and this teenage girl decked out with a Coach bag, Coach sneakers and Coach scarf around her neck, was showing her mom, I assume, a pair of Coach snow boots with fur around the top. She was very rude to her mother and said, "If you DON'T get me these boots, I will never tell you I love you again!"

My jaw dropped. I would never speak to my mother like that. She would back hand me faster that I said it, even if I am grown with my own family.

Well I am 16 and wear designer clothes - my wardrobe isnt decked out in it but i do have quite a fair bit of designer clothing such as TR jeans, burberry cashmere and a chloe paddington bag. I think its more to do with how you are brought up, when I was a baby and couldnt walk in 1991 my mother spent £90 on a pair of boots for me which i feel was rather stupid as they were worn once. Children nowadays are becoming too big for their own boots - thinking they are adults when they are not and trying to act grown up. The 11 and 12 year olds that attend my school are a lot different to the 11 and 12 year olds when I was 11. They dress that bit more grown up and have that extra bit of self confidence they dont need. It is really societies fault, with children seeing celebrities head to toe in designer gear - they just want to be like them so they dress like them. It is quite outrageous though. Here in the Uk I do not see many children dressing in designer clothes, and I actually get criticised for wearing it, however I do agree that children are now dressing way too mature for their age and are consequently loosing their childhood.

It doesn't really seem that they're dressing maturely, they're dressing how the way that they think is mature. The fact that celebrities are virtually everywhere in the media and that ads are constantly being thrown at youth was certainly what sparked a lot of teenage trends, but is not necessarily the only reason now. One major problem is that this generation is so impressed and obsessed with money, even if they don't conciously think that way. The idea is to do well in school, go to a good college, get a good job and make a lot of money. But I'm getting off topic. Many teenagers are under the pressure to look "cool" or depending on the school just "normal."

jeez... the worls is so different now than then.
i was raised in catholic school where we wore school uniforms, we can't even express our individual style with our shoes, i remember those times when Guess jelly shoes was so popular and my school even had our school shoes uniform. there's this black ugly shoes and we have to wear knee high white socks, even our BELTS are from school uniform.

i've been through that till college. and them i was only wearing from brands like esprit, guess, and dkny.

i only go to lv and stuffs when i started working.

my parents never spoiled me with stuffs, they only gave me allowances plus taxi fare, and when i want to buy something, i did it with those money, most of the times i even go with bus so i can have more spares from the taxi fare allowance.

also i want to add the media's been doing so much influence on how to look cool.
in my time, i was only reading teen mags like teen, bop or something like that. not many "how to dress for school" and stuffs.
now teen magz like "teen vogue" encouraged younger girls to dress in branded designers.
although they sometimes featured articles like shop thrifting, runway inspired looks.
but still, when we see a page with a model on chloe outfits, and compared on the right side with a j crew or urban outfitters. teens can see which is better choice, the chloe of course.
also the features on young teens in that magz where girls like 13-14 always from rich parents spoiled and showered with brands like LV, chanel, made teens wants to have them too.

hell, i'm 28 and still reading that "teen vogue" and most of the times, i still can't afford to buy the gorgeous clothes featured there!!!

LOL I just left the mall and HAD to come directly to this thread. I saw a perfect example.

I was manuvering around in Macy*s shoe dept. with my son in tow in his stroller. I walked past the Coach shoe display and this teenage girl decked out with a Coach bag, Coach sneakers and Coach scarf around her neck, was showing her mom, I assume, a pair of Coach snow boots with fur around the top. She was very rude to her mother and said, "If you DON'T get me these boots, I will never tell you I love you again!"

My jaw dropped. I would never speak to my mother like that. She would back hand me faster that I said it, even if I am grown with my own family.

Boy does she have her mother trained!

MY DH has a friend who has bought both his daughters range rovers in the last year. Not the land rovers, the range rovers. One is 18 & one is 26. They deck out head to toe in designers stuff. I have never seen their mother have anything "designer." And she's the sweetest woman.
This is all her DH's stuff. They are over 50 & told us they don't have a dime saved not even for retirement. They came from another country to the US so I don't know if its guilt for having the kids not be around relatives. They don't have the other things, expensive house or furniture, art work, etc. that you'd think someone with 2 range rovers in the family would have. But I think that is very common now.
When I was growing up, no one that had money wanted any one to know they had it.

Um, who should be blamed? Kids get their values from their parents. Parents that put all the focus on the outside are going to have troubled kids. I know people (who are now middle aged adults) whose parents gave them everything, that can't get it together. Many marriages, addictions, their kids are screwed up, etc.
I know someone who came from extreme family wealth that is writing a book on how her parents raising her, giving her everything really screwed her up! How they took away her joy of acquiring the normal things we go through in life. She feels she has nothing to look forward to. She has addiction problems & severe depression. There was a rabbi recently on Oprah who did such a great job talking about this type of situation.
Many people in here aren't going to speak up when a thread goes a certain "direction". I've learned the hard way to stay out of some topics. This is probably a different crowd posting here.
That 20/20 show did a big disservice to people who can't afford designer stuff for their kids by even airing the part about money=love.

My ex was raised in a relatively wealthy family and he never could find a direction in life; even when he was in his late twenties, his parents were still paying his rent and fuel bill. Last time I saw him, he was unhappy in the direction his life was taking, but yet he didn't seem like he was taking any initiative to change it. Why should he bother when his parents continue to foot the bill?

As for youngsters craving luxury labels--I'm glad that I came of age when it was cool to sport thrift-shop finds and travel. I see young women on this board (by young I mean 17-24) who sacrifice and save to buy handbags, and while I admire their fortitude to reach a goal, I just wish that it wasn't for a material posession. Yes, it does sound hypocritical for me to say this, considering that I do the same, but I'm in my thirties now and I have already done some exploring of the world (and plan to do more:graucho:). When I was in my early twenties, I worked to travel, and I don't regret the fun that I had. I haunted Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads, created "looks" for under $50, and partied the night away. I was never once bothered by the fact that my bag cost all of $2.00, as long as I could meet my living obligations and had money to spare. Traveling not only broadened my horizons, but also gave me a better understanding of my self and my capabilities. If I had spent all of my money on my purses back then, I wouldn't have the fabulous memories (oh, and they are fabulous!) :supacool: that I have now.

Did you know only 5% of inherited wealth makes it to the second generation? Says alot, doesn't it.
When I was a kid, my parents spend money on traveling. They taught me to experience different things/cultures was never a waste of money. Dad had 4 weeks vacation & we traveled every summer. DH & I do it up big when we travel, my parents would be shocked at what we spend. But it is a memory that can never be taken away. You can lose your photos & you'll still have your memories.

Some of these posts are really disgusting me. That girl at Macy's, UGH! These kids are going to grow up rich and end up poor.
I have a friend who is like that. She was given everything from a BMW roadster to a $3000 Chanel bag from her parents, but she can barely afford to pay her $450/mo rent for her apt.

I noticed a thing: when I was younger, let's say 15/16 y.o., we all girls had our favourite brands, such as Benetton, Max & Co, Levi's which were really cool and were the top. But these brands were the top only for teenagers.
now we see that kids want the same brands as their parents do, they want Chanel, that 10 years ago sounded like the granny's brand to us, they want Dolce & Gabbana but not D&G, because it's not the main line.
It looks like youngster are loosing identity.

I think this is such a smart point! We really seem to be losing our youth culture. Now it seems like youth culture is just "the" popular culture. The most celebrated of our "celebrities" are basically 17 year olds made up to look like they are 25...so naturally, real teenagers are trying to identify with them rather than forging a kind of alternative culture of their own -- a culture that differentiates them from the adults and lets them "practice" forming social identities and consumption habits.

Rich girls: Louis Vuitton bags, mega-bucks Sweet 16's and major bling aren't just for the Hilton sisters these days. Why girls everywhere suddenly want to live large Girls' Life - Find Articles

Rich girls: Louis Vuitton bags, mega-bucks Sweet 16's and major bling aren't just for the Hilton sisters these days. Why girls everywhere suddenly want to live large

Girls' Life, June-July, 2005 by Lisa Mulcahy, Karen Bokram

Gabrielle *, 13, is the first to admit she loves having the best of everything. She lives in a big, beautiful house, thanks to her financially flush 'rents. Even though her closet is already bursting with designer clothes, this gorgeous spring day finds her toting her new Louis Cherry Blossom bag through a very upscale suburban shopping mall, on the hunt for even more swag.
It isn't long before her mom buys her some designer earrings, three new pairs of shoes and tons of makeup. When asked about the day's haul, Gabby just giggles, "I know I've been spoiled by my parents beyond belief." And she's planning more fun for the future: "I want to have a huge Sweet 16! Bigger than anything you've ever seen on MTV!" she exclaims. "I'll spend a million it, easy, and hire Usher, Mario, Christina Milian, Frankie J and Ashanti to sing!"
Gabrielle's love of livin' large isn't anything new, per se--just about any girl would dig a constant ride of shopping sprees and lavish parties. What is new in today's world is how many girls feel they have to maintain a big-bucks image--or risk feeling like a total reject.

RICH GIRLS
It's all over the place: Gwen Stefani singing, "If I were a rich girl" ... the Gossip Girl novels, which make you so want to live just one day in Blair's or Serena's Manolo Blahniks ... TV shows such as Gastineau Girls and My Super Sweet 16 that celebrate the joy of being as rude as you want--just as long as you have the cold, hard cash to back it up.
Even walking down the halls at school can make a girl feel the heat. Just a few years ago, only a handful of high-school fashionistas knew who Marc Jacobs is. Now many teen fashion magazines blatantly instruct you to covet one of his $500-plus bags.
In 2003/2004, teens ages 13 to 17 spent 11 percent more on luxury items (like clothes, makeup and electronics) than in the previous year. Kids spend an average $170 billion dollars total per year--that's around $3,309 per person at a rate of about $92 a week. It's no coincidence that even upscale brands like Tiffany, Burberry and Ralph Lauren now target teens with special ads and merchandise--and are raking in over $12 billion a year.
The Glamorous Life
As with most trends, the conspicuous consumption started with celebrities. Rhonda Borman, social worker and child lecturer in Tennessee, surveyed a group of girls ages 10 to 15 about the stars they admire. Their top choices: Hilary Duff and Hilary Swank. Initially, what kind of clothes or how much cash the Hilarys had played no role in picking favorites. "The younger girls were mostly not conscious of the impact," says Borman. Interestingly, though, "when I pointed it out," she says, "the girls said they felt jealous many celebrities could get whatever they want!"
TV and magazines treat us to a steady media diet of teen celebs showing off shoes that cost hundreds and outfits that cost thousands. That said, you can't fault Lindsay, Hilary, or Mary-Kate and Ashley for working hard and spending their money how they please.
But then there are the non-working girls who spend their parents' money like there's no tomorrow. Flip on MTV's ultimate spoiled brat-a-thon My Super Sweet 16. Last season featured Natalie, a girl whose sole ambition was to throw a party that would make people burn with jealousy. And let's not forget Ava, who actually auditioned boys for the honor of carrying her into her party (only super-hotties need apply).
My Super Sweet 16 draws mega-strong reactions. "I love that show!" laughs Gabrielle. "It's so cool to see what they spend their money on. The girls on that show are spoiled but cool--it's great to go to a store, try on anything and buy everything you like!"
But we spoke to other girls from backgrounds similar to Gabby's who had the opposite reaction. Lauren, 14, is horrified. "I think the girls on My Super Sweet 16 are really mean," she says. "I'm happy that my parents would never spend $500,000 on a party for me. I want a Sweet 16 with just a couple of friends who really matter to me, and I wouldn't care if I didn't get any gifts!"
The scary message these reality shows can give, though, is that money equals power and that having power means you can do anything you want-no matter how it affects others.
The Price of Friendship
Nicole, 16, reached her limit a few months ago. "I just hate money," she says, exasperated. Though she's probably not the first girl to make that remark, the fact that Nicole says it while sitting in her luxurious bedroom, steps away from her overstocked closet and marble bathroom, makes her take somewhat more unique. Like her friends, she attends a pricey private school, just got a brand-new car for her birthday and is never lacking for funds.
But she sees her wealth as a dividing line between her and some other girls. To her progressive school's credit, her small junior class is a combination of well-to-do daughters and scholarship students from less privileged homes.