The Brightest Light

indiaink

Authenticator
O.G.
May 3, 2007
... you're minding your own business and there she is. A creation that's now 12 years old, that was a limited edition when she was created, only 250 made. No more, ever again. Fatto, finito. Done.

Hand-rubbed finish. Many layers of color and treatment and that golden leaf. HAND-RUBBED.

Many of you know this already, what it took to make Tomas Maier's Cabat. "Making the intrecciato for the Cabat requires two artisans and two full days of work—and that’s not counting the years of training each craftsperson endures. “The know-how of our artisans is passed from generation to generation,” Maier says. “It can take ages to reach the skill level needed to realize one of our Cabat bags.”

Creating the Cabat’s woven motif starts by meticulously hand-crafting the double-faced strips of leather, or the fettucce, into 11 triangles. “The intrecciato is an elegant means to strengthen soft leather,” Maier says. It is essential the artisan maintains a consistent tension and ensures that each strip is at the same diagonal. Raffia is used at various steps as a guide to verify that the intrecciato is properly done. After the triangles have been made, they are assembled and woven on a stand designed specifically for the Cabat."

There's a ton more to the original Cabat, you can read up on it. It is not today's Cabat, not by a long shot.

But back to MY bag. My #003. My Barcelona Platino Ossidato Mini (Asian) Cabat. Thanks to the benevolence of a fellow tPFer and a certain metallic Medium Moon, this Mini PO is mine. :flowers: I can now relive Bottega Veneta's Glory Days and the Hey-Day of the Bottega Veneta forum on tPF.

Without further ado,

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 321
There are not enough heart eye emoji's for that bag... :loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes: Congratulations on getting such an exquisite and unique bag. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: So happy for you. Hope you'll post lots of pics when you carry that work of art. :love::love::love::love::love: And you do realize that we are all insanely jealous of you right now??? But we still love you. As long as you sometimes post pics of that bag... :coolio: Congratulations! :hugs:

Really stunning bag, Indiaink, congratulations! As a newbie to BV, would you mind sharing when the cabat stopped being made in the fashion you describe or, conversely, the years that it was made in this fashion? You mentioned that it isn't "today's cabat" by a long shot. When did it go downhill? Thanks.

Reactions: jbags07