You have £3.5k for a solid gold bracelet. Do you...

nexiv

Seeking treasure
May 28, 2014
..buy a luxury brand bracelet second hand, or buy a brand new custom job from a jewellery/artisan? Which is the better investment?

The preloved luxury brand bracelet has already taken its depreciation hit. However does it still suffer from being overpriced considering the weight and karat of the gold, and the labour gone into making it?

Do you initially get more for your money with a custom bracelet, however suffer a lower, later valuation because it doesn't benefit from being a well known brand?

What would you choose and why? (Ignore the style/appearance for now. Imagine they're both just what you want.)

..buy a luxury brand bracelet second hand, or buy a brand new custom job from a jewellery/artisan? Which is the better investment?

The preloved luxury brand bracelet has already taken its depreciation hit. However does it still suffer from being overpriced considering the weight and karat of the gold, and the labour gone into making it?

Do you initially get more for your money with a custom bracelet, however suffer a lower, later valuation because it doesn't benefit from being a well known brand?

What would you choose and why? (Ignore the style/appearance for now. Imagine they're both just what you want.)

Most of my pieces minus Tiffany has kept it's value if it's name brand especially Cartier or VCA. However any custom made pieces I've had I'm lucky to catch A 1/5 of what I paid for. Usually jewelers will pay for scrap material and throw a little bit more for the design if they can resell it at their store.

If you are already planning on selling it then make sure a name is attached to it. But also if you're planning on selling I wouldn't spend the money to custom make something. Half the jewelry I wear is custom made and I love them and it's sentimental but I don't plan on selling them so I won't have a loss.

Custom job. I'm a sucker for sentimental value, and I'd rather have something that I want and know I will love. Gives it some personal significance, and you can't put a price tag on that. Well...3.5K :P

High end designer names like Tiffany, VCA, Graff, Cartier, Bulgari, Harry Winston will
retain their value but there are also beautifully designed & well crafted jewelry
that are also classic & carry their gold weight.

Buy what you love.. If you have your eye on something specific & it is in good
condition, why not consider it?

Plenty of top names & high end jewelry on the secondary market..

High end designer names like Tiffany, VCA, Graff, Cartier, Bulgari, Harry Winston will
retain their value but there are also beautifully designed & well crafted jewelry
that are also classic & carry their gold weight.

Buy what you love.. If you have your eye on something specific & it is in good
condition, why not consider it?

Plenty of top names & high end jewelry on the secondary market..

Agree.
Have my eye on Pomellato Tango cuff and bracelet

I've not browsed Pomellato before. Chic and understated is what I love. I have a soft spot for the VCA perleé bracelet, but hate the brand name across it!

Pomellato has some really gorgeous jewelry.. I have a beautiful wedding
band I own that was made for me by Pomellato.. very simple but
significant weight & IMO quite chic & understated

Sorry to barge into your thread OP.

Would love to see pix of your Pom ring, if you are willing to share Hotshot.

This is a really tough decision, but up to your personal preference. Recently, I was in the same situation! I received some money for my birthday and opted for a nice piece of jewelry instead of a new handbag. I had even gone out of my way to find a jeweler who I could collaborate with on a design, but still haven't pulled the trigger. What I regret most is not purchasing the vintage pair of gold Cartier bangles I saw in Paris when traveling with family. :sad: I went to Cartier to buy a pair of new ones, but it just wasn't the same. Now I'm still trying to decide what to do with the money! :thinking: A lot of people think I should just buy something new or get something made, but my heart is still with those bangles. There was just something alluring about them.

It's a good question! I love VCA, but it's very hard to pull the trigger because the value does NOT equal the sum of the materials. The designs are beautiful, but lots of designers make beautiful, timeless designs, without so much of a markup. They opened a David Yurman boutique out here - previously I had never looked twice - and I am very impressed with his new, higher-end designs. Lots of "new classics", lots of very wearable pieces, and a better value for the materials. Still, I wonder - does this count as a name brand? What is the value? I never buy with the intent to sell, but my tastes do change over the years. What to do?

This is a very personal choice. My preference is to buy brand name estate as for your money you will get high calibre design which has stood the test of time which is of a proven quality and an most importantly an experienced corporate refurbish/repair department with a reputation to maintain.