Would you wear this bag?

No. If I wanted chocolate cake and my BF gave me vanilla cake, I would be thankful for the thought of him remembering me and giving me something. But I don't know that I will be exactly happy with the fact that he ignored my preference. Same thing with this kind of gift--she wanted a Birkin and not a replica. If he cannot afford it or can't give it to her for whatever reason, he doesn't have to make something like this. Ignoring my preference is not sweet and respectful at all! Definitely a red flag! He could have just given me a card for a special occasion or greeted me verbally. And I would have been content and thankful with that. Romanticizing something not really sweet is what gets a lot of people in trouble!

Last edited:
Well, hard to say because my husband knows I hate fakes. So he would probably never consider it. :P
He would rather spend the time to buy it from the store or pre-loved market than take those 60 hours to make a fake lol.

Also, he would not attempt to make something that he does not have the skillset for when my expectations for leather goods is relatively high...:P If he did, it would be a joke gift that he would make out something like paper, something very obviously a charade of the original for fun.

Well, hard to say because my husband knows I hate fakes. So he would probably never consider it. :P
He would rather spend the time to buy it from the store or pre-loved market than take those 60 hours to make a fake lol.

Also, he would not attempt to make something that he does not have the skillset for when my expectations for leather goods is relatively high...:P If he did, it would be a joke gift that he would make out something like paper, something very obviously a charade of the original for fun.
Exactly, I'm not a 'it's the thought that counts' person. Especially if you know what I want or don't want and get something else or a cheaper version I will feel disrespected

Me personally? It's hard to imagine my husband ever doing this, but I suppose I'd somewhat appreciate the misplaced effort, though it would be exactly that...

Reading the article, it seemed possible that the gf didn't actually seriously want a Birkin (just said she "joked" about it, but it wasn't affordable for them), so if she's not a serious leather goods aficionado and the Birkin mention was truly a joke, maybe she loves it?

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I couldn’t read the article due to paywall. But, I might have stopped my significant other from spending a lot of time, energy, and money making something I wouldn’t wear, oh an hour into the project. If he had already bought all that material, he couls have made a very luxurious tote or something

ETA: agree with @A bottle of Red , that I’m not an ‘It’s the thought that counts’ kind of person

I might have stopped my significant other from spending a lot of time, energy, and money making something I wouldn’t wear, oh an hour into the project. With all that material, he couls have made a very luxurious tote or something
This was definitely going to be my answer. I would’ve stopped him once I saw the material lol

My husband is the kind of guy that would tell his kid they suck at drawing. We don't have kids yet. We are very blunt with each other and won't hold back insults and truth.
Partial jokes aside, the both of us are extremely practical and would never gift anything that wasn't up to par as we are people in the creative industry. I've never made anything for my husband other than food and his last hand-made gift to me was made by a professional dealing with Aerospace Titanium — so he had nothing to do with it.
Short answer: NO.