Would you pay $400 to restore a $1000 bag?

cncm

O.G.
Aug 7, 2010
I recently got this Chanel glazed caviar tote (first pic) for an amazing price from Yoogi’s. It’s in pretty good condition, other than some chipping on the grommets and wear on the corners (but nothing excessive). The only thing is it’s missing the CC charm (the second pic shows what the bag looks like with the charm).

I reached out to Leather Surgeons to see if they could repair some of the minor wear and tear. They told me they can replace the grommets and the missing CC charm, as well as clean/spa the bag for about $400.

I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it? The bag is nice enough to use without any spa work but it’d be nice to get it refreshed. Plus I’d like to get the CC charm back. However I feel weird spending 40% of the cost of the bag on the spa service. On the other hand, I got the tote for an amazing price (the bag is from 2013 so it’s not even that old).

What would you do??

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

Reactions: Roie55
I would not mind putting money into a bag that would be a mainstay in my wardrobe
but I'm not so sure about this bag & in particular Leather Surgeons replacing the CC charm
Wonder how they can replace an original CC charm? JMO

They said they have collected these charms over the years. Not sure how but they did confirm they will be replacing with the original/authentic charm.

I recently got this Chanel glazed caviar tote (first pic) for an amazing price from Yoogi’s. It’s in pretty good condition, other than some chipping on the grommets and wear on the corners (but nothing excessive). The only thing is it’s missing the CC charm (the second pic shows what the bag looks like with the charm).

I reached out to Leather Surgeons to see if they could repair some of the minor wear and tear. They told me they can replace the grommets and the missing CC charm, as well as clean/spa the bag for about $400.

I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it? The bag is nice enough to use without any spa work but it’d be nice to get it refreshed. Plus I’d like to get the CC charm back. However I feel weird spending 40% of the cost of the bag on the spa service. On the other hand, I got the tote for an amazing price (the bag is from 2013 so it’s not even that old).

What would you do??

View attachment 5831493

View attachment 5831494
Rather than think of the charm price as a proportion of what you paid - think of it as buying a Chanel charm. At $400 that’s a good price! Plus you are getting a cleaning out of it. I should think that if the bag had the charm, then it would have been priced at more than $1400. I would do it to complete the bag.

Rather than think of the charm price as a proportion of what you paid - think of it as buying a Chanel charm. At $400 that’s a good price! Plus you are getting a cleaning out of it. I should think that if the bag had the charm, then it would have been priced at more than $1400. I would do it to complete the bag.
Thanks - that's how I'm justifying it to myself. I looked on ebay and the CC bag charms were all selling for ridiculous prices and they weren't even an exact match. I like the look of the bag more with the charm...feel like it's a bit too basic without it.