Would you dare do this?

habanerita

O.G.
May 1, 2006
I bought a Chanel Igloo Black Tote at the last sale for a great price. Love, love, love the design of it and the leather on it, however, it is much too large for my frame. I considered returning it many times, but decided to keep it to use as a travel bag. The problem is, I have several Chanel "travel Bags". Now here is my question, I have a fantastic Cobbler, handbag repair and restyle person where I live. IF the Igloo was 2-1/2" or even 3" shorter it would be perfect for me. I have no intentiion at this point of selling it and would love to enjoy it. Should I, for the first time in my long Chanel life consider altering this bag by making it 2-1/2" to max 3" shorter? here is the picture of the bag.

Original measurements of the bag are: 18" side to side, 16" high. I would get it cut down to 18" side to side (stays the same) by 13" high instead of 16"/ The bag has drawstrings which make it narrower (side to side) when pulled in.
Love the leather, and love the pattern on the bag and the chain lenght.
Opinions wanted.

Attachments

• igloo tote 003 (Medium).jpg
    igloo tote 003 (Medium).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 606
I would say go for it, if you already made up your mind to not sell it, ever...or for a cheap price. The bag is yours to enjoy, Chanel or not, so your should be able to do what you want with it to enjoy it! Plus, with this style, with the horizontal stitching and all, i dare say probably no one will know you altered it. Jmo.

I would. I have a black caviar vintage tote bag with two straps and I shortened the straps by 10". I'm only 5'1 so shortening the straps looks and feels better. I use it as An everyday bag. I'm not planning to resell the bag. You have to enjoy what you have and you have to use it.

I'm not so sure I would. Yes, I'm all for making it into a style that is more wearable, lowering the cost per wear, & enjoying the bag. Of course you'd be carrying it for yourself, but it makes me wonder if others will think your Chanel is a fake because it looks a bit different. I think I would rather buy a cheaper bag that meets my exact needs/specifications.

If your instincts tell you that you should do it, and you will truly love the bag, then I will say 100% go for it!:yahoo:

A bag is a bag, and it should be based on your needs, regardless of the brand, the style, dimensions, or anything.

And it may be true that altering the bag may make some people wonder if its a fake. I say don't worry about them because all it matters is that you appreciate the brand and you appreciate the bag. Your carrying your bag for yourself, not for other people. I certainly don't carry my bags for other people.

Good luck with choosing! :P