Reissue 226 vs Medium / Large Classic?

I have both and love both.

I noticed that almost all who's spoken highly of the reissue style whenever this same question is being posted share something in common (this has been posted many many times that I think a sticky may be called for :smile: Here're these things:
  • They own more than 1 Chanel bag
  • They own both classic and reissue style (at least had at some point if not at the current moment)
  • Most of these people love both reissue and classic but for different reason/occasions
  • They give the same reasons for loving the reissue vs. classic flap
  • Not concerned at all about resale value or consider their bags an "investment"
  • They like reissue because of the following reasons:
    • Elegant and edgy
    • Feels like an "insider's" bag for those who really know/appreciate Chanel
    • The original classic CoCo Chanel bag (despite the naming convention) - fun fact: Coco's 1st Chanel flap bag was reissue style in Chevron (not quilted!)
    • Practicality (size/chain/durability/lightweight)
    • Under the radar but beautiful - subtle elegance
I also noticed that almost all who's spoken against the reissue style whenever this question is posted share the same thing in common below:
  • States classic being the style most known (CC logo)/concern that the reissue style does not standout/has the "wow" factor
  • Often concerned/told by others on worthy of the "investment" or "resale value"
Just some observations. I love both bags truly and it's really hard to choose (I refuse to). However, in all seriousness, I find that the classic flap does stand out more and it's very much "in your face" - which I don't really see as a bad thing. I spent $5k on it because I do like the classic simple style and stunning leather - typically you don't pay that money for a bag that you are not "wow'ed by. however i'm truly not wow'ed by the logo - it really is the whole esthetic of the bag and leather. The reissue though I can use much easier. it's the bag that people do a double take because it's just stunning in its style and leather quality. It's like that really good looking guy that walks in the room wearing just jeans and plaid shirt if you know what I mean, vs the good looking guy who's all decked out like he walked off a page of a magazine. :giggle:

Seriously - why choose? there's a time and place for both :lol: Like, 1st one I go to movies with and take home to meet my parents... 2nd one I'd take to meet my friends (make them all jelly-hahaha), go partying with, snap photos with and "accidentally" send a blast email to all my ex's... :happydance:

see how 'investment value" and "resale" value doesn't come into play? they both make me happy in different ways, and I would be happy to have both/either. :drinks: => exactly how I feel about reissue and classic.
Is it really the chevron? Because I saw this picture in the net.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 446
I have the cc logo since I was like 12. lol. That's my very first chanel bag.. i got it brand new.. it's a camera bag which is now a vintage bag already. I also have the gst haha! But I haven't had a chance to own a classic flap yet. So that makes me feel torn. I believe any girl should own even just one classic flap.. But the reissue 226 is like the perfect bag.. understated yet elegant, would not make you downsize much like the M/L though would not make you feel that the bag is kinda big like the jumbo.. Bonus is that it is the bag chanel made. Maybe I'll end up buying both. Haha! I just dont know which to get first.

You're right, you probably will eventually end up with both! My advice would be to get the most functional bag first. That way, you're not buying a bag that has limited usage where you're always kicking yourself about it. For you, that sounds like the reissue since you won't have to downsize as much. But whichever bag it is, use it for a while and see if you're still jonesing for the other bag. Then you'll have a better idea of whether you want a m/l, a jumbo, a larger reissue, or something else.

I have both and love both.

I noticed that almost all who's spoken highly of the reissue style whenever this same question is being posted share something in common (this has been posted many many times that I think a sticky may be called for :smile: Here're these things:
  • They own more than 1 Chanel bag
  • They own both classic and reissue style (at least had at some point if not at the current moment)
  • Most of these people love both reissue and classic but for different reason/occasions
  • They give the same reasons for loving the reissue vs. classic flap
  • Not concerned at all about resale value or consider their bags an "investment"
  • They like reissue because of the following reasons:
    • Elegant and edgy
    • Feels like an "insider's" bag for those who really know/appreciate Chanel
    • The original classic CoCo Chanel bag (despite the naming convention) - fun fact: Coco's 1st Chanel flap bag was reissue style in Chevron (not quilted!)
    • Practicality (size/chain/durability/lightweight)
    • Under the radar but beautiful - subtle elegance
I also noticed that almost all who's spoken against the reissue style whenever this question is posted share the same thing in common below:
  • States classic being the style most known (CC logo)/concern that the reissue style does not standout/has the "wow" factor
  • Often concerned/told by others on worthy of the "investment" or "resale value"
Just some observations. I love both bags truly and it's really hard to choose (I refuse to). However, in all seriousness, I find that the classic flap does stand out more and it's very much "in your face" - which I don't really see as a bad thing. I spent $5k on it because I do like the classic simple style and stunning leather - typically you don't pay that money for a bag that you are not "wow'ed by. however i'm truly not wow'ed by the logo - it really is the whole esthetic of the bag and leather. The reissue though I can use much easier. it's the bag that people do a double take because it's just stunning in its style and leather quality. It's like that really good looking guy that walks in the room wearing just jeans and plaid shirt if you know what I mean, vs the good looking guy who's all decked out like he walked off a page of a magazine. :giggle:

Seriously - why choose? there's a time and place for both :lol: Like, 1st one I go to movies with and take home to meet my parents... 2nd one I'd take to meet my friends (make them all jelly-hahaha), go partying with, snap photos with and "accidentally" send a blast email to all my ex's... :happydance:

see how 'investment value" and "resale" value doesn't come into play? they both make me happy in different ways, and I would be happy to have both/either. :drinks: => exactly how I feel about reissue and classic.

That's a good summary! I'm loving the fact that the first one was a Chevron, I had no idea!!

Reactions: tolliv
Just finished reading all your comments. Im shocked that really it's possible to choose the reissue over the classic flaps. Im just wondering why the resale value of the reissue is not so good like the classic flap when in fact a lot of people want it.. By saying that 226 goes from day to night and elegant does it mean gold hardware? Also, if this is really the case, the SA at Chanel Boutique should stop discouraging someone not to buy the reissue as they would say that it is not anywhere close to the beauty of the classic flaps. It's too ordinary. Not so elegant.

Resale value is all relative to the times. 10-15 yrs ago, Chanel was not popular. Who knows what the future holds for the secondary market for it in terms of making a profit. Buy the bag that you love and will wear. Get your moneys worth out of it by USING it.
Luxury means being able to buy the best that you can afford and use the item for your enjoyment.
I think that depending on the material and hwd, the reissue and classic can be just as elegant (ie, going to a formal event) to very casual (ie, walking to the corner store for grocery.) Patent, smooth, metallic, exotic leathers will always be more dressy no matter what the lock is: CC or mademoiselle.

I would say that this reissue is pretty elegant and would definitely turn heads.
BD64858-CHANEL%20reissue%20siler%20flap_a.jpg

BD64858-CHANEL%20reissue%20siler%20flap_b.jpg

Last edited:
So glad this thread was started because I am currently having a similar debate. I own the Classic Jumbo w/SHW and I love it! So much, that I decided I needed the same size bag but with GHW, so I ordered and just received my Classic jumbo w/GHW. But then I saw a pic of a jumbo reissue w/GHW and my mouth dropped! Now I'm debating on whether or not to send the classic back and get the reissue or stick with classic and wait until my next bag purchase to get the reissue. After reading all of the posts, I'm leaning towards the reissue since I already have a classic, but we shall see. I haven't even unwrapped the box to my new jumbo, so who knows what I'll feel once I do! Thanks to everyone who posted comments! They were really helpful!

So glad this thread was started because I am currently having a similar debate. I own the Classic Jumbo w/SHW and I love it! So much, that I decided I needed the same size bag but with GHW, so I ordered and just received my Classic jumbo w/GHW. But then I saw a pic of a jumbo reissue w/GHW and my mouth dropped! Now I'm debating on whether or not to send the classic back and get the reissue or stick with classic and wait until my next bag purchase to get the reissue. After reading all of the posts, I'm leaning towards the reissue since I already have a classic, but we shall see. I haven't even unwrapped the box to my new jumbo, so who knows what I'll feel once I do! Thanks to everyone who posted comments! They were really helpful!
I know! Good luck on your choice!

Resale value is all relative to the times. 10-15 yrs ago, Chanel was not popular. Who knows what the future holds for the secondary market for it in terms of making a profit. Buy the bag that you love and will wear. Get your moneys worth out of it by USING it.
Luxury means being able to buy the best that you can afford and use the item for your enjoyment.
I think that depending on the material and hwd, the reissue and classic can be just as elegant (ie, going to a formal event) to very casual (ie, walking to the corner store for grocery.) Patent, smooth, metallic, exotic leathers will always be more dressy no matter what the lock is: CC or mademoiselle.

I would say that this reissue is pretty elegant and would definitely turn heads.

From which season is that?

I would too!

I am surprised that the 2.55 reissue is getting more love than, say, 5 or even 3 years ago. It used to be the classic flap being the more popular. But I guess it is also about which size is the one being in question. If it were between the jumbo and 226, perhaps answers may be more varied.

When I bought my 2.55 flaps years ago, my friends did not even know that they were Chanel. Most still don't, haha! That is what I love about it, plus the history behind it of course. :smile:

Last edited:

First of all... OMG @Tulip2 are you seeing what I'm seeing?! :wtf:

I think Minty tea summarized it beautifully.

I often wonder if the classic CC style sells better/higher resale value simply because many folks who are looking at the 2nd hand market are trying to get an alternative way to "get in" on Chanel at a less crazy price, and as such would prefer to get a 2nd hand bag that actually "spells" CC on the bag with the logo. Of course there are many who purchases aftermarket for the beautiful vintage style/leather/gold plated hardware but just wondering if the stated can be a large part of the aftermarket target audience as well. You will also see in the resale market that many classic black jumbo quilted with basic gold/silver hardware are selling at current price or higher.... this also seems to indicate that there are quite a lot of folks willing to just pay the same or higher price as the boutique full price to just be able to get their hands on these. The truth is, the ladies with a few Chanels in their closet generally have SAs who should be able to get them the classics in a relatively reasonable time, which also made me think that the resale market is truly targeting new Chanel bag owners as well (which in turn points back to the whole higher resale value for the classic style with logo right there in the front/more recognizable as Chanel theory).

EDIT: I just realized that I hope no one finds the above offensive/insensitive as I certainly don't mean it that way. Chanel prices are quite insane (as we can see in the "hockey stick" effect of the price increase over just a short period of time). It's quite a lot for someone to pay for a 1st bag in the brand to see if they truly like/appreciate it. There is certainly a reason that the resale market is so active on this. That's what the above is in regards to... Hey, if I am serious about getting maybe 1 bag only or if I want to see if I like it, I'd get a vintage and with the logo too just saying. Unfortunately for me, it was love at first sight/touch in store and there was no hope - poor bank account... and the mixed emotion of happiness and sadness continues...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mockingbird255