Would you bring your Chanel on a European Cruise?

ln88

O.G.
Jan 18, 2012
Hi ladies! I am not a frequent cruiser (went on one with my family to the Caribbean a long time ago) but BF and I have been invited on a European Cruise in April and I am just curious if you think I should bring my Chanel or not? We are stopping in some fabulous ports in France, Monaco and Italy and I would love to carry a shoulder bag like my classic flap around.

As a rule of thumb, I am usually more comfortable bringing my designer bags on vacations to Europe and Asia and bringing non-designer to Caribbean and South America trips.

What do you ladies think?

Yes, I would take a bag with me. I prefer to take my WOCs for travelling but if you need more room than a classic flap. I carry all the time a Chanel bag with me, so why not on a cruise?!:yes:

Yes, definitely! If you are comfortable wearing the flap on your European trips, I don't see why being on a cruise would be any different. I always lock my bags in my suitcase when not in use, so I would just make sure you do the same in your cabin. Enjoy your fab vacation!

I am on holiday now. For this trip in tropical Kona, HI. I have my new Indigo Birkin bag and my Navy reissue WOC along with four pair of Chanel new cruise espadrilles and ballerina flats. (more nautical theme wardrobe this time). I always take my Chanels: a flap, backpack, a mini and/or WOCs.

I love travelling with my WOCs as they are versatile. I have also taken at least one or two while on a cruise and put them in a safe if provided or locked in a suitcase on whatever continent I am on. I do think that you should be conscientious about the environment that you will be in and always be safe. Pickpocketers and muggers are international and sometime you can never tell who the con artist/criminals are.

I believe that all of our luxury items are to be used and not coveted. Life is too short. Take it this spring, enjoy your trip, and bon voyage!!!!!!!!!

sassygee said:
I am on holiday now. For this trip in tropical Kona, HI. I have my new Indigo Birkin bag and my Navy reissue WOC along with four pair of Chanel new cruise espadrilles and ballerina flats. (more nautical theme wardrobe this time). I always take my Chanels: a flap, backpack, a mini and/or WOCs.

I love travelling with my WOCs as they are versatile. I have also taken at least one or two while on a cruise and put them in a safe if provided or locked in a suitcase on whatever continent I am on. I do think that you should be conscientious about the environment that you will be in and always be safe. Pickpocketers and muggers are international and sometime you can never tell who the con artist/criminals are.

I believe that all of our luxury items are to be used and not coveted. Life is too short. Take it this spring, enjoy your trip, and bon voyage!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Do you think an M/L flap would fit in a typical safety deposit box on board?

ops! i am the opposite. if i travel, i don't want to worry about valuables or having to lock up my bags in the suitcase ( which can be stolen) and usually the safe provided is not that big.

just my 2 cents! :P

Hi! I am a major cruiser, and my husband and I like to go on a cruise once a year (we're doing Hawaii in 2013). We also travel a lot overseas, especiall to Europe. That said, here are my thoughts.

For a vacation to Europe, I think a Chanel bag is great and I take mine to places such a Paris, London, etc.

However, for a cruise, I do not. And here is why:
Most of the time when you are on a cruise, you are on an excursion during the day and you are a tourist. For a Mediterreanean cruise, one day, you may stop in Rome, and you will see the Coliseum. For day excursions which I am sure you will go on, I like to always wear a crossbody bag to be hands free. I also always carry a bottle of water and disposable wet wipes to wipe your hands. Also bring along a paper tissue pack as bathrooms are not always what you think. And of course, you need to bring the usual wallet, passport, and camera. Because of all this, I like a crossbody, and my bag of choice is a Longchamp crossbody nylon tote. Nearly everyone in Paris has a Longchamp, so it's simple yet chic.

For evenings on a cruise, you will most likely be walking around on the boat and having dinner at the boat. My first couple of cruises, I brought along my Chanels, but then, I only "dressed up" for dinner, which is literally 1.5 hours. What a waste of effort to carry a bag for 1.5 hours. And after dinner, my husband and I go right back to our room and change into more casual clothes and walk around the boat.

So... to me, for a cruise, I stopped bringing my Chanels as I never used them. Such a waste of luggage room.

And to be honest.. there is nothing worse than a tourist at a touristy site wearing a Chanel. It looks like the person is just trying to flash their bag. Putting it in terms we can relate to in the U.S.... it's like wearing a Chanel to Disney World or Busch Gardens... totally silly in my opinon.

That's my opinion based on my experiences.

If you had a lot of "formal night out", sure, it would be fine. But you should plan on a bag for the day. Seeing Rome or London or Monaco during the day, especially at tourist attracations like the Eiffel Tower, Buckhingham Palace, wearing a Chanel is goofy looking to me. Everyone knows you're a tourist, and to me... there is nothing worst than visting a tourist attraction with a Chanel bag. I have seen women at the Eiffel tower with a Chanel bag wearing high heel pumps... so ridiculous. And they are impressing no one, but looking out of place.

Of course anyone can wear a Chanel at any place, but it's all about looking chic for the environment you are in, and when you're a tourist... a nice crossbody bag is perfect. Look into Longchamp if you are not familiar.

Plus... you really need to wear a bag to carry stuff as I mentioned earlier... bottled water, moist wet wipes, pocket kleenex. These are musts when travelling in Europe.

Just my opinions. I hope this was helpful.

And you will LOVE the cruise. Have a great time! Get those cruise t-shirts on board the ship. I love them... cheap price, great quality! A cheap but lasting souvenir.

Hi ladies! I am not a frequent cruiser (went on one with my family to the Caribbean a long time ago) but BF and I have been invited on a European Cruise in April and I am just curious if you think I should bring my Chanel or not? We are stopping in some fabulous ports in France, Monaco and Italy and I would love to carry a shoulder bag like my classic flap around.

As a rule of thumb, I am usually more comfortable bringing my designer bags on vacations to Europe and Asia and bringing non-designer to Caribbean and South America trips.

What do you ladies think?

I'm going on a mediterranean cruise in april-may too! i plan on taking at least my WOC, but otherwise I have my MBMJ and a Prada crossbody. the cruise I'm taking, while it also stop in Cannes, it starts/end in Barcelona and with all the horror stories I hear about pickpocketing, safety is my priority. Non-attention drawing crossbody bag with zipper closure!

Thank you!!!

Do you think an M/L flap would fit in a typical safety deposit box on board?

The mini, WOC, and/or M/L did fit along with other things camera etc.... You will not have any problems...just remember the passcode you use (hahaha). Last year, first time ever, during the middle of the cruise we forgot the second passcode we used. We are sadly packing to return home now. Wow from a wonderful 85/88 degrees swimming and snorkeling to a blistery 35 on the east coast and returning to work. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi! I am a major cruiser, and my husband and I like to go on a cruise once a year (we're doing Hawaii in 2013). We also travel a lot overseas, especiall to Europe. That said, here are my thoughts.

For a vacation to Europe, I think a Chanel bag is great and I take mine to places such a Paris, London, etc.

However, for a cruise, I do not. And here is why:
Most of the time when you are on a cruise, you are on an excursion during the day and you are a tourist. For a Mediterreanean cruise, one day, you may stop in Rome, and you will see the Coliseum. For day excursions which I am sure you will go on, I like to always wear a crossbody bag to be hands free. I also always carry a bottle of water and disposable wet wipes to wipe your hands. Also bring along a paper tissue pack as bathrooms are not always what you think. And of course, you need to bring the usual wallet, passport, and camera. Because of all this, I like a crossbody, and my bag of choice is a Longchamp crossbody nylon tote. Nearly everyone in Paris has a Longchamp, so it's simple yet chic.

For evenings on a cruise, you will most likely be walking around on the boat and having dinner at the boat. My first couple of cruises, I brought along my Chanels, but then, I only "dressed up" for dinner, which is literally 1.5 hours. What a waste of effort to carry a bag for 1.5 hours. And after dinner, my husband and I go right back to our room and change into more casual clothes and walk around the boat.

So... to me, for a cruise, I stopped bringing my Chanels as I never used them. Such a waste of luggage room.

And to be honest.. there is nothing worse than a tourist at a touristy site wearing a Chanel. It looks like the person is just trying to flash their bag. Putting it in terms we can relate to in the U.S.... it's like wearing a Chanel to Disney World or Busch Gardens... totally silly in my opinon.

That's my opinion based on my experiences.

If you had a lot of "formal night out", sure, it would be fine. But you should plan on a bag for the day. Seeing Rome or London or Monaco during the day, especially at tourist attracations like the Eiffel Tower, Buckhingham Palace, wearing a Chanel is goofy looking to me. Everyone knows you're a tourist, and to me... there is nothing worst than visting a tourist attraction with a Chanel bag. I have seen women at the Eiffel tower with a Chanel bag wearing high heel pumps... so ridiculous. And they are impressing no one, but looking out of place.

Of course anyone can wear a Chanel at any place, but it's all about looking chic for the environment you are in, and when you're a tourist... a nice crossbody bag is perfect. Look into Longchamp if you are not familiar.

Plus... you really need to wear a bag to carry stuff as I mentioned earlier... bottled water, moist wet wipes, pocket kleenex. These are musts when travelling in Europe.

Just my opinions. I hope this was helpful.

And you will LOVE the cruise. Have a great time! Get those cruise t-shirts on board the ship. I love them... cheap price, great quality! A cheap but lasting souvenir.

+1
I agree with this post. Of course it depends on you but I like to act like a tourist so I personally don't want to baby my bag when I am on vacation. Have fun on your vacation!!