would Coco approve of your Chanel?

loubie99

Nov 27, 2011
I'm not trying to step on any toes or pass any judgement with this question. I was reading some Coco Chanel quoted earlier and came across this one - "luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it's not luxury."

I am constantly seeing people "save" for expensive bags and shoes that they don't readily have the funds for. So this quote got me wondering... is this practice really worth it? Stressing over credit card debt or unpaid bills to carry a fancy bag seems crazy to me, yet people are doing it every day (let's not even get into splurging on fancy cars).

In college, I lived at home and saved a lot of money but I still didn't buy any designer handbags because it just didn't make sense to own something so expensive making $12/hr as an intern.

Now that DH and I have good jobs and are completely debt free and our savings are maxed out, I used extra money on a classic jumbo last year and a mini this year. But that's it. I'm done. I don't need any more chanel bags. Do I spend a good bit on my wardrobe? Yes. But I know what I can afford and I prefer to live below my means. Otherwise, all the money in the world isn't enough.

What does everyone else think?? Are luxury goods still luxury if someone can barely afford them?

I have not seen the full context this quote came from but "comfortable" to me does not mean affordable within your means but to me I read this as easy to wear / not painful probably more intended towards clothing?

I always thought about it from a clothing perspective. It is true! I am very uncoordinated. I love how high heels look, but hate to wear them because I have trouble walking in them. So does it make sense for me to topple around in high heels or wear a good looking flat that I am comfortable and confident to walk in? The flat is for me, my DH thinks so as will and hates when I wear heels. he prefers me in a flat.

I too think that the quote literally means comfortable not affordable. Even with heels, I will not buy an uncomfortable pair of pumps even if they are gorgeous. I have managed to find super comfortable louboutins, valentinos, choos, etc and those are the ones I buy.

To your other point about whether your wallet is comfortable, I agree with you. Getting into cc debt and money issues for a luxury item, imho, is just not worth it and not smart. On the other hand, if you live comfortably and can save little by little to then splurge on your dream purse or heels, then by all means. At least you are doing it responsibly.

To me, it means you wear and use the bag, not letting the bag decide the circumstances. Many here know I take my Chanel bags everywhere, from the beach to the park, from the market to home depot. I fill them with memories, rocks, shells, and anything else that catches my fancy. I didn't even own a key case until this year, but I still don't put my keys in them. I just drop them into my bag. I put my bag down on the concrete, sling it over a chair, and my favorite place is over a door knob. I feel easy and comfortable with the things that I buy, I don't go into debt for them, and they are just part of my way of dressing. I don't dress up for them (that's silly, much as is dressing up to go to an appointment with a physician or attorney, but some do this), they come along for the ride. I love to do leather care, but only started that a couple of years ago. Despite this, my bags look glowing with patina from use. I think that's something Coco would approve of, given the looks of her bag.

Attachments

• coco bag leather usedrrrrr - Copy.jpg
    coco bag leather usedrrrrr - Copy.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 441
  • chanel reissue r - Copy.jpg
    chanel reissue r - Copy.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
I agree tutu, and I like your approach! I used to be really paranoid about my designer bags at first, but now I don't baby them like I used to. It kind of takes all the fun out of owning it if you're constantly worrying about every little dent and scratch.

I agree tutu, and I like your approach! I used to be really paranoid about my designer bags at first, but now I don't baby them like I used to. It kind of takes all the fun out of owning it if you're constantly worrying about every little dent and scratch.
I totally agree, we only live once in life, so why not enjoy what we love if it"s Chanel, use it everyday and enjoy.

To me, it means you wear and use the bag, not letting the bag decide the circumstances. Many here know I take my Chanel bags everywhere, from the beach to the park, from the market to home depot. I fill them with memories, rocks, shells, and anything else that catches my fancy. I didn't even own a key case until this year, but I still don't put my keys in them. I just drop them into my bag. I put my bag down on the concrete, sling it over a chair, and my favorite place is over a door knob. I feel easy and comfortable with the things that I buy, I don't go into debt for them, and they are just part of my way of dressing. I don't dress up for them (that's silly, much as is dressing up to go to an appointment with a physician or attorney, but some do this), they come along for the ride. I love to do leather care, but only started that a couple of years ago. Despite this, my bags look glowing with patina from use. I think that's something Coco would approve of, given the looks of her bag.

Your bags are beautiful! I love how you said you take them everywhere and saw the thread where Home Depot was brought up.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

I totally agree with you, we need to enjoy our Chanel and love that we can afford it,