Would barn cats attack my kittens?

Nyria

Diggin TPF
O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
I have 2 kittens (about 10 mo old) who are indoor / outdoor cats. They can come in and out as they please - but prefer to spend most of their time outside.

As falls gets closer we are getting lots if mice inside (I love on an acreage) and my kitties just aren't cuttin it.

I was thinking of taking some of my friend's barn cats and have them live in one of our buildings out back.

But these cats are very wild and I worry they might attack my kittens.

Would they?

Thanks. :heart:

I think no one can guarantee that your cats won't be attacked by your friends' cats... They will fight if they feel the need to whether one is a barn cat or not. I think it is more to do with territory...

If they are feral like how it sounds, they will fight. Do you know if the barn kitties have been vaccinated, tested for FIV/Flv, spayed/neutered?

You know what - I never even thought of all that -- I bet they haven't been. That's too much risk.
I was worried about them attacking but I should worry about them giving my cats diseases and stuff eh.
I think the males they have have been neutered the 'farm way' :crybaby: (they're pretty old school farmers).

I think I'll put out some mouse traps.

As someone who lives on property with a barn and barn cats, feral male cats will kill litters of kittens if they find them. Usually by the time a kitten can eat solid food and run around, though, that is no longer a danger. They do fight about territory, but it is more closely tied to mating and the males fight more than the females (MUCH more). If your kittens are spayed or neutered, it will drastically decrease the chances that they will engage or be engaged in fighting. Since kittens aren't sexually mature and are past the age of weaning, the feral males ought to take no issue with them and just avoid them.

Overall, your kittens should be fine. We brought in a domesticated kitten that was 10 weeks old (a friend was going to "dispose of" the kitten, which I thought was barbaric) to our barn, and she has been doing great. No fighting, no attacks, nothing.

off topic here hautemama but - I was going to ask this in another thread ... how old should my cats be when I get them fixed - we have a male and a female =)
Thanks

If your kittens are big enough to be in the barn to play and hunt then they shouldn't be at too big a risk of being killed by any dominant barn cat. They may get a butt kicking, but not likely killed. The barn cat spats I've been privy to don't usually last long and 9 times out of 10 are to establish pecking order.

As someone who lives on property with a barn and barn cats, feral male cats will kill litters of kittens if they find them. Usually by the time a kitten can eat solid food and run around, though, that is no longer a danger. They do fight about territory, but it is more closely tied to mating and the males fight more than the females (MUCH more). If your kittens are spayed or neutered, it will drastically decrease the chances that they will engage or be engaged in fighting. Since kittens aren't sexually mature and are past the age of weaning, the feral males ought to take no issue with them and just avoid them.

^^
Sorry to go off topic, but I heard studies of this that the barn cat society mimics the lion society in the wild. Something like that the male lions will kill the cubs of the other pride so the female can be free of nursing and go in heat right away and hence pass his own seeds... I saw a video and it was pretty sad. But that's the wild... Ok, :back2topic:

^^
Sorry to go off topic, but I heard studies of this that the barn cat society mimics the lion society in the wild. Something like that the male lions will kill the cubs of the other pride so the female can be free of nursing and go in heat right away and hence pass his own seeds... I saw a video and it was pretty sad. But that's the wild... Ok, :back2topic:

Oh yeah - we learned about that in my Anthroplogy class - I fogot about that :yes:

Yep, ITA :tup: