Worries are over! I found a Jet Black City and it's from F/W! Pix :)

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
Earlier I posted my concerns that I was worried I missed out on a very dark black City from the Spring. Well, I went to the Balenciaga Boutique and all they had were S/S ones and at first I was thrilled. They had like 7 of them and unfortunately not ONE was good. The leather was awful and they all looked like that very dark dark grey kinda faded black. I was shocked because I thought the S/S Black Cities were supposed to all be jet black.

Anyway, I then went to Barneys and they had one Black City left from F/W. I was very surprised how amazing the color is and the quality of the leather. It is thick and smooshy :yahoo:

So please be honest. Does this look very dark? Or can I find an even better one?

blackcity4.jpg

blackcity3.jpg

More flash on it:
blackcity6.jpg

No flash, window open.
blackcity5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, from what I see, this one is a keeper! It looks super dark and saturated and the leather looks so thick and soft. To me, it's a perfect specimen!

If it looks good to you and you love the leather, it looks like a keeper to me! I just posted a pic of the one I got today from BalNY in your original thread. I am happy with it as far as being black enough. I love the jet black of the oldies, but I also like some variation since I now have a few black Bals. You can drive yourself nuts looking for the "perfect" black City (speaking from experience, LOL). I think you did good and you sound very happy with it, so enjoy!

If it looks good to you and you love the leather, it looks like a keeper to me! I just posted a pic of the one I got today from BalNY in your original thread. I am happy with it as far as being black enough. I love the jet black of the oldies, but I also like some variation since I now have a few black Bals. You can drive yourself nuts looking for the "perfect" black City (speaking from experience, LOL). I think you did good and you sound very happy with it, so enjoy!

I just saw yours! Your black one looks fabulous as well! The other ones I saw today were really blah. Every girl here would have passed on them. Like you said, you can really drive yourself nuts looking for a perfect black City. I definitely still think Balenciaga needs to up their game on the black leathers. It's just too much variation and I don't quite see why it's so difficult for them to saturate the leathers to a deeper color. One SA told me it's cuz they use vegetable dye. And the point is?? lol

My 05 Black Work was theee best black leather and color ever. Of course now 4 years later it has faded a bit but it's still darker than most of the new ones.

I just read on here that a couple of you noticed that your 09 Black Cities were already turning the dreaded green shade. I thought that those days were over :sad: Is this common so far this year on these black bags? I saw a new S/S 09 Black Work today that had that green hue. So very :yucky:

Based on the pics, I would say this City looks very black - and it has wonderful-looking leather... Really smooshy and lightly distressed.. I would say this is a beauty and you should keep her. Congrats on finding one!