Worried about this sale...

JuliJenn

Spring flash of color
O.G.
Jan 14, 2012
I recently sold an Alexander McQueen scarf on eBay. It was listed at $150 and sold for $70 best offer. The buyer made the offer of $65 and I came back with $75 and she countered at $70, which I accepted. The scarf if listed as soft beige. The site I bought the scarf from listed it as soft beige. In my eyes, the color is beige. I shipped the scarf right out and today, I got this message from the buyer:

the scarf's color is darker than your picture. do you think so?

Here is the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161372428670

I am not sure how I could have described the color of the scarf scarf any differently. I emailed her back:

Thank you for your message. I am sorry, but I do not know what you mean. The color is as it was listed, soft beige. The store I bought the scarf from listed it as soft beige. I sold the scarf at a significant discount. It is authentic and as described. Thank you again, and I hope you have a great day! Kind regards,

I probably shouldn't have said anything about selling it the scarf at a huge discount, but in my eyes, I gave this buyer a hell of a bargain for an authentic (with proof from Authenticate4u.com) Alexander McQueen scarf and shipped it out immediately and now she is going to ding my stars, I expect. Any advice on how I should handle this complaint? I think its a complaint, right? I expect to hear back from her, and I just thought I should ask for some advice on how best to handle and if I should accept a return. The listing is no returns, but I would rather not fight someone over a shade of color, which is so subjective. Thank you so much for your help! I hope you have a wonderful day!

I recently sold an Alexander McQueen scarf on eBay. It was listed at $150 and sold for $70 best offer. The buyer made the offer of $65 and I came back with $75 and she countered at $70, which I accepted. The scarf if listed as soft beige. The site I bought the scarf from listed it as soft beige. In my eyes, the color is beige. I shipped the scarf right out and today, I got this message from the buyer:

the scarf's color is darker than your picture. do you think so?

Here is the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161372428670

I am not sure how I could have described the color of the scarf scarf any differently. I emailed her back:

Thank you for your message. I am sorry, but I do not know what you mean. The color is as it was listed, soft beige. The store I bought the scarf from listed it as soft beige. I sold the scarf at a significant discount. It is authentic and as described. Thank you again, and I hope you have a great day! Kind regards,

I probably shouldn't have said anything about selling it the scarf at a huge discount, but in my eyes, I gave this buyer a hell of a bargain for an authentic (with proof from Authenticate4u.com) Alexander McQueen scarf and shipped it out immediately and now she is going to ding my stars, I expect. Any advice on how I should handle this complaint? I think its a complaint, right? I expect to hear back from her, and I just thought I should ask for some advice on how best to handle and if I should accept a return. The listing is no returns, but I would rather not fight someone over a shade of color, which is so subjective. Thank you so much for your help! I hope you have a wonderful day!

This is a lovely floral scarf & the color is described well... I'm not so sure
that I would spoil my perfect feedback over this but that is your choice &
if you do take the return there is still no guarantee the buyer will not
leave undeserved feedback, IYKWIM

The price, the condition & the authenticity is not in question just the color.

Think about it & am sure others will chime in.

It's definitely not worth a fight. I just offered a full refund minus original shipping upon return of the scarf. ITA with you, Hot Shot, that it's not about the condition or the price or the authenticity. That was stupid of me to bring up. It's about her being happy with the purchase and she's not. So I'll offer a resolution and she can decide if the color is acceptable or not. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again very much for your kind advice. :smile: I hope you have a lovely day!

I think the presentation in your listing was done very well and you answered her questions factually and with professionalism. Tough not to worry, but the scarf is soft beige. I think she will be happy with it and you shouldn't have a problem. I get the feeling she may just not like it which is buyer's remorse. I would offer a return but she would be responsible for return shipping and the original shipping.

Last edited:
It's definitely not worth a fight. I just offered a full refund minus original shipping upon return of the scarf. ITA with you, Hot Shot, that it's not about the condition or the price or the authenticity. That was stupid of me to bring up. It's about her being happy with the purchase and she's not. So I'll offer a resolution and she can decide if the color is acceptable or not. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again very much for your kind advice. :smile: I hope you have a lovely day!

Unfortunately there are too many options a buyer has these days unfairly
or fairly when it comes to returning an item.

When you put this all in perspective, this is really not about the price, description
authenticity or color... It is IMO, strictly buyer's remorse....

Return shipping is on your buyer I'm sure she is aware of that. Re-list this
lovely scarf & it will find its rightful home..

Good luck to you & would suggest putting this buyer on your BBL list..

You don't need a second go round with a buyer like this

And most important, you too have a lovely day!!!

unfortunately there are too many options a buyer has these days unfairly
or fairly when it comes to returning an item.

When you put this all in perspective, this is really not about the price, description
authenticity or color... It is imo, strictly buyer's remorse....

Return shipping is on your buyer i'm sure she is aware of that. Re-list this
lovely scarf & it will find its rightful home..

Good luck to you & would suggest putting this buyer on your bbl list..

You don't need a second go round with a buyer like this

and most important, you too have a lovely day!!!

+1

Thank you all so much, Hotshot, noshoe, luv2run, and misskris! I really appreciate your posts. I sent the offer to accept the return this morning but have not yet heard back. I'll let you know when I hear something from her. I'm grateful for your help as always!

Thank you all so much, Hotshot, noshoe, luv2run, and misskris! I really appreciate your posts. I sent the offer to accept the return this morning but have not yet heard back. I'll let you know when I hear something from her. I'm grateful for your help as always!

Even though I state that I don't accept returns / all sales are final, I still add language to each listing that returns are not accepted if items don't fit or for color variation:

"Color may vary from monitor to monitor; returns are not accepted for reasons to do with color."

Unfortunately, even all the effort does not protect you from star dinging. If the buyer is angry the buyer is angry. I hope you have a reasonable buyer and they just base the feedback on the facts and service.

You gave her a very good price. Since the color came from the mfr she really should have done a minimal amount of research to make sure she knows what she is bidding on. It only takes a minute to do a quick Google image search