Work vs Day - Which is easier?

gazoo

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
I'm thinking of venturing into the Work size. I've yet to even see one IRL, but I've loved the photos I've seen posted here. My questions are, how does it stay on the shoulder? Is it as comfy for everyday wear as a Day? Is the bottom stiff or does it smoosh down into a puddle (which I love)? Is there easier access than in a Day?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated as I don't live near a Bal boutique; I need as much detail as possible before making the trek.

I find it's harder to wear Work over the shoulder, even if it does fit under my arm, one handle is usually falling off. It's easier to organize and access to things in Work (in my opinion) and with stuff inside, the bottom will smoosh down eventually. Day stays perfectly over shoulder, however it is taller, so when you reach for things inside, you might need to dig deeper.

I like the way a Day looks on my shoulder and I find that it's pretty comfortable but I just can never find my stuff inside! I sold most of mine because of this reason.

I love my Works and I prefer to wear them on my shoulder with no problem.

I like the way a Day looks on my shoulder and I find that it's pretty comfortable but I just can never find my stuff inside! I sold most of mine because of this reason.

I love my Works and I prefer to wear them on my shoulder with no problem.

Completely agree with this. I only have 1 day and it does get annoying trying to dig for things. The Work style is my favorite.

I have both, the Day is great when you know you'll have your hands full and want a bag you don't have to *think* about - but it's a pain to find stuff easily inside - it's like one of those Black Holes! I prefer the Work - so much easier to find what I am looking for. It fits easily over my shoulder, even with a coat - and I love the way the bottom of the bag slouches into a smooshy puddle. Work, IMO, is the Best. Bal bag.EVAH!

I was asking myself the same question!
Especially with the handles, I have rgh parttime and it does not fit over my shoulder (without a coat). But are the handles of a work really much larger?
And the work is bigger then a day right? So I think you have to dig with both of them?

I want that smooshy puddle bottom, but the Works I've seen with feet look so rigid. Granted they are new and in photos only. I've yet to actually touch one.

All of this helps greatly guys!! Thank you! Please keep the opinions coming...

I haven't had a work so I am unable to comment on those...but the Day is a very comfy and 'useful' bag, but such a nightmare to find things at the bottom. I used to put my keys and phone in the outside pocket, and my wallet in the big inside pocket so at least I could find the essentials! Everything else goes to the big black hole!

I do not have a Work, but I do have a Day (and a City).

I think my only quibble with the Day is the length - like the RM Nikki, they both hit right at my hip, which sometimes I feel dwarfs me a little, but I am very short (I'm 5'2".) The length factor is what also ruled out the Velo - it ended in the vicinity of my bum-bum worn long.

However, I love the fact that the Day sits lower on my rib cage - if that makes sense. I find with the City and a lot of hobo cuts, if I wear the short handles on my shoulder, the zipper and all that is right at my underarm. Which is fine, but if you're running around, you don't want it to get sweaty. I love that the Day is that bit lower so it's not all up in my armpit and deoderant (to be indelicate ;)).

However, I love the Day for travelling - but I could see it being bothersome on the metro if you're standing. I would feel more secure with a Work on a subway, given it wouldn't be hanging as low if you had to hold on to a rail.

I've had many Days and quite a few Works. I love both, but if I could have only one Bal it would, without a doubt, be a Day. It is by far, the most comfortable, carefree bag I've ever carried. I have no trouble finding what I put in there, because I put all my little junks, bits and pieces into a MU, which is easily reachable. The only exception are my keys, and they are on a Coach key chain that includes a large fur ball, also easily accessible by touch.

I love the size and ease of stuffing a Work too. Getting in and seeing what is inside is much easier than the Day. It opens up wide and doesn't have the City "ears," to get in the way. I've only had 05s and 06s, so the handles are a bit smaller. I almost always carry them by the handles. As they age they do stretch a bit, and can go over my bare shoulder... The double handle is annoying on the shoulder, as the outside one is forever falling down. The bottom on the older bags will eventually sag, but it does have that stiff base in there, so it needs to be really well worn before it droops the way you (and I) really like. Only my most beat up Work had something close to a nice saggy bottom.

Sadly, there is no one perfect bag. That's partly why so many of us can't stop at one.

I'm sure you will love whichever you end up getting.. also sure you'll want the other. :heart:

Now I'm all confused again. I'd thought that this (pictured) was a Work brogues (and it's the one I am seriously lusting after down to color). But the bottom doesn't have feet. Is this because it is covered hardware? I *think* the one pictured should have a soft bottom but I'm not so sure anymore. I really really want a "puddle" of a bag. My Day is a complete puddle of love.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 245
The one pictured is a Giant Covered Hardware Weekender. The giant covered line does not come with feet due to the nature of the covered hardware. Also, this Giant Sized Hardware has been discontinued and I do not think that the Weekender size will be available in the brogues range. (Brogues have a smaller sized covered hardware)