Workplace Wonderlic Test

CelticLuv

♥ CL Shoe Addict ♥
O.G.
Jun 18, 2009
I had a great phone interview (my 2nd after the HR recruiting talk) last week for an IT Systems Analyst backup/recovery position. We'll be setting up a time this week for a face to face interview (with a panel of 7 workers!) And I was informed id have to take the Wonderlic test. This is the first time I've heard of this test, other than what the NFL players take.

I was hoping you guys/gals can help me out with test. Is it field specific? Have any of you ever taken it? If so, your impressions and which practice tests helped you out the most.
Any and all information I appreciate!

Thank you!

It has nothing to do with a specific field. You will have to answer 50 questions in 12 minutes and it tests your cognitive ability to process information quickly. I believe NFL players take it offers an indication of how quick their reflexes are.

I have taken it and I did really well, but I am also really good with math and numbers and that definitely is an asset for this test.

I don't think it's field specific. I took it and it was for an Operations Management position for an Investment Banking firm. EllAva is correct: it is a timed test and if you are good with numbers then it should be okay- it's pretty fun actually. It reminded me of a typical IQ test and I remember it having to deal with a lot of shapes, too. You can google some sample questions, but I really don't think it's one of those things you can practice for.

I haven't taken this particular one, but I have taken some personality/cognitive ability tests in the past.

I personally think they're great (even though they're time consuming and looking at the screen and puzzles for that long make you feel like your eyes will bleed) because for people like me who tend to be "characteristically cold" to people I don't know and clam up or get a nervous giggle in interviews, it seems to represent what I couldn't otherwise say about myself.

Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately I'm not good with numbers w/o a calculator (do the let you use one?) And word problems I always have to re-read several times so here's hoping!
I took several sample tests and I consistently got a score of 35 so that's good. Hopefully I keep that score or get higher on the real thing! :smile:

The Wonderlic seems like a weird test to give to a person going in for IT. Shouldn't they have determined if you are qualified by giving you technical questions?

Its for a top tier position with a lot of responsibility so I'm thinking they want to gauge my intelligence and ability to handle and solve problems with the wonderlic test.

I've already had 2 phone interviews where the last one was with the manager who did go over some of my technical skills. My actual face to face interview is 2 hrs long with a panel of 7 people so I'm sure they'll go over many technical questions then too :lol: very nerve-wracking!

Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to work.

What would make you say that? :confused1: just because its a panel of 7 interviewing me? In my field, its usually at least a panel of 5 that will interview you (that's how many we have interviewing new prospects @ my current job).
Its a great company and a great position, better pay but of course more work :lol:

i have taken the wonderlic test, and it's not too bad. it's like a watered down IQ test. i'm not very good with numbers, but the math wasn't too difficult. you don't get a calculator, but they won't ask you to solve complicated equations or anything. they also test vocab/grammar and spatial reasoning.

there is no way to really study for it, but remember that it's not about getting all the questions right. it's a rough estimate of cognitive ability, so the average score is around 25, and you are unlikely to get above 40 unless you are a genius.

i do have one tip: be ready to scrap a question if it will take too long to answer. you only have 12 minutes to finish the test, so don't waste two or three minutes trying to answer a question that you think you will probably get wrong -- instead, scrap it and move on so you can get the other questions right (and actually get to the other questions). in other words, if you see a question that will take you a long time to solve (for example, some of the math questions require some tedious -- but not difficult -- calculations) just pick any answer and don't think about it.

remember "genius" level is 40+ so you can get more than 10 questions wrong and still be considered nicely above average.

Ronnieteacher said:
Testing can create risks: pre- and post-hiring testing strategies are not always correct. The ADA has several provisions and as I write my essay for me on this topic. But I need a list of agencies that use this tool (which address appropriateness of Wonderlic tests under the Act directly).

Stats: 172 companies are using the Wonderlic software for pre-employment. This number is quite impressive. But I wonder who makes those sample Wonderlic test questions.