"Women should save more, spend less on designer shoes" - article

I didn't find the article to be all that offensive. I actually agree that shows like Sex in the City depict a lifestyle almost completely disconnected from reality, and there are a lot of people who aren't able to recognise the impracticalities associated with her (Carrie Bradshaw's) behaviour. She's never shown scouring the listings on eBay or looking in consignment shops, and really, at full price (or sale prices!) her vast designer shoe collection and wardrobe are financially unattainable for someone of her means. Not to mention the restaurants, high end coffee shops, and clubs/bars she's shown to frequent. Forget about not having a down payment for her apartment, a real person with her job and her expenses would have been out on the street by the end of Season One! I think the problem here is how attainable these luxury items are shown to be, as though they're completely normal items in a woman's wardrobe. It's easy for people - especially those who are just beginning to come into their own financially - to get the idea that these expenses are reasonable for them. **Anyone watch Covert Affairs? No one with a starting CIA salary can reasonably own a dozen pairs of full priced CL's! But she's never shown shopping on eBay either :smile:

What was bothersome to me about the article, was the idea that there's a 'pressure to spend.' What Means Girls neighbourhood is the author living in? We're grown ups, if we buy something, it's because we damn well want it, not because men are looking at us or competitive women are sneering at us. Sheesh!

shows like Sex in the City depict a lifestyle almost completely disconnected from reality, and there are a lot of people who aren't able to recognise the impracticalities associated with her (Carrie Bradshaw's) behaviour.

I remember a TV interview with Patricia Field (the stylist) and when she was asked about this.. her answer was something like "this is TV.. it's not meant to be real".

You never saw any of the 4 wearing the same outfit twice (and Pat also said in her interview that "no repeats" was intentional)... so although styling is not an easy job, it probably got a little easier after the show blew up because now she probably had designers sending boxes and boxes of stuff just begging to be worn on the show.

TV and awesome eye candy... but fashion-wise that's all...Was never meant to be a show about "How a freelance writer living in a studio apartment can afford designer shoes and clothes"

In fact, of the 4.. Miranda and Samantha are the 2 characters who could most likely afford what they were wearing on their own and without the help of a partner/spouse/boyfriend. One a lawyer and the other the owner of her own PR firm.

I think the writer tarred all women who wear designer shoes with the same brush. I think savings and being able to afford the necessities in life should always be a priority, however I see nothing wrong with a young girl starting out her career or in college saving her spare cash and choosing to splurge on a item, as opposed to buying multiple inexpensive items.

While many people live beyond there means, I try not to judge or assume how one obtains their possessions.

I kind of agree with the article in that I don't believe in buying luxuries, like designer shoes, on credit. I don't think the article assumes that everyone with designer shoes buys them on credit. There's noting wrong with using your extra spending money on designer shoes as long as your budget is balanced (including money towards savings!).

However, I know a lot of ladies would disagree with me, but I do think its wasteful to have hundreds of pairs of shoes (no disrespect intended to anyone!). I believe you should only have as many shoes as you can reasonably wear, and you don't need a different pair of shoes with every outfit- be creative! I love the fashion blogs where you see stylish ladies rewearing the same shoes with many different outfits. I mean I understand having a few pairs of shoes that are kind of like collectors items that you barely wear but I don't believe in mindless consumerism which is bad for the environment.

I do find that offensive and am annoyed that the writer claims we are probably all choosing to purchase shoes etc instead of paying off our student debt.

Obviously this writer lives in America and has a very limited view of the world; In many countries, University isn't nearly as expensive as it is in America.
So therefore not everyone is paying off massive debt.

The writer also has the idea that everyone just out of University works some low paying job and can't afford this or that on top of all their "debt"

I think this writer needs to wake up to reality.
It may be true that he struggled financially as a 20-something.. it doesn't mean we all do.

It also really annoyed me that he seems to think every fashionista has a closet like Carrie Bradshaw (or whatever her name is, I don't watch the programme)

It is possible to enjoy designer shoes, and not have 50 pair. I love shoes and probably have this many, but not every pair needs to be designer and not every pair was bought recently.In fact I have only a few designer pairs and love to mix and match.. I don't need a pair for every single outfit.

I also have a job that enables me to pay my expenses (including those related to Uni) and have enough left over for savings and luxury purchases every now and then.

I really wish people, like this author would stop assuming that everyone must live exactly as he did and that anyone who buys luxuries cannot afford it because he could not.

I think this writer is extremely ignorant and also a bit jealous.

That article is a complete generalization-because there ARE women out there like that, but the majority of us aren't. And I hate the guilt I get from my friends and other people in my life, like I have to lie about how much I spend because they think it's foolish even though I can afford it. I don't buy to look successful-I'd rather buy 2 pairs of expensive, good quality shoes that will last me for years than 8 cheap pairs that will hurt my feet and last a season.

It really is all about balance and keeping yourself and your money in check. As long as you have your head on straight, why not treat yourself once in a while? It was unfair that the writer grouped the responsible with the irresponsible.

MeganFM, I totally know what you mean about having some friends and family shake their finger at you when you treat yourself...which is why, I'm mum about the subject when it comes to a few people. They say "great shoes", I just say "Thanks" and smile.

I think it's insulting to generalize. Those of us who indulge wisely shouldn't be lumped in with those who don't. I get extra annoyed when women are usually the ones being chastised while the men out there who waste their cash on gadgets, cars, whatever go largely uncounted except in a general sense.

I KNOW! the response i tend to use a lot is: there are tons of people who like to buy BMWs and Audi's, like to supe up their cars with bells and whistles or love to have expensive home entertainment systems. do they "need" it? no. Do they love it and enjoy it? YES. we all have our luxuries.

Writer probably wears ugly shoes.
:roflmfao: :lolots:

However, some of the comments really got my gears a grindin':

I wear a full-face of makeup for dancing, casual dates, dinners, etc. I enjoy makeup, but I also don't make a habit of berating or complaining about my looks either. I certainly look better with makeup, but I can go out without it as well. However, I genuinely ENJOY putting on the slap - and if it were just about impressing men and getting appreciated for my sexuality, I'd be wearing the Kim K. look every damn day.

Makeup is fun and there are those of us that just like to dress up and look nice. That little polish makes us feel good in general, not because it's all about impressing men. Sadly it's women that are the harshest critics, especially in certain offices....hmm, I remember reading another article about that where even a dash of sex appeal to an outfit will cause other women in some offices to be nasty.

I didn't think there was anything offensive about it because the writer was just trying to warn women to not over spend. I do think the writer really needed to flesh out that article because it was pretty generic. However, I found many of the comments below to be sexist and offensive.

Yes, I agree the article was a warning but I guess it depends on how it translated to some. Though I definitely agree the comments that followed afterward were generalizing, sexist and offensive.

I think a lot of young women these days rely on rich men to buy them stuff... Obviously not myself, but I've seen quite a few... So most women in this category don't necessarily need to have a big bank account to have luxury items. I'd say at least 50% (maybe even 70-80%) of women who own designer goods are part of this population...

I know quite a few girls who do rely on boyfriends to buy them their luxury stuff. During university, I worked at Club Monaco part time and worked with this girl who was dating the manager of the bubble tea place in the mall. she shows up with a medium Chanel bag. Beautiful of course but wow.....the only thing i thought was "he sure had to make tons of bubble tea to get you that".

My boyfriend knows what I like but I've never asked him for anything or expect it. I'm used to buying the stuff for myself, so when he does surprise me, I am genuinely surprised and thankful.

There are a lot of people who aren't able to recognise the impracticalities associated with her (Carrie Bradshaw's) behaviour. She's never shown scouring the listings on eBay or looking in consignment shops, and really, at full price (or sale prices!) her vast designer shoe collection and wardrobe are financially unattainable for someone of her means. Not to mention the restaurants, high end coffee shops, and clubs/bars she's shown to frequent. Forget about not having a down payment for her apartment, a real person with her job and her expenses would have been out on the street by the end of Season One!

Definitely agree :smile: Hey it's TV. With heavy subjects like relationships, we needing something pretty to look at! Carrie's lifestyle is made for TV and completely unrealistic. I remember some other article on a blog that more or less "calculated" Carrie's expenses. It was a pretty big number and yes, she would have been out on the street.

We're grown ups, if we buy something, it's because we damn well want it, not because men are looking at us or competitive women are sneering at us. Sheesh!
DAMN RIGHT! :yes:

I think a lot of young women these days rely on rich men to buy them stuff... Obviously not myself, but I've seen quite a few... So most women in this category don't necessarily need to have a big bank account to have luxury items. I'd say at least 50% (maybe even 70-80%) of women who own designer goods are part of this population...

I'm just jealous that I'm not in this population. JK:P:lol:

I agree that some of the comments on the article were more offensive than the actual article itself. Especially the woman that made this comment -

Women who are self-assured and comfortable with who they are internally do not have to bother with the artificial trappings outside. We are comfortable in our lower cost clothing, hairdos, less make up, etc.

How ridiculous. I am actually very confident and self assured, and whether or not I choose to buy designer items has no bearing on this whatsoever. While I think there are women out there who buy things for the wrong reason, there are also women like me who buy designer items because we appreciate beauty, craftsmanship and quality. As mentioned on here, I'd rather have five pairs of Jimmy Choos than ten pairs of anything cheaper. Not only are they beautifully crafted, they will last for years and years and you can actually wear them for more than five minutes without getting blisters. And this can go for everything, not just shoes.

And I disagree with the fact that these things will not hold their value. If you keep things in good condition it is very possible to make a good amount of money when selling them on. And certain things will actually appreciate in value over the years.

I buy designer items to impress myself, no one else. None of my friends would recognise anything designer and a lot of what I wear is very low key, i.e. without logos, so unless you really know what you're looking at you wouldn't know what it was. I always find it funny when people ask where something is from.... like 'where is your leather jacket from?'. Do you say it's from Rick Owens? Or Net a Porter? haha. Usually I just say I got it online... Most people have no idea what they are looking at, so I'm hardly going to be impressing them am I!

^ITA :smile:

"Usually I just say I got it online... Most people have no idea what they are looking at, so I'm hardly going to be impressing them am I!" This is usually my response too! haha:biggrin:

i don't find this article insulting. Many people I know in my life charge their purchases to their credit cards and acrue this balance. Actually, even on this forum, when I ask "what should I buy" several members will seriously suggest buying one item with credit and the other item with any means I have. I do think it can be a competition and I do think sometimes we can get swarmed into buying things we don't need to buy. I'm totally guilty of it. I'm not in debt nor use credit cards but I def think i NEED things when I don't actually.

i don't find this article insulting. Many people I know in my life charge their purchases to their credit cards and acrue this balance. Actually, even on this forum, when I ask "what should I buy" several members will seriously suggest buying one item with credit and the other item with any means I have. I do think it can be a competition and I do think sometimes we can get swarmed into buying things we don't need to buy. I'm totally guilty of it. I'm not in debt nor use credit cards but I def think i NEED things when I don't actually.
I agree. I don't think the article is implying that there aren't women who can afford luxuries; it's just that the vast majority of people do in fact have student loans and relatively low paying jobs. There are the lawyers and execs but certainly they are the minority.

And even if Carrie's lifestyle is unrealistic I think it still has an effect on how women think about luxury items. It's fine to indulge once in a while but if one of my girlfriends were that way about shoes, I'd think she had a slight obsessive problem... The fact is that the show was made expressly to encourage consumerism - they emphasize shopping therapy over things like taking a walk or reading a book or any of the other cheap or free things we could do in our free time. It's a fun fantasy, but a very intentionally constructed one.

I think we should strike a happy medium. We all LOVE our shoes, I personally own 400 and counting...but they are a mix of designer, bridge, ebay finds, second & third markdownetc... If you are a savvy shopper, you can have your cake and eat it to! My diverse shoe collection spans years, I still have my very first pair of Charles Jourdan Pumps from the 70's!! If you shop smart, and buy shoes in varying price points, you can amass an amazing shoe collection, one of the tricks is to buy the designer shoes $500 + on more classic styles, and spend less of your precious $$$$ on the trendy styles. Once the trend is over, it won't be so difficult to say goodbye to a less expensive shoe....