will you buy from a seller who doesn't answer questions?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I was looking yesterday at a bag from a small seller on ebay.....several positive FBs but mostly as a buyer. I sent her a few polite questions almost 24 hours ago. Listing ends in two hours and she hasn't answered. I don't think I'll make an offer w/o the questions being answered but I guess if she doesn't sell it, I could ask again.
I don't understand people like this. I haven't sold that many items but when I get questions I'm more than happy to answer.

I've only bought two preowned bags on ebay and both had flaws that were not disclosed. Even for a good price, I want to know that a bag is in excellent condition. Don't want to buy someone's well-worn bag.

As a seller, I do answer most questions unless the answer has been explicitly stated on the advertisement. If a seller is purposely neglecting to answer questions that haven't been answered in the advertisement I will not buy from them. I was about to buy a Gucci purse but the seller purposely chose not to reply to certain aspects of the questions. Now that's shady!

It just isn't what it used to be, so much erosion of trust for buyers and sellers. For me, a non-responsive seller pre-sale is probably a non-responsive seller post-sale too. As a buyer, you're in the driver seat. I'd move on and not think of it again. Good luck!

I give sellers 48-72 hours. Not everyone is a professional reseller and glued to their account 24/7. Especially over weekends.
Also Ebay can be glitchy. One time I sold 2 items and never received notice from either Ebay or PP. If I hadn't happened to check that account I would have been in deep doodoo.[/QUOTE
sale (not auction) BIN or make offer - ends in about two hours.....maybe she'll check at end

Reactions: Jules626
I give sellers 48-72 hours. Not everyone is a professional reseller and glued to their account 24/7. Especially over weekends.
Also Ebay can be glitchy. One time I sold 2 items and never received notice from either Ebay or PP. If I hadn't happened to check that account I would have been in deep doodoo.
listing ended apparently w/o a sale....she never responded to me

You contacted your seller on a Sunday.Many sellers take the weekend off for a variety of reasons
but would expect a seller to respond to a question .
One has to decide what is a reasonable amount of time. Tend to agree that 24 - 48 hours seems
to be an appropriate but who knows.
In this case the listing has now ended & she didn't respond.. Think I'd move on...

I answer all questions even if the information is in the listing. Then I look at my listing to see how it could be improved. I've noticed that not everybody sees the measurements when they are listed in the item specifics so it helps to put them in the description as well.

I put a ton of effort into writing excellent, clear advertisements and it's infuriating when a customer does not have the decency to read the advertisement I've spent so much time writing. It wastes my time and theirs.

I put a ton of effort into writing excellent, clear advertisements and it's infuriating when a customer does not have the decency to read the advertisement I've spent so much time writing. It wastes my time and theirs.
I do tend to reply with "As detailed in the listing text" and then copy and paste whatever is relevant.

However, I do have to say that the number of questions per item has declined drastically over the years. It seems the art of dialogue has died (or sellers are terrified of entering into communication lest their communication star gets dinged).

As for whether or not I would buy, it would all depend on what question(s) I had needed to ask in all honesty.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
In this case description said (in quotes) "no visible defects"
I asked her to elaborate on condition. Maybe this is equivalent to "like-new" or "excellent" but I'd like to see something to indicate the seller has inspected carefully and found no marks, stains, scratches (or has found one small one, or a bit of corner wear or whatever)
I also asked if she was the original owner as this is something I've see a lot with smaller sellers - not that it's crucial.

I don't look at ebay that often but this last couple of days looking, it seems a lot of the descriptions are pretty brief

In this case description said (in quotes) "no visible defects"
I asked her to elaborate on condition. Maybe this is equivalent to "like-new" or "excellent" but I'd like to see something to indicate the seller has inspected carefully and found no marks, stains, scratches (or has found one small one, or a bit of corner wear or whatever)
I also asked if she was the original owner as this is something I've see a lot with smaller sellers - not that it's crucial.

I don't look at ebay that often but this last couple of days looking, it seems a lot of the descriptions are pretty brief
I would assume 'no visible defects' would mean it is in like new or excellent condition. I don't like to be asked if I'm the original owner. That shouldn't matter. However, a seller that doesn't respond to questions doesn't get my business. They won't be responsive if I have a problem after the purchase.