Will the Sex and the City movie world premiere take place in London and not New York?

Apr 26, 2006
found this on Catwalkqueen.tv:

While I admit I'd have no hesitation in be ringing every PR in town to blag tickets, before eventually resorting to scrambling over crowd barriers at the première, probably held at Leicester Square, it just doesn't seem right to me. Sex and City is New York. It was born in New York, found success in New York and continues to reflect the lives and loves of New Yorkers a decade on. But fresh rumours are circulating that the new SATC movie world première is being scheduled for London and not the Big Apple. My only question is why?

According to LA Times Dish Rag columnist Elizabeth Snead, the issue regarding where to host the première is based on where its leading ladies will be at the time. Whispers that it might take place at Cannes Film Festival have finally been denied, but New York is not out of the running completely.

"We are still trying to figure this all out, " an inside source said. "It changes from day-to-day. And it just depends on where everyone is going to be. There are way too many cooks in the kitchen right now."

A SATC movie press junket will take place 2nd-4th May in New York, with talks of holding the New York première following the one in London.

With the event date slated for the 12th May, you would think they'd have all this sorted by now, wouldn't you? Either that or it is just even more publicity, like it is needed!

there's definitely a premiere in new york, but maybe it's not THE premiere. my friend tried to get tickets but they were all sold out. aren't there usually several premieres in several cities for any movie anyways? who knows. doesn't really matter. i am so going to the midnight show no matter what.

there's definitely a premiere in new york, but maybe it's not THE premiere. my friend tried to get tickets but they were all sold out. aren't there usually several premieres in several cities for any movie anyways? who knows. doesn't really matter. i am so going to the midnight show no matter what.

there are often multiple premieres. One for US market, One for UK market, one for Euro market, one for Asia market, etc., Promoting a film can take longer than making it, and often overseas premieres are months after the US premiere.

My friend is going to something for it in LA, but I sort of zone out when she starts in on SATC:shame:

It seems that the marketing folks over at New Line Cinemas weren't kidding when they mentioned London as a potential location to host the world première of the Sex and the City movie. Now that Cannes is no longer, London is reportedly shaping up to be quite a solid contender for the job, much to the dismay of many a New Yorker.

Not only is the British capital looking like an ideal spot to hold the glamorous event, new reports suggest that the SATC movie will actually première during the opening week of Cannes Film Festival, making it a nightmare for designers who were banking on seeing their gowns traipse the Cannes red carpet on the backs of Carrie and co.

"It's really painful that the 'Sex' girls won't be on the red carpet at Cannes. Every designer was hoping to get a gown on that carpet and many actresses already had their dresses lined up, just in case," a fashion insider told The LA Times' Elizabeth Snead.

But for many of us still confused over why London has scored the privilege over Cannes, one WB insider told Snead: "One word: recession." With a weakened US dollar, American movie studios are re-evaluating what a red carpet do will cost in London as oppose to a lavish Euro event in France.

While us Londoners quietly consider the excitement and buzz that would surround the film kicking off in London (SJP - let me know if you need a tour guide!) I can't help but ask again... why not New York?