Home & Garden Will I Get My Dream House?

A couple of updates. Seller finally dropped price, but only around 3%. Meanwhile, the new property tax assessments will be out in late May. This is the big one and people are already talking about it. They can pretty much raise your taxes as much as they want and they will. They are also talking about huge increases to the state taxes. All of this is impacting property values here. They are way down, especially in really expensive homes. Also, there has been some concern about new airport runway shifts in my area and people are complaining about noise. So I am trying to research that. I don't want a nasty surprise. I have contacts in the area I am discussing it with and they are trying to help me figure it all out.

A couple of updates. Seller finally dropped price, but only around 3%. Meanwhile, the new property tax assessments will be out in late May. This is the big one and people are already talking about it. They can pretty much raise your taxes as much as they want and they will. They are also talking about huge increases to the state taxes. All of this is impacting property values here. They are way down, especially in really expensive homes. Also, there has been some concern about new airport runway shifts in youmy area and people are complaining about noise. So I am trying to research that. I don't want a nasty surprise. I have contacts in the area I am discussing it with and they are trying to help me figure it all out.
you're smart to do research
when we found our house we were so excited to find a home with an acre that we on sewer. most large properties here are on septic and the leach fields get in the way of using the land. so we jumped on it. didn't think to ask who owned the open land nearby. found out a few months after we bought that there is proposed development right next to our nice country acre.

Reactions: Allisonfaye
So I went and sat out in front of the house one night and listen to planes and it didn't seem any worse than my current neighborhood. I went over one day and since it was a nice day, neighbors were out walking and I asked about 3 groups of people who all said they don't even notice it. So I am comfortable with that.

The house has been on the market a year in early May with only the one price drop. It's still about 20% overpriced. I am waiting for some financial stuff to be resolved which, hopefully will happen May 1. Deciding if we are going it with our best and final offer. I think we will. Houses in my neighborhood have gone down substantially in value as well so it's going to be a bitter pill on the sale as we will take a loss for sure.

Reactions: jennlt
So I went and sat out in front of the house one night and listen to planes and it didn't seem any worse than my current neighborhood. I went over one day and since it was a nice day, neighbors were out walking and I asked about 3 groups of people who all said they don't even notice it. So I am comfortable with that.

The house has been on the market a year in early May with only the one price drop. It's still about 20% overpriced. I am waiting for some financial stuff to be resolved which, hopefully will happen May 1. Deciding if we are going it with our best and final offer. I think we will. Houses in my neighborhood have gone down substantially in value as well so it's going to be a bitter pill on the sale as we will take a loss for sure.
you are really determined
too bad you don't have a crystal ball....it's possible you could pay more than you want and still come out ahead if the market goes up.
GL

you are really determined
too bad you don't have a crystal ball....it's possible you could pay more than you want and still come out ahead if the market goes up.
GL

Yeah, as much as I would love to dream the market would go up, there is absolutely NO indication there is any reason for it to with the looming tax increases. New property tax assessments come out in May and my sources tell me these people are not living in this house full time so I can't imagine wanting to pay the big property taxes when when you aren't even living there full time and you have a ready buyer. Also, state income taxes are going to get a huge increase as well.

Key is not overpaying. But the fact is, I don't care if we lose a little bit of money on the new house. I just want to enjoy living there and not worry about it.

Reactions: etk123
Yeah, as much as I would love to dream the market would go up, there is absolutely NO indication there is any reason for it to with the looming tax increases. New property tax assessments come out in May and my sources tell me these people are not living in this house full time so I can't imagine wanting to pay the big property taxes when when you aren't even living there full time and you have a ready buyer. Also, state income taxes are going to get a huge increase as well.

Key is not overpaying. But the fact is, I don't care if we lose a little bit of money on the new house. I just want to enjoy living there and not worry about it.
If you stay in it long enough it would have to go up in value, right?

well then, I guess you shouldn't pay too much
you like this better than your home because it has more land?

Has more land, good floor plan, my taste...one more bedroom which would be nice...the whole package. There are only a few things on my list it doesn't have.....a walk in pantry and a little computer room like an office but with a counter and seating so you can work there.

Has more land, good floor plan, my taste...one more bedroom which would be nice...the whole package. There are only a few things on my list it doesn't have.....a walk in pantry and a little computer room like an office but with a counter and seating so you can work there.
we moved to a house with a littler over an acre.....it's a lot of work to keep up with the weeds
house is good for the two of us - office, master BR and guest room. didn't get my pantry - overstock and laundry in garage

Reactions: Allisonfaye
we moved to a house with a littler over an acre.....it's a lot of work to keep up with the weeds
house is good for the two of us - office, master BR and guest room. didn't get my pantry - overstock and laundry in garage

It's not a huge lot. It's just under 1/2 acre. Enough that I can plant a garden and won't be seeing into my neighbor's house nor they mine.

So I am waiting for a couple of things to happen but the new property tax assessments came out for an adjacent area and they are way high as expected. Ours come out May 25 so I might hold off. I want to see if I can get it down. It's pretty easy for me to get mine down because our houses are all similar but in that neighborhood there is a range of older homes, different sized lots, etc so it will be harder to find comps to get it reduced. I want to see how much they jack it up.

So the assessments came out. They didn't jack the new house's assessment up too much but I don't have a lot of comps to get it reduced. Meanwhile, they jacked mine up about 25% and I can get that down because there are tons of comps in my neighborhood to use.

Still waiting for some stuff at my husband's work to finish up so we can sell stock and make our offer. Then I am out. I said at the beginning this house would sit on the market forever and it is looking like I am right.

So the assessments came out. They didn't jack the new house's assessment up too much but I don't have a lot of comps to get it reduced. Meanwhile, they jacked mine up about 25% and I can get that down because there are tons of comps in my neighborhood to use.

Still waiting for some stuff at my husband's work to finish up so we can sell stock and make our offer. Then I am out. I said at the beginning this house would sit on the market forever and it is looking like I am right.
so if you're potentially selling your house, you'd want it to be higher, would you not?
are you selling stocks before or after you have an accepted offer? assume they aren't in a taxable account?
GL