Why so many Birkins available on the resale market?

I suppose that’s one way of looking at it, but for those of us who like to sell our designer things when we want to, we’re glad others feel differently. Also, what do you suppose keeps the value of all our boutique-bought B/K/C bags so high? Yes, that’s right, the fact that the bags have a resale value and those high reseller prices. Unlike many bags, Birkins and Kellys do not lose value the moment they leave the store. One reason for that is the strong secondary market for them.

Also keep in mind that there are actually those of us who don’t consider shopping at an H boutique “playing games.” Some of us actually enjoy owning Hermes products across the range, not just B/K/C. My SA is a tremendous resource and time-saver for me. I have never considered my SA to be an adversary or someone I play games with.

I don't care about the value once I purchase a bag. I don't sell my H bags and do not intend to ever. I will pass them on to my relatives, and I can happily do that before I die if I get bored of them. I don't think it is only the resale market that keeps the value high. Cars depreciate once you purchase them, but high end brands remain high end because of brand recognition and people's perception of the product. Likewise, to me, an H bag stands for heritage and exceptional quality.

I have had a not great experience with SAs at my home boutique, and felt they were stringing me along. I guess I could have kept on going, but why bother when I regularly go to Europe anyways, sometimes for business trips, sometimes for pleasure. Paris is always a good idea, as the saying goes.

I don't care about the value once I purchase a bag. I don't sell my H bags and do not intend to ever. I will pass them on to my relatives, and I can happily do that before I die if I get bored of them. I don't think it is only the resale market that keeps the value high. Cars depreciate once you purchase them, but high end brands remain high end because of brand recognition and people's perception of the product. Likewise, to me, an H bag stands for heritage and exceptional quality.

I have had a not great experience with SAs at my home boutique, and felt they were stringing me along. I guess I could have kept on going, but why bother when I regularly go to Europe anyways, sometimes for business trips, sometimes for pleasure. Paris is always a good idea, as the saying goes.

Hmm. Maybe. But luxury cars are famous for not holding their value well. The vehicles that hold their value most are actually trucks. Whether or not you will sell your bags is not the point, it’s that the opportunity exists, and that makes H more valuable than a bag that cannot be sold or can only be sold for a small fraction of its value.

Nevertheless, as far as resale purses or any goods in general—Imagine having a car that you could not sell or a house, or a boat or that jewelry could never be sold/auctioned. That art could not be resold or sporting equipment, or any other commodity. No Salvation Army or Goodwill stores, no 1st Dibs, no Christie’s, no Sotheby‘s, no thrift shops—resellers all—and all to insure what, that only the first retailer is ever allowed to make a profit on an item?? Lol! Imagine having to keep forever every single item one ever bought. It’s a little ridiculous to contemplate.

Last edited:
I’m considering buying my first Kelly and other then cuff links or some of the small fashion jewelry items there is nothing else that interests me. I also live in a city with a very limited amount of Kelly’s or Birkin’s offered each year, I have no issue going the resale market and paying more simply to get the option I want, instead of having to accept the limited options offered to me. I’m sure many people feel the same way? So I’m happy there are resell options available, however the amount of brand new Birkins on 1st Dibs buy one seller does concern me? I don’t see how they are in the possession of 15 plus new Birkin’s?

Reactions: L etoile
I’m considering buying my first Kelly and other then cuff links or some of the small fashion jewelry items there is nothing else that interests me. I also live in a city with a very limited amount of Kelly’s or Birkin’s offered each year, I have no issue going the resale market and paying more simply to get the option I want, instead of having to accept the limited options offered to me. I’m sure many people feel the same way? So I’m happy there are resell options available, however the amount of brand new Birkins on 1st Dibs buy one seller does concern me? I don’t see how they are in the possession of 15 plus new Birkin’s?

One of the other reasons why I would never purchase from a reseller is that it may be fake. We know resellers have all had their share of fakes coming through. Also, I would never trust a site like 1ST Dibs, they seem like an Ebay, a marketplace with little controls in place. I know that there are "authentication" services, but they can make mistakes as well, and how we would know to trust them in the first place, it's not like there's some certificate that authorizes an authenticator! I know I would never be able to rest easy if I went the reseller route, so getting it straight from the boutique is 100% worth the extra effort.

One of the other reasons why I would never purchase from a reseller is that it may be fake. We know resellers have all had their share of fakes coming through. Also, I would never trust a site like 1ST Dibs, they seem like an Ebay, a marketplace with little controls in place. I know that there are "authentication" services, but they can make mistakes as well, and how we would know to trust them in the first place, it's not like there's some certificate that authorizes an authenticator! I know I would never be able to rest easy if I went the reseller route, so getting it straight from the boutique is 100% worth the extra effort.
I agree with you and have yet to buy a bag from a reseller. But if I absolutely had to have a bag like malachite or some other subtle but pretty much exclusive Hermes color and I couldn't shake down a boutique (even Paris) for it I would buy from a reseller. Life is too short to pine away for an accessory.

I agree with you and have yet to buy a bag from a reseller. But if I absolutely had to have a bag like malachite or some other subtle but pretty much exclusive Hermes color and I couldn't shake down a boutique (even Paris) for it I would buy from a reseller. Life is too short to pine away for an accessory.

For me, if I don't get what I want from Paris, I just forget about it. I don't pine, it just wasn't meant to be.

From what I know, there are rumours that some SA in south of France(a very famous city) actually work with her own reseller groups and profiteering from this business. The SA will hire local ppl or her relatives, anyone that have been working with her for a long time to the boutique and make some pre-purchase and when the right "time" comes she asks these ppl come to the boutique and make some extra purchase along with the quota bags. Of course since the number of bags she can sell are limited per month, those ppl will make the purchase from her colleagues as well and since she only takes CASH as tips, so there will be consequence.

Last edited:
From what I know, there are rumours that some SA in south of France(a very famous city) actually work with her own resellers groups and profiteering from this business. The SA will hire local ppl or her relatives, anyone that have been working with her for a long time to the boutique and make some pre-purchase and when the right "time" comes she asks these ppl come to the boutique and make some extra purchase along with the coveted bags. Of course since the number of bags she can sell are limited per month, the ppl will make the purchase from her colleagues as well and since she only takes CASH as tips, so there will be no trace to be found in the end.

I know for a matter of fact, and I've seen the evidence as well, that this is occurring a bit everywhere. I shop mainly in two countries, and I've seen much: SA's who would offer quota bags to costumers out of the blue, just because they would tip them big in Cash or SA's who would sell you more that two bags a year, by putting them on different profiles...

This summer I was having lunch with some friends of mine, and there happened to be the gentlemen, a friend of a friend, who's a fashion buyer. He told us, that he tips big in cash an SA, who works in a boutique I no longer shop anymore after finding out, and then resells them brand new to his clients.

I was very angry when he told me, especially because I know that particular SA, but like her, there's many other who do the same in that boutique... It is not my duty to expose anyone, yet be the cause for someone to loose their job in times like this, but I find it very disrespectful towards loyal costumers like me and others. At the end of the day, everyone is responsible for their actions and have to deal with their conscience.

I feel like the luxury markets in general have changed significantly since the second hand stores become a lot more accessible and acceptable. Back in the days it was expected you would not/ should not recycle clothes for money. In other words, without the second hand stores, those luxury items remain a true consumption goods, as supposed to be goods that could generate values after being used. So demands remained relatively small, and only amongst a certain group. But now, with a click of a button you could send your old bags out and new money comes in. As a result the luxury goods have become more of a commodity as supposed to be a true luxury consumption. So yeah, to answer your question: “ Are that many people selling their pre loved items? ”, there are, and they will continue to do so.
What’s also interesting is fact that the boutiques may be wanting a piece of this pie, which would help to address those reseller authenticity woes.

While I don't disagree with your opinion on buying from a reseller I will share my thoughts
I have been a H Kelly buyer for many years & for the most part there were no resellers back then
only the opportunity to buy directly from H.
Over the years from extremely knowledgeable & trustworthy resellers I have acquired other Kellys.
My bags are "always" authenticated & the resellers that I work with our honorable & I have yet to
have an issue.
What doesn't appeal to me is the "game" that H plays with clients. Spending a certain amount of money
to get a "bag" or to be offered a special order.
This is not the way it was years ago but I understand that the H market has changed.
The experience at H is extraordinary & not many store experiences can compare to Hermes..
We all have to find our fit but I would not hesitate to explore the reseller route ..

... What doesn't appeal to me is the "game" that H plays with clients. Spending a certain amount of money
to get a "bag" or to be offered a special order. ...
Whether there is a game to be played or not seems to differ. Maybe depending on in which store in which country you're shopping, or maybe the SA you're working with. Or whether the SA simply deems you worthy for some more or less arbitrary reason. Just sayin'.

I've been offered à la carte service, and I'm not sure why. My home store recently (re)opened, and I don't have a long history with the new store or any SA in there. It might've been that I clicked with my SA, or the fact that I carried a HAC, or I sometimes happen to look really stylish or give off a certain vibe (my SA asked if I was an artist). When new stores open they are supposedly given more SO slots as well as more inventory for a while. You just never know.

Last edited:
Whether there is a game to be played or not seems to differ. Maybe depending on in which store in which country you're shopping, or maybe the SA you're working with. Or whether the SA simply deems you worthy for some more or less arbitrary reason. Just sayin'.

I've been offered à la carte service, and I'm not sure why. My home store recently (re)opened, and I don't have a long history with the new store or any SA in there. It might've been that I clicked with my SA, or the fact that I carried a HAC, or I sometimes happen to look really stylish or give off a certain vibe (my SA asked if I was an artist). When new stores open they are supposedly given more SO slots as well as more inventory for a while. You just never know.

There is a very informative thread here on tPF " Maintaining a H relationship" which provides insight
for those wanting to buy a B/K/C & make no mistake it is a "game" if one wants to play...
Many of us are "worthy" in the true sense of the word however, it means something entirely different
at Hermes, just sayin'
I also think many European clients (traveling especially) are treated very differently then how they
can be treated here in the US

Last edited:
While I don't disagree with your opinion on buying from a reseller I will share my thoughts
I have been a H Kelly buyer for many years & for the most part there were no resellers back then
only the opportunity to buy directly from H.
Over the years from extremely knowledgeable & trustworthy resellers I have acquired other Kellys.
My bags are "always" authenticated & the resellers that I work with our honorable & I have yet to
have an issue.
What doesn't appeal to me is the "game" that H plays with clients. Spending a certain amount of money
to get a "bag" or to be offered a special order.
This is not the way it was years ago but I understand that the H market has changed.
The experience at H is extraordinary & not many store experiences can compare to Hermes..
We all have to find our fit but I would not hesitate to explore the reseller route ..

I don’t like the game either and refuse to play. I have been fortunate to get two Bs in Paris FSH. As you said, extraordinary experience. Just waiting for this pandemic to get under control so I can go back and try for a third! I personally would rather go through the appointment system than play the game at my home store.