Why Louis Vuitton chose this ranch south of Fort Worth for a factory

Rant: Job creation & the opportunity to take care of your family is not a partisan issue. Presidents & CEOs come & go while we the consumers are left. I think you can be a proud American whatever your opinion or political affiliation is. I’ve owned enough LV to know location of where your bag was made doesn’t matter either. The fact that we can sit & even complain about it actually highlights how blessed we are. Perspective is what I’ve gained from this. I’m guilty of being so ignorant when it comes to working conditions & the pay of these workers. My hope is that there is upward mobility & great working conditions for those who choose or NEED to work there. I think we all need to take a deep breath, see what happens, or move on to the many other lux options if you don’t like the end product. Problem is we don’t give anything a chance anymore. Thing is I’m an action person. I’ll do more research & ask questions & go from there. Please do the same before you display outrage. I love the handbag community! Don’t let tribalism take the fun out of it.

Not sure if this was covered in your calculations, but Texas doesn't have a state income tax - so only federal taxes (and FICA) apply making the wages very reasonable for an entry level job. ****, I have a college degree and over 30 years of work experience and I'm currently making $16/hr at a job that requires skills - though I'm only working part time so that artificially depreciates my pay (I could earn much more if I was willing to work full time - and did when I worked FT)
Oops, I actually forgot about state income tax so that calculation doesn't include it. But thanks for pointing that out!

Reactions: MooMooVT
When I first saw $13 an hour I thought it seemed low, but the minimum wage in Texas is only $7.25 so actually it's probably pretty good for a job that doesn't require a college degree, trade school, or experience. It's much cheaper to live in this rural area in Texas than an urban area or many areas of the East and West Coast, plus no state income tax so have to keep all that in mind. We could be reading that LV has opened a factory in China, not that made in China is bad, but they definitely have different labor standards than the US.

When I first saw $13 an hour I thought it seemed low, but the minimum wage in Texas is only $7.25 so actually it's probably pretty good for a job that doesn't require a college degree, trade school, or experience. It's much cheaper to live in this rural area in Texas than an urban area or many areas of the East and West Coast, plus no state income tax so have to keep all that in mind. We could be reading that LV has opened a factory in China, not that made in China is bad, but they definitely have different labor standards than the US.
LOL they open a factory I can guarantee no one will be buying anymore

Reactions: DreamingBeauty
I've never been under the impression that people in the employ of manufacturing most designer clothes/accessories make a lot of money. People who sew Chanel jackets are as likely to own a Chanel jacket as someone who puts together Rolls Royces has a Rolls. Money flows to the designers and idea creators, not the worker bees. Just like architects and developers vs the manual laborers who build the skyscrapers and other buildings.

I just did some calculations to see how good $13/hr is there. For that I checked against home costs in Keene, TX.

$13/hr equates to 27,040/year‬ or 23,795.2/year after taxes (I used the 12% tax rate for that income bracket)

Google said the median home cost there is $161,900
A 30 year mortgage with 20% down, 3.650% interest rate, 0.8% yearly property tax, and $680 home insurance results in a monthly mortgage of $757 (used Zillow's calculator for this)

The above salary after tax is about 1982.93/month which is enough to cover the mortgage and probably enough to cover food/gas/bills as well (depending on how well someone budgets)

I did not take into account money that's taken for health insurance premiums, social security, car payments, retirement etc so the monthly amount is probably lower. Overall it seems like $13/hr is probably not that bad to be honest. It might not be quite enough for a single person but if a married couple in a household made this much each, then their combine income would probably provide for a comfortable living.

Disclaimer: The above %'s and info I just got from a quick Google search around Keene, TX so obviously it may not be accurate. I admit it's a very rough calculation and does not take into account everyone's situation in life or everyone's lifestyle habits. I'm only providing it because whether or not a salary is "good" is very relative to where someone lives.

I live in Texas and FYI $13/hr in not a living wage. You can't get a 30 year mortgage on a $161,900 home based on a $27K. Especially since a 20% down payment exceeds the yearly income. $13/hr is a good starting salary for a young person but not for anyone who has grown up responsibility

@uhpharm01 thanks, I liked the video. She was devoid of many personal feelings and simply presented the popular arguments for liking or disliking the TX plant. Then a few follow up facts and opinion. But I liked that she didn't have a strong obvious opinion that she was trying to force on you.

While I'm sure that the people in Keene, Texas have the same abilities and learning skills as those in California or France I won't be rushing to buy a TX made bag the first year. Yes, they will be trained. But like most companies I can imagine the workers will be like this :whut: when thrown out on the floor. And there will be large amounts of them like this :whut::whut::whut: and they won't be able to really help or guide each other. You would hope that there's a supervisor and quality control. However, from my own job experience, I have seen what happens on shifts staffed by all brand new hires. Sometimes the one in charge has no more training than the others. It's a hot mess.

lol I live in texas $7.25 is literally poverty in texas you cant afford nothing trust me