Why Louis Vuitton chose this ranch south of Fort Worth for a factory

The creation of US factories has nothing to do with evading French labor laws (which are indeed very strict). It’s all about serving the North American market as seamlessly as possible by cutting down on time and costs associated with exporting and importing finished products. The added bonus of a US factory in rural Texas? A huge tax incentive.

What's your opinion of this factory contributing to the US economy? I'm thinking all the profits are going straight back to LV.

Reactions: DrTr
I will not buy any bags that are not made in Paris france and I don't think anyone else should either. Louis Vuitton totes itself as French luxury brand.

This is a luxury purchase so I think literally any reason to not buy something is valid - this is a luxury hobby after all!

Not directed at you personally, just in general:

But I find it curious how Americans view European things sometimes. Don't want to get too off-topic, but let's just say that Europeans aren't automatically cooth and not every handbag maker in France is a Hermes artisan with 20 years of experience. Business is business... Talented (and not talented!) people are everywhere, and where the material comes from often doesn't match where bags are put together anyway. And honestly in a handbag the actual material is arguably more important. Surprisingly separate part of the business, material supply.

That said, I do prefer buying, when possible, from a brand's "home" - i.e. Coach bags from USA, Louis from France, etc. I wouldn't go out of my way for it at all, but it's a cool idea in my mind. I don't see it as a quality thing.

Now back to the topic at hand: I think it's interesting to get to see a newer location opening up, because often they'll only advertised already established factories/workshops past their growing pains. I'm curious to see if the community around it will warm up to them, and how it'll affect them practically. I don't think it's odd that they're hiring apprentices: They're in a small remote town, an established leather or handbag craftsman isn't going to uproot to move to a random small town, and nor should they need to. I *do* think it's curious that they don't at least have a transition plan (openly anyway), like say 40 instructor artisans for six months teaching them, or something like that.

If they're hiring young, honestly these people might be very detail oriented and learn to be excellent craftsman. Don't write off small town dedicated workforce. It's highly likely that at least some of them will be very committed.

Even I , a hardcore made in France lover gave in this year to a made in USA keepall with red trim and a black Fleur hobo as my most practical pieces. I don’t want to get used to, but an occasional piece it’s ok:smile:

All my handbags are MIF, I won’t buy anything from LV MIU - I’ve been buying LV for 20+ yrs
That’s my choice. I’ve never had an issue getting MIF, maybe that will change but for now it’s not an issue and it’s my preference.
As far as the new factory, I’m not from the US so I have no skin in the game. I am shocked at the pay, $13/hr is less than the minimum wage where I live.