Why Korea for Plastic Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJJ

Jul 28, 2011
The title says it all. Why do you guys want to go to Korea for plastic surgeries? The more I read the Korean plastic surgery-related websites, the more scared I am. I would like to learn why Korea is so popular among people who consider plastic surgeries. What do you know and what makes you consider Korea?

Thank you.

lol, why are you scared?

Korea is known for its plastic surgery, and being in Asia, consequently have a much higher volume of asian patients than American doctors. Also, the surgeons will have a better idea of what asian people consider beautiful. They "know" it rather than learn it from what they read in textbooks. Some procedures completely rely on this: Asian rhinoplasty, for example, is completely different from Caucasian rhinoplasty and involves implants rather than shaving the bridge down. There are also other procedures that are not commonly performed in the US, like revision eyelid surgery.

Being asian, I've gone to Korea for surgery and was very happy with my results. If my surgery was not ethnicity-related though, of course I'd rather stay home and go to an American doctor.

I am scared because it is very hard to know the truth.

I almost decided to have a revision surgery on my eyes with one doctor in Korea, who is supposed to be very skilled (after I had contacted many doctors in Korea). So I have been following and visitng all kinds of plastic surgery-related websties looking for some information about his patients everyday. It was very hard to find a real patient's story. Recently I found that when there is any negative review about him, it gets deleted right away. There was one persistent patient who would post his review again and again. It seems that even he couldn't persist forever because his review is gone now, though. But due to the combination of his persistency (for a while) and my everyday routine check, I could read some real story.

Anyway now I am considering having my revision surgery here in the US, if I still want to have it.

There are surgeons in the US who require their patients to sign a gag contract (Paul Nassif is one) as well. Patients who write a negative review will be sued. Good luck in choosing a surgeon!

FYI:
(Source:http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/12/117_101689.html)

Teens warned of plastic surgery risks

By Lee Hyo-sik

Around this time of the year, many female high-school seniors visit cosmetics surgery clinics in southern Seoul to improve their appearance before their transition into university the following spring.

Many university graduates also go under the knife during the three-month-long winter vacation, hoping that an improved look will help them find jobs and meet better partners in this increasingly appearance-oriented society.

But they should exercise a great deal of caution over possible post-operative side effects of plastic surgeries, the state-run consumer protection agency advised, saying clinics in the areas south of the Han River are the most frequent target of consumer complaints.

The Korea Consumer Agency (KCA) said Tuesday that the number of consumers who sought consultations with the agency jumped 20 percent from a year earlier to 3,641 from January to November this year.

Of them, 78 consumers filed complaints with KCA against their plastic surgeons, citing diverse undesirable side-effects.

Over the past three years, those who received blepharoplasty surgery, also known as double eye-lid plastic surgery, reported the most frequent side effects. The agency said 43 consumers reported harmful side effects from this procedure, followed by 39 after a nose job, 25 after facial reconstruction, 22 from liposuction and 15 from breast implants.

Extra care essential

``Not to mention female high-school and university students, it is not unusual these days for male students to get cosmetic surgery to upgrade their looks. But prior to the operation, they should do their research thoroughly,’’ said Kwon Nam, head of KCA’s medical affairs team. ``Patients should get surgery from licensed and highly-experienced surgeons even though it costs more. They should not be lured by clinics that offer procedures at extremely cheaper prices.’’

Prior to the operation, Kwon said, patients should notify surgeons of their medical records and take a photos of themselves.

``After the surgery, they should follow doctors’ instructions to minimize potential side effects. Above all, patients should not expect a complete transformation from the operation,’’ she said.

Those who suffer from cosmetic surgery-caused side effects need to document their symptoms and secure visual evidence in preparation for potential legal conflicts with cosmetic clinics, Kwon said.

``Patients should first call us at 02-3460-3000 to get advice from our staff about what to do,’’ she said.

KCA said consumers filed the most complaints against clinics located in southern Seoul, the area known as ``Korea’s cosmetic surgery hub.’’

By gender, 94 percent of the victims who suffered side-effects were women. Most of them were in their 20s and 30s.

Nearly 17 percent cited asymmetric figuration, with 8 percent complaining of scars and damaged nerves.

KCA said it asked the Fair Trade Commission to set guidelines to help resolve conflicts between patients and clinics.

``We will carry out a range of publicity activities to increase the awareness of side effects of cosmetic surgery among high school and university students,’’ Kwon said.

Here are the plastic surgery clinics with top complaints from article above

▲ Apgujeong, Seoul Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) ▲ granulator Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) ▲ BK Dongyang Plastic Surgery Clinic (Nonhyeon-) ▲ Wonjin Plastic Surgery (Seocho) ▲ Seoul won Plastic Surgery (Yeoksam-dong) ▲ Rapids en-Up Assembly (Samseong) ▲ The United Nations Children molding Surgery (Yeoksam-dong) ▲ Hee Moon Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) was followed.

jinju82 said:
Here are the plastic surgery clinics with top complaints from article above

▲ Apgujeong, Seoul Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) ▲ granulator Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) ▲ BK Dongyang Plastic Surgery Clinic (Nonhyeon-) ▲ Wonjin Plastic Surgery (Seocho) ▲ Seoul won Plastic Surgery (Yeoksam-dong) ▲ Rapids en-Up Assembly (Samseong) ▲ The United Nations Children molding Surgery (Yeoksam-dong) ▲ Hee Moon Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) was followed.

Wonjin was one of the places I plan to go for consult but after reading this I'm having 2nd thoughts...
One issue is that big clinics such as BK and Wonjin would obviously perform a lot more surgeries than smaller clinics so maybe the reason for the large number of complaints could be due to the fact they have a lot more clients?

Wonjin was one of the places I plan to go for consult but after reading this I'm having 2nd thoughts...
One issue is that big clinics such as BK and Wonjin would obviously perform a lot more surgeries than smaller clinics so maybe the reason for the large number of complaints could be due to the fact they have a lot more clients?
I agree. I finally decided on Wonjin but started to rethink it.

Actually, regardless, Wonjin is STILL one of the top among Korean locals. BK is for sure a NO

Loverrrly said:
I agree. I finally decided on Wonjin but started to rethink it.

Actually, regardless, Wonjin is STILL one of the top among Korean locals. BK is for sure a NO

What surgery are you getting?
Yeh BK is a no for me too.
Im also considering banobagi n Regen.. Do you know if they are popular with the locals?
Regen seems a lil overpriced tho

Status
Not open for further replies.