"Why don't you sell a bag to buy your own engagement ring?"

You work hard to make money so it's your business how you spend it! I work with a group of people who do the same thing and they sometimes make me feel uncomfortable when I come in with something new. I almost always lie and say it's old (after all if I bought it on Saturday and come into work with it on Monday, it is a few days old, right? :amuse:)

Anyway, buy what makes you happy, and enjoy it! ;)

don't let them get to you. they sound like my mom. She is really bad with money and paying bills on time so when i told her about my first lv bag she immediately said, "do you know how many bills i can pay with that?" my response was just that my husband and i aren't behind on our bills so its okay... you have absolutely nothing to prove to those people. Just watch the look on their faces when you show up to work one day with your lv bag (that you didn't sell) and a new engagement ring! :d

+1

Thank you everyone for your replies and encouragement!

I am definitely trying not to let this kinda stuff get to me, I'm just not used to it since I just got into LV earlier this year. Before that it was Michael Kors so no one really said much about my bags. It's sad that my coworkers feel the need to go out of their way to look up how much my LVs cost, etc.

For clarification: I'm not bothered so much that J copies me... what bothers me about it is that she bashes everything I like and tells me I'm ridiculous for spending money on that stuff... then she turns around and shows up with the same stuff!

Another thing is that I am not desperate to get an engagement ring, which is why the "sell your bag to get a ring" comment annoyed me. BF and I have talked about it many times and I know that the engagement will happen when he and I are both ready for it.

I want a new job so bad, not just for these reasons but a lot of other things as well. I have been looking for something that will suit my schedule for a few months now... hopefully the right job will come along in due time.

In the meantime, thank you everyone again for your replies and understanding! I appreciate it!

I can relate and understand. People just love to comment. I usually just feel like they're envious. Not that they necessarily want what I have, but more that they're just unhappy so they try to drag me down with them.

I'm not trying to start anything (and I am normally not one to say anything), but this bothered me and seems kind of mean to pick out things you hated. Of course I don't know the girl or the situation, but to me, it seems as though she valued your opinion and wanted to impress you. I have plenty of friends who have a hard time picking out things or knowing what looks good on them, and they frequently ask me to help them pick things out. I love doing it, and I love making my friends or anyone else feel great about themselves.

Next, (and I'm not directing this at OP or LVLoveAffair this is more something I have heard from my own friends lately) but I just don't understand the "anger" behind someone "copying" the things we buy. This is flattery more than anything else. I understand it can be annoying if someone constantly does it, I guess? But come on. These people obviously look up to you and want to impress you when they "copy" the things you buy. I'm always happy to tell someone where I got something when they love it. Why would I keep that to myself? It just means I'm a trendsetter with good style haha, and I'm more than happy to share it. Now if they are rude about it and then show up with it the next day, that's a different story.

The biggest annoyance I agree about with everyone here is when people ask how much things cost. How nosy and rude!! It makes me so uncomfortable.

This particular girl was really rude and I never let on how much I disliked her or her actions. I had to sit right near her so we all (our little group) basically "got along" as best as we could. We would even eat lunch together. I never let on that I hated all the stuff she would end up buying-LOL! It may be "mean" but it wasn't as mean as she was to most of the people that she met on a daily basis. I don't mind a nice copycat at all. But sometimes people are really spiteful and try to show up others. I'm glad no one was into LV at that time--we all carried Coach. I can't even imagine the cattiness!

This particular girl was really rude and I never let on how much I disliked her or her actions. I had to sit right near her so we all (our little group) basically "got along" as best as we could. We would even eat lunch together. I never let on that I hated all the stuff she would end up buying-LOL! It may be "mean" but it wasn't as mean as she was to most of the people that she met on a daily basis. I don't mind a nice copycat at all. But sometimes people are really spiteful and try to show up others. I'm glad no one was into LV at that time--we all carried Coach. I can't even imagine the cattiness!

Well if she was like that then I probably would've done the same thing ;). I can't stand cattiness or people making rude comments on my stuff or even someone else's stuff!

Firstly, I'm sure it was a load off to put down your thoughts here. Some people just don't have the tools to think(meaning the people at your work). I hear what you're saying when you mention how you budget and what you choose to spend money on when in essence you all seem to be on equal pay. I remember when I was 28 and bought a condo, my coworkers couldn't understand how I saved the money for it and could afford the mortgage by myself. That day we had a talk...I asked him what do you spend your money on? And I added, all that adds up...think if you cut back on all that, you too would have a down payment and afford a mortgage (I agree with your bf here on buying instead of renting). And honestly, he said he never thought of it that way. Might be as simple as people doubting themselves. That coworker ended up buying his own condo few years later. If anything, maybe one day your words (or actions) will empower someone else to think differently. In the meantime, do your own thing.

^ This is a great sentiment!

1) I'm so glad you could vent/share in this safe environment :smile: I Hope you are finding encouragement and solace among the LVers here.

2) Without putting them down, and making sure you come from a non-judgmental place, perhaps speak with them as the poster above suggested. Talk about how you budget for a few large luxury items instead of their weekly, smaller indulgences. I find that many women don't know how much the "little things" really add up.

3) I have seen many harsh comments to "not associate with them" or "Find a new place to work" - I feel that's a strong reaction. Just do your best to change the subject, or educate them on your great budgeting techniques, or just ignore their words... but encouraging you to leave your steady job is kind of a stretch, just because of a few ill-mannered coworkers. BUT, if you do want a new job, then by all means - go get one!

I hope it all works out wonderfully for you and your bf!