Why doesn't Hermes fine jewelry hold its value?

addiCCted

O.G.
Feb 4, 2012
Title self explanatory.....I really want to buy H fine jewelry....but seeing the second hand prices....makes it reeaaaally hard to not just buy pieces I want second hand......Why doesn't H jewelry hold its value? Some piece I think look really nice...ie Kelly ring, ...kelly bracelet...kelly chain bracelet....h dancre rings and bangles...

Reactions: Goldberry
Because Hermès is more associated with leather goods than jewelry. They initially started as a saddle-making company unlike, say, Van Cleef and Arpels that positioned themselves as a jewelry company from day one. That's why today VCA jewelry holds its value compared to H fine jewelry.

On the other hand, even if VCA continues to win awards in horology competitions (they just won 2 this year), their watches will never hold value the same way a lot of Rolex models do, because they have established themselves primarily as a jewelry company, not a watch maker.

I would resist buying the second hand unless its a design that the stores don't carry anymore haha. I think it's quite a sad story cos people are buying these items just because it gets them the bags and not because they genuinely like the items. :-sSince they don't like it, they will sell it, at a loss. Chicken and egg, and that sets the so called "value" associated with it. But alas, if we buy what we really like from the brand, then there's no questions. If some people are finding that they only like the bags and nothing else from the brand (which i really don't get it...), maybe they will soon not like the bags afterall... :cool:

Reactions: Eglofstein
I would resist buying the second hand unless its a design that the stores don't carry anymore haha. I think it's quite a sad story cos people are buying these items just because it gets them the bags and not because they genuinely like the items. :-sSince they don't like it, they will sell it, at a loss. Chicken and egg, and that sets the so called "value" associated with it. But alas, if we buy what we really like from the brand, then there's no questions. If some people are finding that they only like the bags and nothing else from the brand (which i really don't get it...), maybe they will soon not like the bags afterall... :cool:

I disagree. I have a few pieces of fine jewellery (and am open to try more) bought new. I don't want any bags atm.

Fine jewellery goes up as everything does. Comparing anything to full current retail price(s) doesn' always show depreciation, but often retail appreciation.

I'm glad I bought some of my earrings when I did, they're up 33-50% on the price I paid.

I disagree. I have a few pieces of fine jewellery (and am open to try more) bought new. I don't want any bags atm.

Fine jewellery goes up as everything does. Comparing anything to full current retail price(s) doesn' always show depreciation, but often retail appreciation.

I'm glad I bought some of my earrings when I did, they're up 33-50% on the price I paid.
I agree with your disagree haha. I meant that it is a sad story that people are buying the FJ the way they are, i'm definitely not supportive of that haha.

I buy those that appeal to me from the stores too, whilst resisting to check what prices they sell for second hand. Out of sight, out of mind! Also because i prefer the whole store experience and my jewelry brand new! :graucho:

Personally (maybe this should go in unpopular opinions LOL) I’m happy to find perfectly lovely jewelry at less than half retail due to so many folks apparently chasing down a “prespend” number. I’ve bought plenty of H FJ at full price already!
Now if anyone wants to resell furniture at half retail :graucho:
Go on facebook. Wannabe VIPs openly solicit to buy anything you want and then sell immediately to the asker for 50% off. You could be their new best friend (I wouldn’t be surprised if your inbox now goes crazy...)

Personally (maybe this should go in unpopular opinions LOL) I’m happy to find perfectly lovely jewelry at less than half retail due to so many folks apparently chasing down a “prespend” number. I’ve bought plenty of H FJ at full price already!
Now if anyone wants to resell furniture at half retail :graucho:
I wouldn't mind some H furniture at half off retail too! :cool:

But I honestly find it quite sad that such lovely pieces are selling for half off (sometimes even more than that) retail for brand new, unworn pieces. All the craftsmanship and thought that goes into these designs just devalued like that.

I guess another thing is while H jewelry is nice, they aren't as comfortable to wear as VCA or Cartier pieces, and there's a difference in the workmanship level.

Sorry if this sounds paradoxical. I just had this internal monologue in my head.

This topic reminds me a lot of the thread about Hermes watches depreciating. I agree with everything said above. Yet, I do not fully understand why depreciation is seen as out of the ordinary? RTW depreciates, watches depreciate, homeware depreciates, and even most bags depreciate.

For example, a Bolide 31 sells for just about 50% or less of its msrp. This belief that everything Hermes ought to appreciate in value or at least not lose any value is quite a novel concept for me. Especially, the fine jewelry depreciates a lot due to how inflated the prices have become. This is true for all brands, but alas Hermes is not seen as a jeweler. Now, I have bought many pieces including some recent high jewelry at retail, and never do I expect them to become pseudo financial investments. Most Hermes jewelry is not limited and will continue to be made for a while (likely undergoing significant price increases), so scarcity really is not at play. I see their jewelry and all pieces as investment in having something nice to wear that I fell in love with.

My (very) unpopular opinion on the subject of this is that a bundle of goods (quota bag + fine jewelry) at retail or second hand totals just about the same. The huge discount one gets on fine jewelry can easily hedge the resale price of a quota bag.

This topic reminds me a lot of the thread about Hermes watches depreciating. I agree with everything said above. Yet, I do not fully understand why depreciation is seen as out of the ordinary? RTW depreciates, watches depreciate, homeware depreciates, and even most bags depreciate.

For example, a Bolide 31 sells for just about 50% or less of its msrp. This belief that everything Hermes ought to appreciate in value or at least not lose any value is quite a novel concept for me. Especially, the fine jewelry depreciates a lot due to how inflated the prices have become. This is true for all brands, but alas Hermes is not seen as a jeweler. Now, I have bought many pieces including some recent high jewelry at retail, and never do I expect them to become pseudo financial investments. Most Hermes jewelry is not limited and will continue to be made for a while (likely undergoing significant price increases), so scarcity really is not at play. I see their jewelry and all pieces as investment in having something nice to wear that I fell in love with.

My (very) unpopular opinion on the subject of this is that a bundle of goods (quota bag + fine jewelry) at retail or second hand totals just about the same. The huge discount one gets on fine jewelry can easily hedge the resale price of a quota bag.
Which is exactly why it resells for as low as it does, it’s not just a coincidence.

ETA I’ve even seen some people of FB do a bundle deal like this “Here are the items I bought to get this bag, including a Finesse jewelry set and the bag. Total retail price for the bundle.” I guess the long play is VIP status for a crazy rare bag? I don’t know but I don’t see those listings sell either… (I mean, if someone wants to play this way, might as well just do it yourself in store and at least get to pick you items.)

Last edited: