Why does hair make such a difference?

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
We all know it does, but why? I just saw an actress on TV that I never really cared for. Always thought her to be sort of mousy and plain Jane, not bad, but nothing special. Just now she had a completely different hair style and it seemed to make all the difference; she looked great, like a different person.

Wigs are a big business too for those who want to change styles in a flash.

The face and body never really change all that much normally, so why does hair have so much effect?

For years we have been conditioned to think that our hair is our crowning glory

that is why the "hairstyle" can make such a difference..

Wigs are great as they bring out the many personalities that we all have

Hair is one of, if not the first thing we tend to notice about people. As Vegas Long Legs said, it's a frame for our faces :smile:

True! if anyone ever watches the make-overs on the Today show with Louis Licari, it is ALWAYS the change in hair - color, cut, style that totally transforms the woman.
These make-overs are proof that it's all about the hair!

hair is something that is immediately identifiable, even from far away. u can't say that about makeup, body or facial features.

also, theres usually a lot more of it on a woman, in a myriad of colors.

also, for mating, good genetics is shown in hair, teeth, skin, all the way back to prehistoric times, so it's hard to beat that for mating instincts.

I agree with others who said it's because it frames your face. That's why you need a great face to pull off super short cuts, and an average looking person can look 10x better with long luxurious hair.

i find that hair also changes my physical weight lol... for example, when i curl my hair, i look much fatter.. but when its straight, i look much slimmer.. in my opinion, its about confidence.. when my hair is straight, i just feel prettier.. but i agree with u.. HAIR makes a HUGE difference!!

I agree with the ladies who said it's all about confidence. I suffer from Crohn's disease and due to a combination of immunosuppressant medication and just general really ill health I lost about 70% of my hair. It was totally unexpected and I think it's then that I realised how much hair really does add to someone.

To me I didn't look like me, it was difficult to portray my style on the outside if I didn't have anything there to style. I ended up getting hair extensions to add volume back again and really no one would know it wasn't my own hair but I suppose I still lost a certain sense of feeling attractive.

it is interesting how much your hair can change how you look. a lot of times, I judge (initially, first meeting basis) people more by their hair than their clothes or looks.