White gold jewelry

SDC2003

May 20, 2018
I don’t know if there is a dedicated thread to just white gold jewelry? Photographs and discussion about wear and tear? Would love to see some stacks.

I’m looking to add some white gold jewelry - rings, earrings and bangles but don’t know how well they hold up? The jewelry I’m looking at is all rhodium plated. I have only purchased rg jewelry in the past but would love to add some wg pieces with diamonds. If you own wg would love to hear about wear and tear and needing to recoat the rhodium.

Reactions: darkangel07760
Thanks for starting this thread. I need to add one more white gold bangle and I’m at a loss!
Right now I have just the 3 WG bangles here, but thinking of adding WG Clash, WG diamond Chaumet Lien bangle or something else! I don’t really want another WG Love unless it is a SO for something different.

Attachments

• IMG_8341.jpeg
    IMG_8341.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7028.jpeg
    IMG_7028.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6965.jpeg
    IMG_6965.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 108
Thanks for starting this thread. I need to add one more white gold bangle and I’m at a loss!
Right now I have just the 3 WG bangles here, but thinking of adding WG Clash, WG diamond Chaumet Lien bangle or something else! I don’t really want another WG Love unless it is a SO for something different.
I love your stack. Would you mind sharing about the coco crush bangle and how long you’ve had it and how it’s held up stacked? This is one bangle I’ve been considering. Would also love to hear any thoughts re the juc. I have rg with diamonds and I really love the wg too. I have also been looking at the wh clash. I think it is stunning.

Reactions: nicole0612
I love your stack. Would you mind sharing about the coco crush bangle and how long you’ve had it and how it’s held up stacked? This is one bangle I’ve been considering. Would also love to hear any thoughts re the juc. I have rg with diamonds and I really love the wg too. I have also been looking at the wh clash. I think it is stunning.
Thank you! I love the Coco Crush, because it is a little different, yet blends into the other styles so well. I also prefer this width for stacking. To be honest, it’s quite scratched up, more just from daily use rather than from stacking. Similar to the Love bracelet. I do recommend the WG semi-pave JUC. It is a nice basic for a WG stack. Are there any other WG options you are considering outside of the JUC, Clash or the Coco Crush?

• Thanks
Reactions: SDC2003
Most of my finer jewelry is white gold as well. I’ve always been a cooler metal girl and only dabble in rose or gold. I’m fortunate that I like the slightly antique look some of the items get as the finish wears but newer pieces seem to be much more resistant to the wear. I’m also fortunate that a local jeweler replates for free as a way to get people into his shop. I have a few pieces from them or made by them so I bring many items to them when I visit or get something new or modified. I think you might find local jewellers will do the same or for a reasonable price if needed so don’t let that deter you from adding WG.

• Thanks
My white gold necklaces and bracelets have held up just fine. My white gold rings, on the other hand, turn dull and yellow quickly and need to be rhodium plated a couple of times per year. I’m not hard on rings and always remove them for cleaning and cooking, must be my skin chemistry.

• Thanks
I have WG earrings and necklaces that I have been wearing regularly for 5+ years that haven't needed re-plated. They still look great. I especially like the look of WG with diamonds for the sparkle.

Rings tend to take more of a beating and would be more likely to need to be re-plated after a while; that and the durability factor is why I went with platinum rather than white gold for my engagement ring and wedding band.

My jewellery is an rough equal split between wg, yg and rg. The first piece I bought in my early 20s was a solitaire pendant in wg with a wg chain. I wore that for years. The rhodium plating did eventually wear off. A picture attached, which I took before I sent to my jeweller overseas for reuse. Hard to tell but the chain is definitely not as white as it used to be.

My rule is any items in 'white' that I intend to wear often, are in platinum. All other are wg or wg with rhodium plating. I do change my jewellery each time I head out and it all comes off when I am home. My recommendation is to go for platinum if possible for frequent wear/don't take off items, but if not, the rhodium re-plating isn't that big of a deal. It takes a while to wear off.

Some pics I have on hand. The rings labelled WG are rhodium plated.

Attachments

• Very worn rhodium plated WG.jpg
    Very worn rhodium plated WG.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Platinum & WG (ruby.jpg
    Platinum & WG (ruby.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 66
  • WG, platinum, WG.jpg
    WG, platinum, WG.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 66
I only had one WG ring that I wore most days that I had to get redipped every few years. It wasn't too bad, but the palm side of it showed the color change before the outside where the stones were.
My WG Love bracelet shows the most wear of my 3 golds imo.

Thank you! I love the Coco Crush, because it is a little different, yet blends into the other styles so well. I also prefer this width for stacking. To be honest, it’s quite scratched up, more just from daily use rather than from stacking. Similar to the Love bracelet. I do recommend the WG semi-pave JUC. It is a nice basic for a WG stack. Are there any other WG options you are considering outside of the JUC, Clash or the Coco Crush?
Cartier full pave love but the price is crazy and it’s a hefty piece and I have some wrist issues so I don’t know that it’s a great idea lol. But one item I’m seriously considering is the Chanel Comete bangle in wg. I would wear the wg bangle with a steel watch and so it will bang against it often.

The impression I get from feedback so far is wg rings require more care and likely replating over time. Bangles less so but still need to be careful. daily constant wear may not be the best for wg.

Edit - forgot to mention I adore the semi pave kelly bangle and regret I didn’t get it when it was around 12k. With the price point now and number of carats I can’t pull the trigger. If I find a new one second hand I might consider it.

• Love
Reactions: nicole0612
Cartier full pave love but the price is crazy and it’s a hefty piece and I have some wrist issues so I don’t know that it’s a great idea lol. But one item I’m seriously considering is the Chanel Comete bangle in wg. I would wear the wg bangle with a steel watch and so it will bang against it often.

The impression I get from feedback so far is wg rings require more care and likely replating over time. Bangles less so but still need to be careful. daily constant wear may not be the best for wg.

Edit - forgot to mention I adore the semi pave kelly bangle and regret I didn’t get it when it was around 12k. With the price point now and number of carats I can’t pull the trigger. If I find a new one second hand I might consider it.
I also keep thinking about the Cartier full size pave Love; but I have the same hesitations.
I also love the Comete line. I do think the steel watch and the bracelet would beat each other up, possibly unless they were very fitted.

• Insightful
Reactions: missie1 and SDC2003