Which watch should I get? Cartier panthere & Bulgari Serpenti

circemedusa

Sep 22, 2023
77969FE0-0D37-4CED-BB0B-F0C62E608CAC.png
Preferably both, but these watches. I really cannot choose. They’re both so beautiful and I would love to stack them. Right now I’m leaning more towards the Cartier panthere. If anyone has any input that would be great!

Attachments

• ACB7D907-3D78-4EEA-8774-ADA9FB3CD171.png
    ACB7D907-3D78-4EEA-8774-ADA9FB3CD171.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Love
Reactions: Pevi and etudes
View attachment 5893083
Preferably both, but these watches. I really cannot choose. They’re both so beautiful and I would love to stack them. Right now I’m leaning more towards the Cartier panthere. If anyone has any input that would be great!
though I am a fan of Cartier watches and own several (gold; two tone; and stainless), I find this particular Bulgari far more beautiful (and more unusual) than the panthere. (I tried on and rejected a bulgari serpent watch bc i decided to buy the bulgari tubogas serpenti bracelet instead. And, a serpenti watch would be too much overkill. When I decide to wear a watch with it, I pair it with this older patek.

Since the Cartier panthere was extremely popular in the 1980s (in two tone, and in gold, along with rolex), I just cannot shake the association. one would think that Cartier watches would hold their value far better than Bulgari, but that may not be the case. because there was a period of many years where it was possible to find discounted BNIB Cartier. So, I vote for your bulgari. But, honestly they are both very lovely :smile:
IMG_2306.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SDC2003
View attachment 5893083

Hmm, I like the Bulgari more. The scale links on the strap are very distinctive. It gives a very luxurious appearance. The only part I’m not sold on is the egg-shaped face. I don’t think it looks bad per se, but it’s not as clean as a square/circle/oval/rectangle face.

The Cartier is fine, of course. But I don’t think it’s as special. Also seen more prevalently, and a design that’s easier to find in other brands.

If you have a collection of other watches, the serpenti would stand out more and fill a bigger gap in terms of its appearance. It’s a more unique piece that blends organic shapes with geometric simplicity.

Hmm, I like the Bulgari more. The scale links on the strap are very distinctive. It gives a very luxurious appearance. The only part I’m not sold on is the egg-shaped face. I don’t think it looks bad per se, but it’s not as clean as a square/circle/oval/rectangle face.

The Cartier is fine, of course. But I don’t think it’s as special. Also seen more prevalently, and a design that’s easier to find in other brands.

If you have a collection of other watches, the serpenti would stand out more and fill a bigger gap in terms of its appearance. It’s a more unique piece that blends organic shapes with geometric simplicity.

Thank you for your input! Right off the bat I liked the Bulgari more because it’s much more special and I own a gold serpenti bracelet that I would pair beautifully with. But the Cartier panthere is such a classic, although quite saturated now as you’ve said. This will be my first watch so it’s a difficult decision.

It’s going to be my first watch and I have such a hard time deciding between these two beautiful pieces. Looking for any input.

Right away the Bulgari caught my eye due to how unique it is but the Cartier is just so elegant and a classic staple. I do wonder though if it is over saturated. It seems like everyone has one, although I’m not sure if that’s just an online thing or not. I have not seen too many people with it in person.

I’m going to be stacking the watches and have two stacks already that could work.

Attachments

• C0D03B21-40F2-4AE8-A939-FF0D7D5C4026.png
    C0D03B21-40F2-4AE8-A939-FF0D7D5C4026.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 17
  • FE4D80CA-1FA5-444A-B192-386C8639CA6B.png
    FE4D80CA-1FA5-444A-B192-386C8639CA6B.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: WingNut
View attachment 5893083
I Definitely vote for the Bvlgari.

I worked for Cartier during the mid 1990’s-literally they walked out of the boutique (@880 is quite correct)- in 18ct gold, ss or 2 tone, they were so popular that I cannot see the attraction, also so many copies around.

It’s up to you as you have to wear it(my jewellery pieces are all one offs, and my watches are or common wither)- but unless you like having a watch which was so commonplace 25-30 years ago then the Bvlgari is definitely a better bet.

Such a tough choice!! I absolutely adore the serpenti but imo what sets Bulgari watches apart is the tubogas strap which the seduttori doesn’t have. Personally I’d pick either Serpenti tubogas or serpenti spiga (which also wraps around the wrist, and looks very elegant when stacked), or otherwise go for the panthere which is also an absolute classic. I already have the TT panthere and I do plan on getting a serpenti, so there’s a place for both watches in a collection imo. But my panthere is steel and WG while the serpenti I buy will be steel and RG.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
It’s going to be my first watch and I have such a hard time deciding between these two beautiful pieces. Looking for any input.

Right away the Bulgari caught my eye due to how unique it is but the Cartier is just so elegant and a classic staple. I do wonder though if it is over saturated. It seems like everyone has one, although I’m not sure if that’s just an online thing or not. I have not seen too many people with it in person.

I’m going to be stacking the watches and have two stacks already that could work.
Serpenti is more unique, but if you are worried about resale value - panthere will hold it better. For me panthere is an old ladies’ watch and that opinion is shared by anyone who I ever asked about it. So I’m a bit surprised this watch gained such popularity recently.
Buy the one that sings to you, they are both classic watches.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
I’m biased as I have one (yellow gold and steel version), but I would go for the Panthere. In real life I don’t think it is seen often at all - and I live in a fairly wealthy area. Most people I see with expensive timepieces have a Rolex or the Tank Francaise, normally in steel.

I posted an answer to your question here:https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/whats-on-your-for-sure-longterm-jewelry-wishlist.1040678/page-22

it occurred to me that the tpf members who responded to your query there were responding to the question what is the more special watch (answer Bulgari). Those answers are more in line with a long term jewelry goal for a person who perhaps already has other watches.

thone who respond here, in this thread, are actually answering the more practical question what brand is going to hold its value better and what model has withstood the test of time, which might be better suited to your first post here that this will be your first watch.

In my geographic area, I see many more gold Cartier watches. I do not think this particular Cartier necessarily holds value well due to (paraphrasing @cecchetti ‘s post 323 in the other thread) the extreme saturation of the gold panthere decades ago. (She pegged the gold panthere as reaching the pinnacle of popularity in the 1990s, and she would know better than I ). I simply have a foggy memory of the panthere from the late 80’s ( because I went the other way for a santos). I associate the Tank Francais with the 1990’s (and I have a gold one that was my moms and a TT from those years) but my memory is pretty fuzzy. IMO, people went crazy for the Cartier back then bc in previous years, the TT Rolex datejust jubilee was the top selling watch. These things are cyclical. An issue with the Cartier resale value was that watches in the 1980s-1990s were also frequently discounted up to 60% BNIB. I’ve read articles that Cartier has spent the years since trying to rectify that error in marketing, bc it created a pall over the entire watch industry.

I do think that perhaps the answers to your question on the other thread should be merged here, for a more complete picture on the pros and cons of each watch. :smile:

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: lill_canele
I see way more Panthere's online than in person. I actually don't think I've seen someone wear a Panthere besides myself and the Cartier SA's lol. Though I feel that people in my area prefer Rolex's over Cartier watches. Cartier jewelry, on the other hand, especially love and JUCs are relatively quite common.

Hard to say. Since I already have a pathere, TT, I would be biased and go for the Blvgari, but would go for the Tubogas.

In general, Cartier and Bvlgari watches are not great at holding their value. So, I'd just go with what I love more.
(It is interesting to see Bvlgari holding better than Cartier though)
Here's a comparison of Fashionphile prices with retail:

1699908853015.png 1699908873270.png

1699908891619.png 1699908907638.png
1699908997804.png
1699909295806.png
1699909314829.png

Reactions: kohl_mascara
I definitely think the Cartier Panthere is more beautiful and refined. The Bulgari just seems too dressy and not necessarily an everyday watch, if that makes sense. At least the Cartier can be worn as casual and dressy at the same time, but the Bulgari just looks to be too trendy and elegant. I'm not a fan of it at all.