Which is more durable - matte or shiny croc?

none ! sorry but that is the truth croc need to be handled carefully and taken god care for .
both skins have its pros and cons you have to evaluate what you love best what fits your lifestyle etc.
but if you would ask me shiny can be a bit more carefree (but only just the teeniest bit)
again also depends on color the actual skin etc there is not black and white answer to it

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the damage on exotics (such as scales peeling away due to water damage) is not repairable.

This is one of the reasons I stay well away from exotics. I'm just not careful enough. :sad:

lilach, from my personal experience, I think shiny is just that tiny bit more carefree to use too. Although it doesn't look it! LOL! It's always looking so bling bling!

From personal experience, when shiny gets fine surface scratches, these scratches can be hidden by a good croc skin polish, which I have DIYed before. And likewise, when it loses the shine, the same old polish works like a charm.

But with matte, if it gets a spot, I heard it can't be polished. That spot get shiny whilst the rest of the bag remains matte. (this hasn't happened to me but a friend has told me such a story) I am puzzled as to what Claude would do to clean gently soiled matte croc. Does anyone of personal experience to share?

lilach, from my personal experience, I think shiny is just that tiny bit more carefree to use too. Although it doesn't look it! LOL! It's always looking so bling bling!

From personal experience, when shiny gets fine surface scratches, these scratches can be hidden by a good croc skin polish, which I have DIYed before. And likewise, when it loses the shine, the same old polish works like a charm.

But with matte, if it gets a spot, I heard it can't be polished. That spot get shiny whilst the rest of the bag remains matte. (this hasn't happened to me but a friend has told me such a story) I am puzzled as to what Claude would do to clean gently soiled matte croc. Does anyone of personal experience to share?

Since we are having an exceptionally rainy summer, all exotics are safely stored. It makes me sad but better safe then ruined.

floppykelly, with a rainy summer means more humidity in the air. Mould is a very real danger. Will need to dehumidify the closet/room, or just take them out to air them more often.

Croc needs coddling, that's for sure. If you can live with treating it gently and well, then it's a glorious skin to have......I think it can withstand MINOR upkeep but in general it is not a skin that can be refurbished/repaired.

No rain/snow/beverages, etc..... little humidity and try not to rub those corners. Keep it away from kiddies with messy fingers. Otherwise, you should be ok.

Listen, I've got a matte croc Kelly that I sling around like there's no tomorrow and it's looking just fine....I'm just careful about banging the corners and I don't take it out if it looks like rain.

mrss
can you reccomend a good croc skin polish? i have shiny girls and have never done a diy on them- although i regularly do my regular skin bags.
thank you-