Which influencers do you really trust recommendations from?

It's one thing if you are continually curating your collection, taking an out with the old, in with the new approach. I have noticed many influencers do that, even if their collection is still sizeable. However, with most influencers, the objective is to generate new content, and new purchases help with that. Without social media, I doubt turnover would be so high in their collections. Even luxury is becoming more like fast fashion.

Update. I have now decided to completely stop watching the following influencers on both Instagram and YouTube. WhiLet I never fully trusted them I still watched their content because like them I enjoy some luxury, see what I can purchase, etc
1.Lydia Millen
2. Amelia Liana
3. Chase Amie
4. Fashion Mumblr

After careful consideration I decided that I don't want to fuel their overconsumption habits or allow them to get richer as a direct result of me watching their videos. I know as single viewer or follower it won't make a difference, but I don't want to be the one contributing in the slightest when I still have so much of my goals to achieve that they've already got. The second thing that irritated me is that most of these influencers have very similar styles and tastes, not just in fashion, but also their homes.
But mostly, I was disgusted by their overindulgence during the pandemic. Whilst I understand they may have been financially unaffected (including myself). I did think it was strange. We are still very much in a pandemic and whilst it's nice to have an escape, it shouldn't be to this world of overindulgence and mass consumption or constant ads or their brands in front of me. With everyone wanting stone kitchen floors and pampas grass decor.

The following I watch and follow. I do trust these
1. Colourful Nior - she enjoys luxury brands, but encourage minimalism and savings, etc
2. Sophie shohet - she still consumes more for my liking, but I trust her and like her personality
3. Cassie Thorpe - for her over the top personality and her different taste

Colourful Nior would be my top choice. I would add geek is chic, but she hasn't done anything for a while.
I now spend time watching videos on money habits and home renovations (I'll be hopefully getting my home soon).

It's one thing if you are continually curating your collection, taking an out with the old, in with the new approach. I have noticed many influencers do that, even if their collection is still sizeable. However, with most influencers, the objective is to generate new content, and new purchases help with that. Without social media, I doubt turnover would be so high in their collections. Even luxury is becoming more like fast fashion.
It is more than that, luxury has become a fashion, i.e., buying luxury is trendy right now.
And the more “classic“ (Hermes B/K, CF, C Love, VCA Alhambra...), the trendiest...

Update. I have now decided to completely stop watching the following influencers on both Instagram and YouTube. WhiLet I never fully trusted them I still watched their content because like them I enjoy some luxury, see what I can purchase, etc
1.Lydia Millen
2. Amelia Liana
3. Chase Amie
4. Fashion Mumblr

After careful consideration I decided that I don't want to fuel their overconsumption habits or allow them to get richer as a direct result of me watching their videos. I know as single viewer or follower it won't make a difference, but I don't want to be the one contributing in the slightest when I still have so much of my goals to achieve that they've already got. The second thing that irritated me is that most of these influencers have very similar styles and tastes, not just in fashion, but also their homes.
But mostly, I was disgusted by their overindulgence during the pandemic. Whilst I understand they may have been financially unaffected (including myself). I did think it was strange. We are still very much in a pandemic and whilst it's nice to have an escape, it shouldn't be to this world of overindulgence and mass consumption or constant ads or their brands in front of me. With everyone wanting stone kitchen floors and pampas grass decor.

1. Colourful Nior - she enjoys luxury brands, but encourage minimalism and savings, etc
2. Sophie shohet - she still consumes more for my liking, but I trust her and like her personality

Colourful Nior would be my top choice. I would add geek is chic, but she hasn't done anything for a while.
I now spend time watching videos on money habits and home renovations (I'll be hopefully getting my home soon).
So funny! These are my faves to. They come across as individual, well spoken and aware of Mass consumption. I like a luxury minimalistic approach. I can add Emma Anders, very funny and transparent.

1.Lydia Millen
2. Amelia Liana
3. Chase Amie
4. Fashion Mumblr

I randomly came across this thread and thought it was interesting. I don't watch a ton of youtube anymore unless I'm researching a specific bag/item or a how-to video here or there, but I have seen some videos from those first 4 women you mentioned. I don't care for any of them, especially 1,2, and 4. They seem like carbon copies of each other and very disingenuous. I've come across Chase Amie on several occasions for bag reviews, but haven't really watched anything else because her voice just drones on and I can't listen to it for very long.
I'm not a hardcore minimalist, but I do believe that less is more and their over-consumption is exhausting.

I like Sophie Shohet for the most part, but I have noticed that she is starting to show Senreve and Coach bags, and you know full well she doesn't actually use those. They only seem to be shown when there's a partnership. There's nothing wrong with having a sponsored video here and there, but I lose trust when a youtuber is shilling a bag that they would never actually wear/buy in real life.
As I've adopted more minimalist principles/intentional shopping into my life, I find that Colourful Noir and Caitlin Pawlowski's shift into buying less/ignoring influencers has been very refreshing.
Lastly, she's not an influencer, but I find that Bee Rachael does pretty good bag reviews and seems genuine.

I randomly came across this thread and thought it was interesting. I don't watch a ton of youtube anymore unless I'm researching a specific bag/item or a how-to video here or there, but I have seen some videos from those first 4 women you mentioned. I don't care for any of them, especially 1,2, and 4. They seem like carbon copies of each other and very disingenuous. I've come across Chase Amie on several occasions for bag reviews, but haven't really watched anything else because her voice just drones on and I can't listen to it for very long.
I'm not a hardcore minimalist, but I do believe that less is more and their over-consumption is exhausting.

I like Sophie Shohet for the most part, but I have noticed that she is starting to show Senreve and Coach bags, and you know full well she doesn't actually use those. They only seem to be shown when there's a partnership. There's nothing wrong with having a sponsored video here and there, but I lose trust when a youtuber is shilling a bag that they would never actually wear/buy in real life.
As I've adopted more minimalist principles/intentional shopping into my life, I find that Colourful Noir and Caitlin Pawlowski's shift into buying less/ignoring influencers has been very refreshing.
Lastly, she's not an influencer, but I find that Bee Rachael does pretty good bag reviews and seems genuine.
I agree, nothing wrong with brands like Coach, Michael Kors and Senreve - but if you almost NEVER choose to buy something from them with your own money and only wear the newest model, which has been gifted to you, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. If you really like a brands DNA, I would suspect you to buy more into their history, their Key Pieces or at least more than the influencer campaign stuff. Same goes for bigger Brands like Jimmy Choo, Mulberry, Vuitton etc. Most of the pieces which are part of the Influencer campaigns seem to be an it-bag for maximum of two years. It‘s easy for influencers to exchange those items, but it isnt for the average person. And i doubt that luxe influencers are only directed to a certain target group. The idea of influencers was originally that a „normal“ person inspires us with their honesty as opposed to models, actresses and stars or traditional media because we can identify with them. This is benefit has been lost since most influencers nowadays will advertise anything that brings them more money. Absolutely no transparency left anymore. Leading a glamourous lifestyle is surely tempting but is it worth to contribute to a culture of mass consumption, waste, environmental problems and lack of personality development specially in younger generations? I don’t know. But yet again I have never been in the position to be an influencer, so maybe Iam the wrong person to judge.

I agree, nothing wrong with brands like Coach, Michael Kors and Senreve - but if you almost NEVER choose to buy something from them with your own money and only wear the newest model, which has been gifted to you, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. If you really like a brands DNA, I would suspect you to buy more into their history, their Key Pieces or at least more than the influencer campaign stuff. Same goes for bigger Brands like Jimmy Choo, Mulberry, Vuitton etc. Most of the pieces which are part of the Influencer campaigns seem to be an it-bag for maximum of two years. It‘s easy for influencers to exchange those items, but it isnt for the average person. And i doubt that luxe influencers are only directed to a certain target group. The idea of influencers was originally that a „normal“ person inspires us with their honesty as opposed to models, actresses and stars or traditional media because we can identify with them. This is benefit has been lost since most influencers nowadays will advertise anything that brings them more money. Absolutely no transparency left anymore. Leading a glamourous lifestyle is surely tempting but is it worth to contribute to a culture of mass consumption, waste, environmental problems and lack of personality development specially in younger generations? I don’t know. But yet again I have never been in the position to be an influencer, so maybe Iam the wrong person to judge.

That's a big reason why I prefer watching bag reviews by people who aren't "influencers". They're just normal people who bought a bag, and are putting useful information out there for others who might be interested in the same bag. I don't need opinions on a bag from someone who got it for free. I want to hear an honest opinion from someone who spent their own money on that bag, whether it be in a video on YouTube, or here on Purse Forum.

That's a big reason why I prefer watching bag reviews by people who aren't "influencers". They're just normal people who bought a bag, and are putting useful information out there for others who might be interested in the same bag. I don't need opinions on a bag from someone who got it for free. I want to hear an honest opinion from someone who spent their own money on that bag, whether it be in a video on YouTube, or here on Purse Forum.
Yes! Absolutely agree!

Reactions: Lavendera and mgrnt
I found luxpurselove recently, i think her name is melinda. She seems pretty honest as well.
Yep i was very disappointed in Sophie shohet shilling the senreve bags.
I watched colorful noir & she talks about minimalism, but still has a lot of bags on her insta. So idk if I really believe she is so minimalistic.
I haven't seen anyone's instagram accounts, but that's interesting to know. I think maybe she's more about enjoying what she currently has, and really putting thought into any future purchases, instead of buying just for the thrill of having something new and trendy. I do recall in one video that she mentioned selling a lot of items in her collection already, so maybe she's still in the process of curating her collection. Who really knows.

none really, I used to read a bunch of blogs but got out of that. now it like stuff comes in and they shill it. I think their friend and fam must like them very much KWIM

I was following a Luxury makeup/skincare person for a while but I got turned off once she started destashing and buying multiples of Chanel blushes, etc. 2 years ago I wouldn't have had a reaction but now it seems out of touch.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
The idea of influencers was originally that a „normal“ person inspires us with their honesty as opposed to models, actresses and stars or traditional media because we can identify with them. This is benefit has been lost since most influencers nowadays will advertise anything that brings them more money. Absolutely no transparency left anymore. Leading a glamourous lifestyle is surely tempting but is it worth to contribute to a culture of mass consumption, waste, environmental problems and lack of personality development specially in younger generations?

This is something i have reflected more in recent months. My relationship with influencers has been rocky to say the least. On the one hand i shouldn't judge influencers for making money, and on the other hand I dislike many of them for straightout lying to their viewers. When i started watching lux youtube content, i genuinely thought many of them were honest and sincere in their reviews. How naive I was back then

I have been wondering if brands pay online retails/marketplace and they in turn ask influencers to mention the brand to boost visilibity. If so then it's probably part of the service package that they offer to brands. When there is lot of money involved why not take a cut for yourself...

I know this might sound harsh but lux community in youtube has become boring to me. It's always Chanel, Dior, Hèrmes or Lv. Not that there is anything wrong with these brands in particular, but prominent influencers know that mentioning these brands will generate more views so they are often featured in videos.

The lux content in youtube is bland nowdays. There is no risk-taking, no creativity and no personality. Instead there are clickbaiting and repeated content being produced over and over again. I am bored. Perhaps i shouldn't be so harsh to influencers because it's youtube that pushes these type of content to generate even more revenue. They just produce the type content that algorithm will pick up.

Last edited:
This is something i have reflected more in recent months. My relationship with influencers has been rocky to say the least. On the one hand i shouldn't judge influencers for making money, and on the other hand I dislike many of them for straightout lying to their viewers. When i started watching lux youtube content, i genuinely thought many of them were honest and sincere in their reviews. How naive I was back then

I have been wondering if brands pay online retails/marketplace and they in turn ask influencers to mention the brand to boost visilibity. If so then it's probably part of the service package that they offer to brands. When there is lot of money involved why not take a cut for yourself...

I know this might sound harsh but lux community in youtube has become boring to me. It's always Chanel, Dior, Hèrmes or Lv. Not that there is anything wrong with these brands in particular, but prominent influencers know that mentioning these brands will generate more views so they are often featured in videos.

The lux content in youtube is bland nowdays. There is no risk-taking, no creativity and no personality. Instead there are clickbaiting and repeated content being produced over and over again. I am bored. Perhaps i shouldn't be so harsh to influencers because it's youtube that pushes these type of content to generate even more revenue. They just produce the type content that algorithm will pick up.
Absolutely right! Nothing wrong if there was more diversity. What’s with the lesser known designers like Pucci, Victoria Beckham, Givenchy, McQueen and there are so many more. When I see a ton of influencers looking like clones, it has an opposite effect on me: I like it very rarely.