Which grammar/spelling errors are your pet peeves?

@ksuromax, I agree with you regarding the rude people who seem to only be interested in correcting others' grammar or typos, nevermind the thought behind the post. You just know those overly critical people must be a total pain to live with. I don't feel it's my place to correct anyone until I reach perfection! :nuts:
Something that throws me are words that changed pronunciation at some point over the years. The word sheik for example. We were taught back in the dark ages to pronounce it with a long e. When did the proper way become shake? No one told me, so in my vocabulary it remains a long e.
Another minor mental irritation is the placement of an e before i as in releif instead of relief, but that goes back to a rhyme that was drummed into my generation. I before e except after c or when sounding like a as in freight or weight. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, one of which was once sheik.
I don't feel you should correct another's typos or misspellings unless you are being paid to proofread and catch those mistakes. I tend to write the way I speak and being from the South, my speech patterns are certain to irritate someone. There's more important issues in my humble opinion. Correcting another just tends to irritate or hurt feelings and adds nothing to the content.

Reactions: ksuromax
@ksuromax Correcting another just tends to irritate or hurt feelings and adds nothing to the content.

The exception being, for those who ask for that help, it's a kindness to provide it. Also anyone in my immediate family is fair game.:biggrin: Good grammar is as much a value in my small world as education itself is.

--
Continuing: Please don't start a sentence with "Her and I decided to go to..."

The exception being, for those who ask for that help, it's a kindness to provide it...."
@jellyv, I'm sorry if my post was somewhat unclear. I never intended that I would under no circumstances ever correct anyone's grammar, punctuation, spelling. Being paid to proof is the equivalent of being asked, with benefits! Kindness and thoughtfulness are important in any case. Thoughtful reading is also enormously important.
Edited ;)

Reactions: whateve
@ksuromax, I agree with you regarding the rude people who seem to only be interested in correcting others' grammar or typos, nevermind the thought behind the post. You just know those overly critical people must be a total pain to live with. I don't feel it's my place to correct anyone until I reach perfection! :nuts:
Something that throws me are words that changed pronunciation at some point over the years. The word sheik for example. We were taught back in the dark ages to pronounce it with a long e. When did the proper way become shake? No one told me, so in my vocabulary it remains a long e.
Another minor mental irritation is the placement of an e before i as in releif instead of relief, but that goes back to a rhyme that was drummed into my generation. I before e except after c or when sounding like a as in freight or weight. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, one of which was once sheik.
I don't feel you should correct another's typos or misspellings unless you are being paid to proofread and catch those mistakes. I tend to write the way I speak and being from the South, my speech patterns are certain to irritate someone. There's more important issues in my humble opinion. Correcting another just tends to irritate or hurt feelings and adds nothing to the content.
The pronunciation changes bother me too. For years, Halley's comet was pronounced like "Hailey", then all of a sudden it changed. When I grew up you could pronounce the words "either" or "neither" with a long e sound or a long i sound, but most people in America used the long e sound, which I still do. But now everyone uses the long i sound.

Reactions: Lilybarb
@whateve, Hally's comet changed?? :annoyed:
It will always be Hailey in my book too.

Neither or neither with the long i doesn't bother me so much as I tend to use both pronunciations depending on whatever just happens to come out of my mouth at the moment. My fellow Southerners will sometimes give me a sideways glance on the long i usage.

Here's one I always mentally catch. Saying "she gave it to him and I" which is something I hear everywhere, especially on tv. The correct statement would be "she gave it to him and me". Which brings up the proper placement of quotation marks and when it is proper to place a period after a quotation mark. :lol: Oh my, we could go on and on!
One more involves names. The Jones' house is pretty not the Joneses house is pretty. We were taught never ever add an es to the end of a name, that the name NEVER changes. That is the Lewis' car not that car is the Lewises. Additionally when writing a name in a sentence do not break it up if there is not enough room when you come to the end of the line. If there is enough room for the first name but not the last, begin a new line with the first name, even if that shortens the previous line. A name is not to be broken up.
This thread is so entertaining. :lol:

Ugh! YOUS: I have a preschool teaching SIL who will say, "So all of yous get your jackets and go out to recess."
Sorry, but that's CORRECT for Philadelphians, so is she from eastern/upstate PA? It's incorrect, though, in western PA (Pittsburgh), where she'd' say "Yinz." :biggrin:

But seriously, even in professional settings it's hard to keep one's native malapropisms from creeping in.

Reactions: Lilybarb
Youz, yinz, nooo. Ya'll have some funny words up north dontcha?
Seriously, which is pretty difficult at the moment, the use of ya'll is so acceptable in the south that only northern transplants will ridicule it. Personally I'm quite comfortable with that.

Reactions: whateve and jellyv
Sorry, but that's CORRECT for Philadelphians, so is she from eastern/upstate PA? It's incorrect, though, in western PA (Pittsburgh), where she'd' say "Yinz." :biggrin:

But seriously, even in professional settings it's hard to keep one's native malapropisms from creeping in.
I agree! All my relatives are from eastern PA and say yous. But wait!! you should hear my friend who is a Cajun from New Orleans. She blows it all out of the water! When she calls us "dude" (she is in her 50's ) I just have to laugh. Isn't that a term mostly young people use? So often she she will leave a verb out: "we playing tennis?"
In the south it is "ya'll" vs "you guys" in the north.

Reactions: Lilybarb and jellyv
@jellyv, By one's native malapropisms, did you mean regional? I'm asking in earnest, as I cannot pin down a Southern malapropism used often enough that it easily comes to mind. Of course I could be having brain fog at the moment which is quite common. Where are you from if you don't mind my asking, and if you did mean regional what is a common malapropism in your area?
Edited typo :smile: