Which First Chanel bag to Get?

My vote is also for a classic flap. It’s seems like your post indicates the same. I am kicking myself for not getting another color. I love the elegance and design of the classic flap. It goes with every outfit and with occasion. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: kenzo812
What do you carry? I watch a lot of what fits in my purse videos on YouTube before deciding on a bag. I'm positive a mini can hold my phone, key pouch, a small card holder and lipstick without a problem and possibly squeeze in glasses too. That's all I carry + a water bottle which stays in my hand. It seems to be a great everyday bag and also casual as you can crossbody. I have a small classic and it's too fancy to be an everyday bag for me. But I am so glad to have it even though I did get it after massive price increases last year.
I carry similar items plus hand sanitizer, tissues, and the occasional small stuff for my son. The mini will probably hold my bare essentials however, I need some small extra space when I am out with my son for those unforeseen events when he "needs something" from my purse.

If it's your first bag and you've always wanted one, I'd go with the classic flap, but look out for deals on a vintage one. They're still pricy, but you can find deals if you check frequently (vintage ones you can often find for half of retail cost/ about the price a mini goes for). I got mine for 2.5K USD after the exchange rate in japan last year

I will do that. Did you travel to Japan to buy your bag? Or was it an online transaction? I'd be interested to know where the reliable places are in Japan to buy pre-loved Chanel if I ever go in the future. But that seems to be a topic for a different thread. Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

If traveling, I recommend getting the mini. But if it’s the classic flap you really want, buy it now. Prices will only go up. You can buy other bags to fill the need/gap, but you’ll still end up wanting and buying the classic flap later at a higher price.
This!! I find myself looking at other bags to fill the gap and justify it by thinking that I can have a couple of Gucci, LV, etc. for the price point. Then find myself longing for a Chanel. I am trying very hard not to splurge on another brand and keeping the eye on the prize of what I want. I still cannot justify spending over $5k for a bag, hence considering other styles that are in the lower end of the price range.

Should I even consider the Chanel Statement Flap? I think the size is ideal compared to the mini and half the price of the classic flap. I will look at the mini measurements again to see if this is something that will work for me. I would like to consider the mini as well as long as the size works. I know my heart wants the CF, but also a bit afraid that I will not want to carry it on a regular basis because of the price point. Also do not want to be a target when out and about. It's just different these days after the pandemic. Apologize in advance if I am so indecisive; I want to make sure I consider each and every angle before making a decision.

Last edited:
I would suggest a mini flap or seasonal WOC that gives you a classic look. The classic flap is not an everyday bag in my opinion (soo expensive now, can be delicate, & sometimes too loud in social settings). I love mine, but I don’t use it daily or bring it on trips. Instead I bring my smaller bags (mini flap, classic WOC, 19 WOC). These are better suited for my lifestyle and perhaps yours!

I carry similar items plus hand sanitizer, tissues, and the occasional small stuff for my son. The mini will probably hold my bare essentials however, I need some small extra space when I am out with my son for those unforeseen events when he "needs something" from my purse.
Look into the 19. It might be more in line with your needs. Will fit your essentials and it's a casual daily bag. It's not a classic but I really don't find the classic flap to be an everyday bag. The medium doesn't fit that much more than a mini/small either. Maybe a jumbo instead but it's very heavy from what I've heard.

Reactions: kenzo812
Should I even consider the Chanel Statement Flap? I think the size is ideal compared to the mini and half the price of the classic flap. I will look at the mini measurements again to see if this is something that will work for me. I would like to consider the mini as well as long as the size works. I know my heart wants the CF, but also a bit afraid that I will not want to carry it on a regular basis because of the price point. Also do not want to be a target when out and about. It's just different these days after the pandemic. Apologize in advance if I am so indecisive; I want to make sure I consider each and every angle before making a decision.
YES