Books & Music Which books have you bought recently?

Primarycook-so the In one Person is worth getting?-been contemplating it, cause I like his other writings. Thanks

Oh my goodness, sorry, I am just seeing this now (don't get down to this section too often). To answer your question, so far I am halfway through and I still like it. It's not the best book I ever read or wonderful, but it is holding my interest. If you like his other writings, I think you'll enjoy it. It does rehash some of the usual things, i.e., the wrestling, absent bio dad, cross dressing type stuff, etc.

Oh my goodness, sorry, I am just seeing this now (don't get down to this section too often). To answer your question, so far I am halfway through and I still like it. It's not the best book I ever read or wonderful, but it is holding my interest. If you like his other writings, I think you'll enjoy it. It does rehash some of the usual things, i.e., the wrestling, absent bio dad, cross dressing type stuff, etc.
Thanks I will-I new someone who was a cross dresser-may give me some insight

A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor
Angle of Repose by Walter Stegner
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Red Azalea by Anchee Min
The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe
Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino
The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham
The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham
Cakes and Ale by W. Somerset Maugham
Theatre by W. Somerset Maugham

Oh goodness, I've bought far too many books lately.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - so good, so twisted.
Broken Harbor by Tana French - oh man, one of my favorites this year. I adore Tana French; everything I've read by her has been fantastic.
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton - I haven't read this yet, but if it's anywhere as good as The Forgotten Garden, it'll be fabulous.
The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - an old favorite that I've finally gotten around to purchasing. So glad I did!

I recently bought a bunch of Lisa Jackson, Lisa Gardner, and Heather Graham books at a yard sale for 50 cents each. I love yard sales! I have been getting so many books for next to nothing.

LucyLuvsHolos said:
My boyfriend bought me 50 Shades of Grey cause it was like 6 dollars. I haven't started reading it yet, I find it more cheesey than erotic.

I found it very cheesy too. Almost embarrassed to admit I read it but had to see what the hype was about.

I just bought the 50 shades trilogy because I couldn't stand being the only woman around who hadn't read them lol Also bought the new Catherine Coulter, Alex Kava and Kay Hooper mysteries.

Blue Nights by Joan Didion. The day she and her husband brought home their adopted newborn daughter Quintana Roo from the hospital, the years of her growing up, the memories which surge forth seem genuine. Oftentimes, however, I dislike Didion's style of writing, most particularly the repetitions at the beginnings of sentences. It appears contrived, to me.

I read and re-read her previous book, The Year of Magical Thinking , which describes her reaction to the sudden death of heart failure of her husband of more than forty years, John Gregory Dunne. She employed the same "style" in that book as well.

Leaving that aside, little did I know when I first read the book that I, too, would be confronted with the sudden death of a husband who died of heart failure. I came home from work, my husband was dead.