Books & Music Which books have you bought recently?

Just bought:

The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud (impulse buy, know nothing about it)

The Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant, because short stories are my favourite and I love the three GdM stories I've read so far

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro because it's raining here and I felt like something slow, blurry and darkish

One Day by David Nicholls because my friend was reading it while we were sailing

Stuff: Compulsive Hoearding and the Meaning of Things--Randy O. Frost & Gail Steketee
The Reversal--Michael Connelly
Bad Blood--John Sanford
The False Friend--Myla Goldberg
The Age of Innocence--Edith Wharton
The Basketball Diaries--Jim Carroll
Earth to Earth--John Cornwell

Some horror books, perfect for Halloween reading:

The Fall -- Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Dust -- Joan Frances Turner
The Book Of The Living Dead -- edited by John Richard Stephens
Pariah -- Bob Fingerman

Memoirs of a Geisha was fantastic!! Our book cluB read it many years ago, and we gave it an A!

This is a great book! My BF recently purchased a copy of the film/DVD for me and I can't wait to watch the film once more. The film won three Academy Awards: Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design.

Last edited:
Am I the only who thought Memoirs of a Geisha was horrible and contrived? I must be! :thinking:

Its been a long time since I read it, but I remember not liking it as much as everyone else. From what I remember I had the impression that it just seemed transparent that this was just an older western male writing a story about a young eastern woman.. it felt like a lot of well done historical research instead of an organic story.