Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Hermes Mini Roulis, black evergrain leather, gold/permabrass hardware

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Itinerantd

May 6, 2018
Hello, I am having trouble deciding between 2 bags for an important dinner I have that is part of an interview for an important job.

I need a small enough bag to carry to dinner, not too dressy but not too casual, business-appropriate is the best. Also best not to be too recognizable as luxury, but still needs to be sharp.

I only have 2 bags that sort of fit the bill at this point in my collection.

If you have another suggestion, it needs to be purchase-able within the next week - please comment what you have in mind, appreciate your thoughts!

Problem with the Chanel WOC: the strap is a so black chain only, no leather interwoven - may be too edgy or too dressy.
Problem with the Hermes Mini Roulis: the gold/permabrass hardware is really shiny/stands out and does not go well with my chosen outfit which is more black/white/gray/blue.

I'd go with something that has no/very little visible branding but where the quality shows.
For example something with just a foil stamp that you can keep towards your body.
If you need a bag just for this occasion, you could rent something unless you want to buy a bag that you could use for future engagements as well.

Reactions: Itinerantd
Honestly neither if you don’t want the bag to scream luxury. What’s your budget if you were to buy something?
If I don’t love the bag and is just for this probably under $700- it might be used for a few similar situations in the future. If I really love it, I might go higher meaning I’ll use it lots more later. Appreciate any recommendations!

Last edited:
I would go with a descreet style like the LOEWE Flamenco clutch in black: Beautiful soft leather, no logos, no hardware.

You can wear it as a clutch, but also with the strap as a shoulder bag or crossbody. It's very versatile. I love it very much!

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:
I vote WOC bc it’s a reissue with so black hw.

it should fade into what you are wearing even if the strap is a chain.

you can tuck in the strap.

with all the influencer focus on Hermes, the roulis may not be as discreet
as one would think

ETA: my vote would have gone the other way if your WOC was a classic logo one.
I don’t think you need to buy a new bag, but if it’s the kind of positi9n where
you need a non logo, non hw bolide or loewe puzzle, then you might consider that
as a next purchase once you have the job

Most people don't recognize the Roulis. It's a casual-ish bag but with permabrass will look more formal. Any quilted bag with a chain strap could be recognizable Chanel.
Honestly the bag you bring should not make or break your interview. (If you dragged in a Birkin or something covered in logos, maybe.) As soon as you sit down to dinner, the bag is out of sight and out of mind.
I'd focus on what you have to say, your knowledge as applicable to the situation and position, and creating good relationships. If I were you, I'd spend time researching the attendees and company rather than worry about the bag :flowers:

It can depend on a variety of factors, but I'll just talk about a few:
- high vs mid vs lower positions will each have their own standing/status and expectations. I can see a Chanel or Hermes bag in a dinner interview for a high position or anything between mid and high. But anything mid to lower, is not something I would feel comfortable with. I remember when someone came in for a mid/average level position and her bag for the interview was a logo LV backpack with Valentino 3.5 inch heels. An that started a bit of gossip on the day of her interview. (She is a lovely person, very kind and hard working, she was hired.)
- Generation. Generation of the interviewer and generation of the interviewee. Generally, showing that one has money is frowned upon by an older and more conservative generation. They may even judge someone as carrying designer items as someone who cares more about him or herself (appearance-wise) than the job itself. [that was exactly the case with a Gen Z'er. She brought in the LV watercolor, leather, neverfull, MM size, and that's pretty much all she cared about, all looks, no substance. Always cared about her appearance, weight, makeup, etc. Leave the office for hours on end to god knows where. She didn't last long.]
Yet, we have noticed that younger Generations seem more okay with wearing and carrying around luxury. It appears to be more acceptable especially among the Gen Z'ers.
- Type of people. (honestly, probably the one thing that is the most significant) Some people care. Some don't. Some will judge and some don't. That's just the luck on the draw in life. If you have met the interviewers before, then maybe you have an idea of what kind of people they are. ;)

I remember, for my interview, with the executive director at the time, I had a technical laptop/messenger bag. I don't think he cared or knew anything about luxury. But he was very perceptive and will notice details and comment on them.
I noticed that his VP, the director, (who sat 2 doors away from my office), had a Burberry banner bag and a neverfull. (or at least, those were her work staples). I too had a Burberry banner bag, actually 2. But I made sure never to wear them to work. Too weird, I thought, to be wearing the same luxury bags as the director when I literally just started.
Years later, she's now executive director, and we are good professional work friends. And I can probably bring whatever I want to work and she wouldn't bat an eye. But I like being low-key (or as low-key as I can), and stick to my longchamp. :smile:

The interview is about you & you should come across being confident about either bag you carry
You just might be overthinking the "bag" thinking that someone who will recognize a
luxury bag, but should that be the case, opt for the Chanel..
Agree here with @QuelleFromage "Focus on what you have to say & your knowledge"
That is what is going to speak loud & clear during your dinner interview , Your bag will
be on the chair & out of sight, JMO

Last edited:
I agree with @QuelleFromage and @Love Of My Life. Am bolding their words as they've already said it best.

Most people don't recognize the Roulis. It's a casual-ish bag but with permabrass will look more formal. Any quilted bag with a chain strap could be recognizable Chanel.
Honestly the bag you bring should not make or break your interview. (If you dragged in a Birkin or something covered in logos, maybe.) As soon as you sit down to dinner, the bag is out of sight and out of mind.
I'd focus on what you have to say, your knowledge as applicable to the situation and position, and creating good relationships. If I were you, I'd spend time researching the attendees and company rather than worry about the bag :flowers:

The interview is about you & you should come across being confident about either bag you carry
You just might be overthinking the "bag" thinking that someone who will recognize a
luxury bag, but should that be the case, opt for the Chanel..
Agree here with @QuelleFromage "Focus on what you have to say & your knowledge"
That is what is going to speak loud & clear during your dinner interview , Your bag will
be on the chair & out of sight, JMO

I know this is probably not going to be popular, but just because the bag or shoes you wear shouldn't impact your interview, doesn't mean it won't.

The reason is it depends on the people interviewing you. I have worked with two women now, one above me in office status at the time, the other not (now). One time at the previous job, the VP had a hate on for me the day she saw my shoes (I don't remember what I was wearing at the time). She actually complained to a peer that how could I even afford that, it must be because I don't have children.

These women were/are seriously jealous and toxic and yes, it made for a bad workplace. These are not 'lift up the sisterhood' type of coworkers. So if you want to use it as a screener for people who care about such things, fine. If you NEED a job, though. I would go for quiet luxury.