Where do you think all the money from fake sales go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanelbaby

Jul 2, 2006
I would never buy a fake as I know the production of fakes is illegal and that people in poorer developing countries are exploited but has there actually been any real investigations into where all the money channelled? I've also never heard of any arrests in the press.

If you got to IACC.org and download their "Facts on Fakes" report, it documents several examples of counterfeit items being used to fund criminal/terrorist activities. Here are a few examples: Police in New York bust a major drug trafficking ring. In addition to the drugs, they found counterfeit bags. The smugglers were sewing drugs into the linings of the bags in order to smuggle the drugs. They would then remove the drugs from the bags and sell both the drugs and the bags. Police also busted another ring where the drug traffickers were selling fake Rolex watches to launder their drug money. The terrorists involved in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing were selling fake designer clothing. An Arab man was arrested and convicted for selling counterfeit cigarettes for Hezbollah. Authorities seized Al-Qaeda training manuals that specifically mentioned counterfeit merchandise as a means of funding terrorist action. A known Al-Qaeda member was caught receiving a shipment of counterfeit perfumes. These are just a few of the instances of criminal/terrorist activity being tied to counterfeiting in the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.