Where do you put your H bag when you are out?

Hello all!

I'm a first time Birkin owner, and will be traveling to my NYC (my hometown), soon. I will be carrying my B40 most everywhere, as I generally need a huge bag whenever visiting NYC.

So my question is, do you rest your larger sized Birkins on the floor, in your lap, or somewhere else? What about when shopping, can she sit on the glass display case in upscale boutiques? Will sales associates look at me like I'm insane when those Birkin feet clank down? What about on the subway? I've seen some images of Birkins resting on dirty subway floors. Gasp! What about restaurants, do you order another seat for your Birkin? Dinner for three then becomes dinner for four? Usually, in restaurants I'd sling my bag over the corner of my seat. But I don't know if I'd be comfortable doing this with a Birkin. Also, can larger Birkins transition decently into evening? Nothing swanky--but say, a sushi dinner?

Any thoughts?

Yes, I would just use your common sense and innate native New Yorker instincts! E.g. keep the bag where you can see it at all times, don't put it down a filthy surface where who-knows-what germs and other unmentionables are lurking. And I would say that a Birkin is totally fine for a sushi dinner! Use it and enjoy it in any situation that is practical and convenient for you.

Thank you for your responses. :smile:

My instinct would be to seat her on an open chair in a restaurant, and to rest her on the display case of boutiques. But I wonder if this might be over the top.

Thank you for your responses. :smile:

My instinct would be to seat her on an open chair in a restaurant, and to rest her on the display case of boutiques. But I wonder if this might be over the top.
I don't think this is over the top at all! I do this with all my bags and very rarely if ever do I get funny looks from people. I was in an extremely high end restaurant in Puerto Rico a few months ago, and the restaurant even had designated little purse stools next to the tables! So I think people are more understanding of women wanting to take care of their luxury bags than we think they are. I would just do all of these things and handle the Birkin nonchalantly. As long as you don't make a big fuss/show over it, I doubt people will even notice.

...keep the bag where you can see it at all times

And I would say that a Birkin is totally fine for a sushi dinner! Use it and enjoy it in any situation that is practical and convenient for you.

Absolutely, even with moderately priced bags, they're NEVER out of my sight.

Great, I was hoping she could make the transition from day to casual evening.

Reactions: cafecreme15
I don't think this is over the top at all! I do this with all my bags and very rarely if ever do I get funny looks from people. I was in an extremely high end restaurant in Puerto Rico a few months ago, and the restaurant even had designated little purse stools next to the tables! So I think people are more understanding of women wanting to take care of their luxury bags than we think they are. I would just do all of these things and handle the Birkin nonchalantly. As long as you don't make a big fuss/show over it, I doubt people will even notice.

Loloool, that's fabulous regarding the purse stools! I was thinking that maybe a child's high chair might also suffice, lol. Yes, handle her nonchalantly, I like that!

Reactions: cafecreme15
Hello all!

I'm a first time Birkin owner, and will be traveling to my NYC (my hometown), soon. I will be carrying my B40 most everywhere, as I generally need a huge bag whenever visiting NYC.

So my question is, do you rest your larger sized Birkins on the floor, in your lap, or somewhere else? What about when shopping, can she sit on the glass display case in upscale boutiques? Will sales associates look at me like I'm insane when those Birkin feet clank down? What about on the subway? I've seen some images of Birkins resting on dirty subway floors. Gasp! What about restaurants, do you order another seat for your Birkin? Dinner for three then becomes dinner for four? Usually, in restaurants I'd sling my bag over the corner of my seat. But I don't know if I'd be comfortable doing this with a Birkin. Also, can larger Birkins transition decently into evening? Nothing swanky--but say, a sushi dinner?

Any thoughts?
Do whatevet is comfy for you. Ive placed my bags (H and non H) on diplay cases while shopping and SAs never give me stares. Just my opinion but a b40 is very large to be on your lap at dinner (ive had b40s) so if it goes with you to dinner than probably on the floor if restaurant is crowded or otherwise a little stool if they offer you one.

Reactions: Demi8
Dear all, I can't find a similar topics on this. if there is an existing thread pls lead me and apologise for that. I have to admit that I baby my bags and will try my best to avoid getting them dirty or scratched as far as possible . however I am unsure how to do it in a cafe or restaurants. Any tips? Do you just put it behind your back while seated or put it on the chair beside? Or did you do any extra things to prevent them from food and drinks mishaps etc?

Last night I had exactly this dilemma. I came from a visit to Hermès ;) and we went straight to dinner, at a place where we normally eat at a bar. I had my brand new Kelly with me and I put the bag on the bar stool next to me. As the bar filled up, a woman asked for the seat. So I put the bag on the chair with me. I'm small but there isn't room on a bar chair for me and a K32, unless I want to lean against the bag like a chair back, which defeats the purpose, so I was kind of squished in the seat. If I had hung my bag on the bar hooks, it would have stretched the strap, banged against the bar, and been really close to other people's feet for possible kicking. The woman who sat down next to me actually asked me why I was sitting with my bag and not hanging it on a hook.
At this point it seems to me that the safest place for the bag is on the floor, safely between MY feet, protected by the chair. But bag on floor is verboten. What to do?

Last night I had exactly this dilemma. I came from a visit to Hermès ;) and we went straight to dinner, at a place where we normally eat at a bar. I had my brand new Kelly with me and I put the bag on the bar stool next to me. As the bar filled up, a woman asked for the seat. So I put the bag on the chair with me. I'm small but there isn't room on a bar chair for me and a K32, unless I want to lean against the bag like a chair back, which defeats the purpose, so I was kind of squished in the seat. If I had hung my bag on the bar hooks, it would have stretched the strap, banged against the bar, and been really close to other people's feet for possible kicking. The woman who sat down next to me actually asked me why I was sitting with my bag and not hanging it on a hook.
At this point it seems to me that the safest place for the bag is on the floor, safely between MY feet, protected by the chair. But bag on floor is verboten. What to do?
Lap... clean napkin over the bag while eating... then off.
This situation is the worst case scenario for me. But have been there... done that.. in NYC