When I was starting my Hermes journey, I wish I knew...

When I was starting my Hermes journey… well I did not know I was on a journey I thought it was just innocent shopping. (LOL) no regrets though lovin’ every minute of the odyssey.
Luckily I started my journey long before the current social media frenzy so…
1.Don’t believe anything you see online, IG or you tube influencers are there for the clicks. Many of them didn’t even have Hermes on their radar till the frenzy begun. Their Hermes journey is just for followers and the public fascination for the brand.
2. There is no such thing as official prespend. (Not in Europe anyway) it’s not like quid pro quo. If you don’t like something for it’s own merit don’t pretend you like it so you can get bags. It will likely lead to bitter disappointment.
3. Luckily my own ‘journey’ predates the awful awful AWFUL term ‘quota bag’ so I’ve never used it. It was really only invented to keep clients from buying every bag in sight and (sometimes) reselling them.
4. Do not buy because this or that influencer thinks is a good investment with resale value. It may well be, but it could also be a bubble about to burst.
5. Relationship matters and is a very real thing. Of course it’s not instant though- I mean think about it : how can any meaningful relationship be instant?
6. calm down and breathe. It will take time. Take time to Look at the silks, check out the homeware - enjoy!

When I was starting my Hermes journey… well I did not know I was on a journey I thought it was just innocent shopping. (LOL) no regrets though lovin’ every minute of the odyssey.
Luckily I started my journey long before the current social media frenzy so…
1.Don’t believe anything you see online, IG or you tube influencers are there for the clicks. Many of them didn’t even have Hermes on their radar till the frenzy begun. Their Hermes journey is just for followers and the public fascination for the brand.
2. There is no such thing as official prespend. (Not in Europe anyway) it’s not like quid pro quo. If you don’t like something for it’s own merit don’t pretend you like it so you can get bags. It will likely lead to bitter disappointment.
3. Luckily my own ‘journey’ predates the awful awful AWFUL term ‘quota bag’ so I’ve never used it. It was really only invented to keep clients from buying every bag in sight and (sometimes) reselling them.
4. Do not buy because this or that influencer thinks is a good investment with resale value. It may well be, but it could also be a bubble about to burst.
5. Relationship matters and is a very real thing. Of course it’s not instant though- I mean think about it : how can any meaningful relationship be instant?
6. calm down and breathe. It will take time. Take time to Look at the silks, check out the homeware - enjoy!
Agree 100% ..enjoy your lovely things and relax.

Reactions: ladysarah
I'm more thankful for 'my journey' than 'lessons learned'

I love everything I have, so I can only wish I hadn't been so hard on myself in the first 5 years, and giving myself quite strict rules such as only buy 2 scarves a season (until 2014).

Sometimes we chime with fashion and sometimes we don't. I should have bought almost every cw of some scarves, now it's beginning to get much harder to get excited or even find one in these 'colour family' times.

And don't get me started on the RTW, I wish I could have bought everything I wanted in last couple of JPG years and early Nadége years. I can't even find a pair of shoes I like recently.

I should have trusted myself more. Anyway, I'm H-appy, so I shouldn't complain.

when I started my H journey, I bought well priced reseller kelly and Birkins.
I wish I knew from the start, the following:

1. I was mainly a PHW, not GHW person

2. I did not have to purchase every style of H bag to rule it out

3. A decade later, I would still have some use for. . .Chanel

LOL, live and learn :lol:

To slow down ........ slow way down and like others mentioned, focus on the relationship. After three or four failed relationships I found an amazing SA. He is almost like a mind reader LOL. A great example is that I ordered a pair of Orans and a pair of Santorini sandals. I go to the store to see him, freaking out that I changed my mind on the orans, but I was afraid to tell him. When he comes with my box, he has my Santorini sandals and he says, "I saw the orans and I thought, she is not gonna like this. It's not her style." :eek::eek::eek:Are you for real???? OMG ... that's the SA I was looking for. So thoughtful and the fact that he takes the time to know me it's surreal. I have been extremely blessed to find him!

Some great things said above. Adding some more:

1. Wish I’d bought a couple of Hermes jewelries I was on the fence on due to amount of diamonds for price point. With the significant price hikes since 2020 I just can’t justify buying them from the boutique now esp with the resale prices. Considering buying second hand if I can find the desired gold color and condition.

2. Wish I’d bought a few non qb back in the day when they were readily available and online. Remember when you’d see 15 different colors and varieties of gp in 30/36. And the number of jige?

3. Ditto for slg like calvis.

4. Wish I’d known the versatility of scarves and how they can really elevate any outfit. I missed out on some great designs.

5. It’s easy to overspend here bc the brand has so much to offer so wish I’d been more thoughtful about whether some purchases really added to what I already own.

6. Wish I’d requested from the beginning that items for me not be put into orange boxes. For a while I had shelves of empty boxes bc I felt guilty recycling perfectly good boxes and also a little paranoid about tossing them in recycling bins.